Agios Estin - Gramatically wrong...

Just a random question, I remember telling someone about how flexible Greek is and using the example of Agios Estin, where only a few words change every verse, but then the person told me that Agios Estin is actually written with some very poor grammar because it was written when Greek was waning as a spoken language so the author's didn't really know it that well. Is there anybody who knows Greek who can confirm or deny this?

PFM

Comments

• I can tell you that none of my Greek friends understand it.
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=8282.msg105655#msg105655 date=1251031091]
    Just a random question, I remember telling someone about how flexible Greek is and using the example of Agios Estin, where only a few words change every verse, but then the person told me that Agios Estin is actually written with some very poor grammar because it was written when Greek was waning as a spoken language so the author's didn't really know it that well. Is there anybody who knows Greek who can confirm or deny this?

PFM

that is right. there are many words that can't be found in any lexicon. but it's still a great hymn.

George Ghaly from Boston has done a research about this hymns and it's rhyming set up. I think this is really good: http://www.copticheritage.org/parameters/copticheritage/studies/Agios_Istin_Analysis.pdf
  • Wow minagir thank you very much! That's really interesting! And it pretty much answers my question too.

PFM