new years

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hey everyone, i just want to know if there are any things we can say for new years?

GB
Tony

Comments

• [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=6062.msg80679#msg80679 date=1199168389]
    Hey everyone, i just want to know if there are any things we can say for new years?

GB
    Tony

nothing is in our rites spicifies anythng for this New Year. you still do normal things of the fourth week of Kiahk.
  • All I would like to tell you one thing I say on New Years, HAPPY NEW YEARS, may everyone have a wonderful 2008 and forget all the bad things in 2007...if there was..God bless you all!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Happy New Year to you as well Coptic Servant, and to all the Tasbeha.org Community, and may God Bless you all in this new year, with peaceful times.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness,
  • hi guys, happy "western" New Year  ::) lets pray that God blesses everyone of us, and help start a clean sheet in our lives. 
  • western new year???
  • All the world has adapted it, I think, but some places have it concurrent with other calenders like us, the Jews, the Chinese etc. It's based on the Gregorian Calender. The Julian calender is 6 days after our Christmas.

Also, I heard that Christmas is now fixed for the 7th of January now, and that it is suppose to be the 8th of January. This link confirms it: http://suscopts.org/. It says that the 27th of Khaik is Christmas Eve, which means that the original Christmas date, the 29th of Khaik (25th of December in the Julian Calendar) is on the 8th of January on the Gregorian (what you called Western) Calendar. Which thus led me to conclude that the date is fixed.

• Dear clay,
    I think you missed one point in your argument; but all what you said was spot on. The only thing you missed is that 7th of January wasn't fixed because of the difference between the two calendars (or in spite of); the reason is that the last Coptic year 1723 was a leap year, and so all the occasions before the 29th of February (when the two calendars even out again) have moved up one day with the exception of the glorified feast of Nativity, as it is a natinoal holiday in Egypt. Hope that clears it up.
    God bless you and pray for us a lot