Cloning

edited December 1969 in Introductions
Hi people, I desperately need ur help!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I have to do a presentation in English where I have to argue my point of view about a topic......I've chosen to argue that cloning is wrong. So can you guys please give some information about what the religious view about cloning is, because I also want to argue it from a religious point of view.

Thanks in advance
ur lil Sis

Comments

• " And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7

Cloning is basically..taking some cells from a fertilized embryo..and letting them duplicate to form another human embryo...which would probably have the same DNA as the original embryo....

Who are we to create humans?....we are the creation not the Creator!

When God created Adam He breathed "the breath of life" into him, so the "cloned embryo" does it have a soul??

During the cloning process the original embryo might die, so are we trying to create a life & destory another one?

The cloning that was already done on some animals proved to have .....disadvantages..though the clones were made...all the clones aged quickly or had some complications which caused them to die very early...so ...if animals had died.....then they want to try cloning humans ...so that they can also die quickly?? ::)
  • I think that Anba Moussa said the clones do have a soul as well....correct me if I'm wrong though...

Mike
  • " And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7

ya i dont they think they do ...because they are not "God" created they are "created by humans" and God did not breath the breath of life on it so therefore no soul...
  • you know, now that i think about it, thats actually kind of scary. i mean what if these people do survive (technology is improving every day), they'll still be walking around with no soul. what kind of people will they be? i get the feeling that theres something actually kind of diabolic about it.... its werid how science is improving the way we live with new cures and stuff but also may be screwing it up with ..cloning and stem cell research. What do you guys think? Where do we put a limit on science?
  • hey gigi, do you live in california, what school do u go to?
  • Cloning also uses embryos, many of which will be discarded and destroyed, this is direct abortion.
  • Well I think that probably the world will end before we see people with no soul (according to what you are saying) walking around...

God Bless.

Mike
  • even a cloned human being has a soul. Any human who is alive must have a soul from God to live.
  • hmmm i think what i meant is that it won't have the holy spirit, and thats also scary!!
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=6;threadid=695;start=0#msg12954 date=1097789659]
    " And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7

Cloning is basically..taking some cells from a fertilized embryo..and letting them duplicate to form another human embryo...which would probably have the same DNA as the original embryo....

Who are we to create humans?....we are the creation not the Creator!

When God created Adam He breathed "the breath of life" into him, so the "cloned embryo" does it have a soul??

During the cloning process the original embryo might die, so are we trying to create a life & destory another one?

I think there is a very important point and distinction that must be made. Cloning is not just restricted to the ability of producing a "duplicate" embryo. I think most that is what most people think it is, but its not. For example it is possible to introduce some gentic material (Sequence of specific protein e.g. insulin) into bacteria which would result in bacteria producing this protein. Therefore this type of cloning is good. There are 3 types of cloning: (1) recombinant DNA technology or DNA cloning which I mentioned an example above, (2) reproductive cloning- Dolly the sheep was created by this technology, and (3) therapeutic cloning also called "embryo cloning" its goal is to harvest stem cells. I think its important that in the presentation the different types whould be highlighted because cloning in general is not bad/wrong only in trying to create a cloned human being its considered wrong. Sorry if its a long explanation I tried to keep it simple.

Fady
  • thank you shady, that is very helpfu,
    as shady said not all cloining is bad... also the clones would have a soul...
  • This link may be of some interest to some of you. It is only about stem cell cloning though, but some of it applies.

Titled, The Church's Perspective on Stem Cell Cloning, by H.G. Bishop Serapion.

http://www.lacopts.org/general.php?id=P1426

God Bless,

-George
  • Thanks George for this link. I just read this short article, its quite interesting. There are several isses which I disagree with. Quote "It is very hard to draw a line between therapeutic cloning for research and human cloning" I think its not possible to use this as an argument against cloning because the same logic would apply to few things e.g. nuclear energy, research into viruses/bacteria- where would the applications to help mankind end and the potential to produce weapons of mass destruction. Quote "Christians should support a candidate, who opposes therapeutic cloning and restricts funding on stem cell research." "Christians should oppose any proposition that advances embryonic stem cell research and therapeutic cloning. " Personally I disagree strongly with that. It has been demonstrated over and over again the huge potential of stem cells in curing the incurable. I think we shouldn't rule against something for fear that the technology might be used for something which is unethical.

