Prayer for Obama

edited November 2008 in Prayer Requests
1 Timothy 2:1-2:

[center]
"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way."
[/center]

Here is an excerpt from a Catholic ecclesiastic paper:
When the Apostle Paul wrote to his young disciple Timothy whom he had established over the nascent Christian community in Ephesus, he knew that the task of evangelization and the gradual transformation of that Culture of death would require focused and unrelenting Prayer. Notice that he told Timothy to particularly pray for those with governing authority: “ First of all, then, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all devotion and dignity. This is good and pleasing to God our savior (1 Tim. 2: 1-2)” We must now do so as well. Prayer is a powerful weapon in our arsenal. We need to pray that our President - Elect would see the truth, yes the TRUTH, that children in the womb are our neighbors and that a truly just society must not allow the killing of neighbours to remain “legal”. Can he be converted on this issue? Of course he can. We have the historical witness to prove it in other missionary ages. We also need to pray that those from whom he seeks counsel in his task of governance would tell him the truth concerning this fundamental right to life and persuade him that he must, if he is truly serious about building a just society, bring an end to legal abortion and the dangerous advance of euthanasia.

We must pray for one another as well. The comments which we have received to the articles we have published on Catholic Online since the election have convinced me that there is extraordinary fear and distress within the Pro-Life Christian community. Again, St. Paul shared these words with the early Christians in Philippi who lived in a similar Culture of death: “Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4: 6-7)Finally, even though we know that some who worked against our efforts to defend the innocent came from within our own community and betrayed the truth taught by the Church, we must pray for them as well. The Master Himself made this clear through his own witness of life and in His teaching. “You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you." (Matt. 5: 43 – 44)
The rest of the quite well written paper can be found http://www.catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=30446&page=2 here.

Let us pray that throughout the world, that the leaders who have been given such privilege and responsibility from God, take it seriously- doing what is right rather than what is popular and convenient.