Monk attire...

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
i was wondering if anyone could explain why monk/bishop attire has changed so much in only a few years?
i mean i was lookin at old pictures and i noticed that back in the early-mid twentieth century:
-monks wore regular priest caps
-bishops held Masses, wearing their black hats
-both never wore the "consola"
-one pic had a Bishop wearing a light blue tonya

Comments

• what is a "consola"???
  • Kolonsoa is the object with the thirteen crosses on the head.
  • I think back then people weren't as picky and let things go... 
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6636.msg88598#msg88598 date=1211842142]
    Kolonsoa is the object with the thirteen crosses on the head.

hmmmm....you mean 12. also with a stitched line in the middle of it

• The light blue Tounya could have just mean dirty, or the picture changed the color.
  • I still see some non-traditional things that priests wear. lol I've seen things with hoods and purples and blues. They are all very beautiful just a bit strange to see in our church=D

These look like  pieces worn by HH Pope Kyrillos.

http://www.saint-mary.net/albums/Great%20Friday%202007/index.htm
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=6636.msg88616#msg88616 date=1211851667]
    I still see some non-traditional things that priests wear. lol I've seen things with hoods and purples and blues. They are all very beautiful just a bit strange to see in our church=D

this is Fr. Bishoy Dimitri. The bornos he is wearing is more of another orthodox tonic not a full coptic one. actually i dono if the church spicifys the color of the bornos that is used on good friday. in my church the priests use their normal festive-colored tonics. actually maybe that's why these tonic in the picture are not coptic-like, cuz there is no such source that says to do so.
  • I like them though lol they are very beautiful and thanks for the word lol I never knew they were called that. I learned a new word today=D

I still see some non-traditional things that priests wear. lol I've seen things with hoods and purples and blues. They are all very beautiful just a bit strange to see in our church=D

Where is Pope Kyrollos in all these pictures???
  • He is saying that what they are wearing resembles what HH would sometimes were, HH Pope Kyrillos has been reposed for 30 or so years
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6636.msg88628#msg88628 date=1211855221]
    He is saying that what they are wearing resembles what HH would sometimes were, HH Pope Kyrillos has been reposed for 30 or so years

if am not mistaken, the femous pope Kerrelos pics we see with the same head covering we see in the picture, was a gift from someone also it was a liturgical tonic. popes and bishops don't like buy their tonics keda but rather they are mostly gifted by ppl.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6636.msg88628#msg88628 date=1211855221]
    He is saying that what they are wearing resembles what HH would sometimes were, HH Pope Kyrillos has been reposed for 30 or so years

i know that pope Kyrollos reposed for a long time.. exactly 37years and 2 month and a couple of weeks actually (March 1971 to may 2008)
  • Ok.. one at a time

1) Monks used to wear the kolonsoa back in the 4th and 5th centuries, after St. Anthony the Great received it from an angel, and it was torn and resewn to remember the enmity between man and Satan. It then disappeared for centuries, due to the raids on monasteries from the Berbers (from Algeria and Libya) and with the dawn of Islam in centuries to follow. This lead to the monasteries becoming very poor, and so as a matter of practicality, monks couldn't afford to make kolonsoas, and stitch them and decorate them etc. This tradition was reinstated by H.H. Pope Shenouda III, and now monks wear it as a matter of course.

2) Some bishops do wear their black caps, but usually cover them with a "tar7a" or veil on top which is white... there is nothing wrong with doing this e.g. H.E. Metropolitan Bishoy does this.

3) See first point

4) Now that is indeed a mystery to me... never heard the like

hope i've helped, and pray for me

joe

• [quote author=minagir link=topic=6636.msg88631#msg88631 date=1211855528]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6636.msg88628#msg88628 date=1211855221]

if am not mistaken, the femous pope Kerrelos pics we see with the same head covering we see in the picture, was a gift from someone also it was a liturgical tonic. popes and bishops don't like buy their tonics keda but rather they are mostly gifted by ppl.

Yes, i think this is true - I asked our Abba one day why is it sometimes the objects of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church are not always Ethiopian in origin; he said it is because some things are gifts. I guess from other sister Churchs.
  • well ya, HG Anba Bisanti does that too, but im talkin bout
    wearing nothing but hte black hat during the mass.

I was also readin about our sister churches, and apparently their are specific rites to the clothign a priest wears wchic include Cuffs around the wrists, a special waist band, and a copule more things that i cant recall

coincedentally in Abouna Tadros Yacoob's "Coptic Dictionary" you find several refrences to these things, that are no longer used?  Does anyone have any info about these articles of liturgical clothing?
  • POPE KYROLLOS WORE THE ESKIM!!!!!!!!! THE ESKIM IS ONLY GIVEN TO ONE AFTER INTENSE, LONG YEARS OF SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.

IT IS NOT JUST A COOL THING PEOPLE WEAR.

Also, monks wearing the eskim are required to do certain things in their daily routine.

1) Pray the Jesus prayer 1000 times a day
    2) Pray the 150 psalms....... etc

There are much more

THE ESKIM IS NOT A COOL HODDIE!
  • I was actually told that the Habit of the Eskeem included the following:

-Never to eat meat
    -Speak a maximum of 7 words daily (outside of prayer)
    -500 Metanias
    -150 Psalms
    -The Gospel of St. John
    -Personal readings and Bible

Can someone validate this?

ReturnOrthodoxy

@ tishori the bornos abouna mark and abouna bishoy these looked more armeniam or russian orthodox because of the hoods in the back. they are still very beautiful