Fady
  • shouldnt this be in the general discussions??
  • Hi,

to answer a previous question, Anba Moussa DID say that clones have life. They would be able to breathe, think and talk like a human, but he also did say that his soul would not be able to enter the kingdom of heaven (i think ???). To whoever's writing this report, i did the exact same topic a few years ago...and the main point you want to get across that NOT ONLY IS CLONING WRONG AGAINST GOD, BUT IT IS ALSO VERY UNLIKELY...i read an article one time about Dolly (the sheep they cloned in Scotland), and it turned out that Dolly got adult arthritis when she's supposed to be young...which means that clones age much faster.

Hope I've helped!
  • yes cloning is wromg because i believe only God should create life
  • sorry if someone already broght up this...what about cloneing a heart... a kidney... wouldnt that help the world?
  • in my lil opinion
    i think cloning stuff like organs is ok and very helpful. i believe that our church has nothing agaisnt it....

however, cloning a whole person is a whole different thing... which is a very controversial issue (as we all know) and i'm not exactly sure on the church's stand point on that. however, organ cloning should be ok :)

take care and God bless
  • no all togethr cloning is wrong and it shouldn't be tried
    its a wasate of funding and we are not God to make life
    its just not right
  • I think i learned at school that clones might not have a soul, so if they're walking around with no soul, and they get married and have kids, then the kids might not have a soul, or half... idk!! so this would mess up the genetics.. (also people might think that if they keep cloning themselves they can never die or something.. lol) and this is not how God wanted it. and I think they said in Genesis 6:4 it says that angels bore children with humans, so there were giants. and they messed up the genetic structure of humans.. correct me if i'm wrong..
    but the last time we messed with genetics God destroyed living things on the earth with the flood.. who knows.. God could punish us greatly if we continue on with cloning.. and messing with the way things are meant to be. This is one of those things where we just have to say NO.

Genesis 6:4-7
    There were giants on the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
    And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagining of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
    And the LORD repented that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him in His heart.
    And the LORD said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, and the creeping thing and the fowls of the air, for I repent that I have made them."

• I want to get cloned and have little Jerry's running around all over the world...lol...just kidding... :o ;D
  • i did a project on this once..ahh school the things u explor! but i think that cloning an organ is beneficail cloning a full human being is worng, and no they wont have a soul, cause God wont breath life into them! so no soul! besieds the way they Go about cloning, something about stem cells, and how they collect them from fetuses and kill the embryos! those embryos have the potential to be a full human being, and something that God created! its destroying a life...and thats rong too...humm jerrys running around, they would be just like u lol, a one maria like me is enough!

Maria
  • [quote author=jfranklin link=board=6;threadid=695;start=15#msg20386 date=1108080984]
    I want to get cloned and have little Jerry's running around all over the world...lol...just kidding... :o ;D

hahhahahaha LOL!!!
    i dont think we're ready to handle more of you ;).......... ;D
    we'll have too many blessings in the world if you're cloned!!! ;):)

• , a one maria like me is enough!

Lol...Are you sure about that...I think it might be nice to have a few more of you around ;)

dont think we're ready to handle more of you

I think your right....one is more than enough..lol... ;)

we'll have too many blessings in the world if you're cloned

Thanks... :)...but I'm not sure if the world could handle such "blessings"...lol
  • Trust me just ask syvi, if she would want more of me around, i am telling u she thanks GOD everday, that i dont have a twin ! lol !

Maria