Oriental Orthodox Church united

what are our sister churches?!

Comments

• I don't know all of them but i can name a few,

Armenian Orthodox(might be wrong about this one)
    Syrian Orthodox
    Eritrian Orthodox
    Ethiopian Orthodox
    Indian Orthodox
    British and French orthodox fall under our Pope

I think there are more but i don't know them, hope this helped
  • Armenians call themselves the Armenian Apostolic Church just for your information.
  • so are the Armenians are our sister church or not... a for sure answer please
  • Yes, they are for sure a sister church. I was just correcting Jydeacon when he said Armenian Orthodox and Not Armenian Apostolic. One time I asked a guy if he was Armenian Orthodox and He said no, I'm Armenian Apostolic. Apparently, they are two different churches unrelated. Armenian Orthodox is in Communion with the Greek Church (Eastern Orthodox).
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6843.msg91772#msg91772 date=1214599270]
    Yes, they are for sure a sister church. I was just correcting Jydeacon when he said Armenian Orthodox and Not Armenian Apostolic. One time I asked a guy if he was Armenian Orthodox and He said no, I'm Armenian Apostolic. Apparently, they are two different churches unrelated. Armenian Orthodox is in Communion with the Greek Church (Eastern Orthodox).

wow. good to know.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6843.msg91708#msg91708 date=1214538624]
    I don't know all of them but i can name a few,

Armenian Orthodox(might be wrong about this one)
    Syrian Orthodox
    Eritrian Orthodox
    Ethiopian Orthodox
    Indian Orthodox
    British and French orthodox fall under our Pope

I think there are more but i don't know them, hope this helped

i think in another thread, somebody said that Eritrian was a "daughter Church of the Coptic Orthodox" not a Sister Church....  (i could be very wrong.. please correct me)
  • Yea, I could see that. But I still think we call them a sister church.
  • now to the next part of the question... about four years or so ago the pope was in town... and came many visiting priests... one of which was the Armenian priest, and he opened the idea of the youth all becoming united... and at the time he told me i should cook up an idea to have all the youth come together and be united sister churches! so at the time I never thought of any idea of what i could do... thus the idea died... until the end of last year, where i turned one of my novels to a play, with the intentions of making the play an Orthodox used play, in which we can be one side by side doing the work! but again it just didn't go through (or just yet at least) so a few days ago I was visiting a few churches... and in the process I went to the Armenian church... where I met that priest again (which was according to him near impossible to find him in church at that time... and it's probably the will of God) and we spoke about the unity subject again! in which I proposed the idea of maybe making a retreat, for we have a retreat house in our church, or maybe visiting a monastery all the youth together!

but now I am faced with a few problems...

1.) not being humble or anything of that... but I'm the worst of the worst... with past that is stenched with wrong doings. so how can a person like me lead!

2.) I'm afraid if it goes through, something wrong happens between the youth, and I would be the cause... thus i can be a stumbling block

so these ideas, among many more have been racing through my head! and I'm really stressed with this and with all the other problems going on in my life... and I do pray about it, I feel like its a good idea... but then the ideas race again, and again!

another thing I ask for... in your opinion is what are some pros and cons of the situation itself, that you can think of!
  • Great idea, but you need to talk with your church priest. Just consult one of the sunday schol servants and tell him what happened. You obviously can't do this on your own and will need some help. If it is rejected by your church priest or most of the servants than give it up. Just present the idea to your church priest and see if he's ok with it. If he is, present it to the rest of the servants at ure church and have them do most of the work so if something happens, it's really not ure fault since a lot of people were involved including ure church priest. I think it would be a great oppurtunity for both churches and the youth of both churches. It would be a good chance for both sides to meet new people and have a good time. The only thing is, if your going to go ahead and do this, you need to tell abouna ASAP so you can fit it in this summer. If you don't plan on doing it this summer then ure ok. You may cause some problems with the parents of some youth if this is going to happen during the school year since the person wants to go, but their parents don't want them to go and leave their books behind. Good Luck!

PK
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6843.msg91772#msg91772 date=1214599270]
    Yes, they are for sure a sister church. I was just correcting Jydeacon when he said Armenian Orthodox and Not Armenian Apostolic. One time I asked a guy if he was Armenian Orthodox and He said no, I'm Armenian Apostolic. Apparently, they are two different churches unrelated. Armenian Orthodox is in Communion with the Greek Church (Eastern Orthodox).

This is wrong. There is no such thing as an Armenian Church in communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Armenian Apostolic Church and the Armenian Orthodox Church are one and the same Church--two different names for the same Church. The former title gained prominence since Soviet occupation of Armenia, and so some Armenians have become accustomed to it as the official title of their Church; others, aware of its historical roots, find the title offensive (not because they don't consider themselves Apostolic--every Orthodox Church does, but because of the reason for which 'Apostolic' was used as a replacement for 'Orthodox').
  • Interesting Iqbal. Sorry for the wrong info.
  • No need to apologise.

Btw, I meant "soviet occupation of Armenia" ofcourse, and have edited my post accordngly.