Ascension - Pentecost

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
I came across some kind of a piece of information saying that from Ascension through Pentecost the procession is only done inside the altar, three rounds, and only during Matins praises? Is that the practice in your church? And if so, why? I know that the synod agreed to that a couple of years ago, but the question is why - what does this symbolise?
God bless you all and pray for us a lot

Comments

• ummm my church does do it only 3 times in the altar but we don't do it during matins we do it after the catholic epistle...

God bless and pray 4 me
    copticdeacon
  • Yes, but I believe it's seven times not three. On the feast of pentocost, it's after efnoti nai nan in matins but on the Feast of the Ascension and the following sunday before pentocost but after the ascension, it's done seven times in the altar. The procession is not done on weekdays or saturdays following the feast of the ascension. After the reading of the acts, Agios is said right away on those days. Including the Feast of the Ascension, The Feast of Pentocost and the days in between, the procession is done only three times.
  • well first, with Ascension - Pentecost, the procession is done only in the altar 3 times showing that after ascension, the disciples came back to jerusalem, and didn't leav and stayed in the upper room. they have not done any kind of preaching, as a procession around the whole church, the whole world, perfected in 7 rounds in the altar and in the church. so since the altar is Jerusalem, they have not done left it. that is think is the major change.

On Pentecost, the procession was always during matins after [coptic]`V] nai nan.[/coptic] i dono why thoo...:D
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>[/coptic]
    Dear all,
    [coptic]Mareiouohem@ Pijinkw] pe somt `ncop eqoun piervei menenca Pi`praxyc qen }analy`[coptic]'[/coptic]ic nem }kuriaky e;menhe@ [/coptic]
    Let me recap: The processions is three times in the altar after the Acts on the feast of the Ascension and the following Sunday:
    [coptic]alla qen }pentykoc] nem niehoou tyrou ebol outoten nijinkw] ne qen ]ajp `nsorp `mmauatten@ nane?[/coptic]
    But on the Pentecost and the days in between, the processions are only during Matins: right?
    [coptic]Oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=6688.msg89432#msg89432 date=1212616548]
    [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>[/coptic]
    [coptic]alla qen }pentykoc] nem niehoou tyrou ebol outoten nijinkw] ne qen ]ajp `nsorp `mmauatten@ nane?[/coptic]
    But on the Pentecost and the days in between, the processions are only during Matins: right?

no. the days in between are the same as Ascension. 3 in hte Altar. i prayed a liturgy last year with HGB Bisinti and David with more than 20 priests in my church in the saturday after Ascension, like next saturday. the procession was the same.

what's on the Pentecost is its own becasue it is its own feast.
  • Only on Pentecost the procession is during Matins, because after the Praxis the third hour agpeya prayers are to be read followed by the hymn of the Paraklete. You can't do a procession and a Pentecost celebration in the same time, now can u? ;)
  • one things i forgot, and it is late...today, on the feast itslef, the procession is doen fully, regulary with 7 ones around the altar and church. makes sense when you think of the same concept of preaching. because on the way back to the upper room they must of preached.
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>[/coptic]
    Dear all,
    [coptic]]sep`hmot `ntoten[/coptic]
    Thank you all
    [coptic]]nou ]ka] `en,ai niben eta `ntoten anbwl erouw[/coptic]
    Now I understand everything that you explained
    [coptic]Ouoh ]ouws je qen taek`klyci`a nirwmi eulwjou e;be tenmetsau[/coptic]
    And I hope that in my church people stick to them for our benefit