Pha Nitenh words

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
"Pha Nitenh" is a hymn for Archangel Michael. I noticed when I was listening to that hymn for the first time that it says in one of the verses it was Archangel Michael, who went to Babylon to rescue the three young men. I know that our Coptic hymns is a trustable source of tradition and convention within our church. Would someone please explain to me this, when what I have learnt in the church was that Christ was the fourth angel-like man in the furnace of fire. Is there a contradiction here?
God bless you all and mention me in your prayers

Comments

• Would someone just pay attention to the question I asked?
  • There's a nice contemplation under the following link:

http://www.copticheritage.org/PagEd+index-page_id-781.phtml

Maybe u'll find an answer to your question there!
  • Dear Hos Erof,
    Thanks very much for the link you sent me. However, no, I didn't find the answer to my question. Is there a contradiction between what we were taught in the church that the Lord Jesus Christ was the one who accompanied the three young men in the furnace, and what the hymn says that Archangel Michael went down to save them from the fiery furnace?
    God bless you all and pray for me a lot
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5497.msg73671#msg73671 date=1183386858]
    Dear Hos Erof,
    Thanks very much for the link you sent me. However, no, I didn't find the answer to my question. Is there a contradiction between what we were taught in the church that the Lord Jesus Christ was the one who accompanied the three young men in the furnace, and what the hymn says that Archangel Michael went down to save them from the fiery furnace?

the exact text is:

Daniel 3:25
    (NKJV)
    "Look!" he answered, "I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."

(NIV)
    He said, "Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

(One Septuagint version)
    And the king said, But I see four men loose, and walking in the midst of the fire, and there has no harm happened to them; and the appearance of the fourth is like the Son of God.

now am not sure which way do we consider.

• Dear Mina,
    By that, do you mean the in the second text "son of the gods" means it refers to angels rather than Jesus Christ. Now, there is another question though? How could the king know how Jesus Christ looks like anyway. I don't think anyone would have known until He was incarnated and came down from heaven. As I think even Abraam didn't recognise Him at that time.
    Now, it is getting more and more complicated. I really need an answer: is there a contradiction or not?
  • perhaps it only refers to a heavenly being in general?
  • from wat i understand of the story he says the fourth looks like the son of god. and your right no one at that time could imagine wat the incarnated being would look and so on. But try to understand this, wat they saw was something so awesome, (which is actually one of the best words to describe it) that it must have been godly. It must have been something so glorious and immaculate that it can only be from heaven. and btw if you take a look at wat the name michael means it means who is like God. So it can NOT contradict, people spend their lives try to find mistakes in the bible and are proved wrong by those who spend their lives to safeguard its meaning. try not to think if this contridicts with this or that and just try to understand the meaning because the bible is the word of god, and the pantocrator can never be wrong?
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5497.msg73700#msg73700 date=1183454663]
    Dear Mina,
    By that, do you mean the in the second text "son of the gods" means it refers to angels rather than Jesus Christ. Now, there is another question though? How could the king know how Jesus Christ looks like anyway. I don't think anyone would have known until He was incarnated and came down from heaven. As I think even Abraam didn't recognise Him at that time.
    Now, it is getting more and more complicated. I really need an answer: is there a contradiction or not?

well the way i was taught, it was always an angel who was there.

now what bayonnecopt said is true:
    [quote author=bayonnecopt link=topic=5497.msg73705#msg73705 date=1183465537]
    from wat i understand of the story he says the fourth looks like the son of god. and your right no one at that time could imagine wat the incarnated being would look and so on. But try to understand this, wat they saw was something so awesome, (which is actually one of the best words to describe it) that it must have been godly. It must have been something so glorious and immaculate that it can only be from heaven. and btw if you take a look at wat the name michael means it means who is like God. So it can NOT contradict, people spend their lives try to find mistakes in the bible and are proved wrong by those who spend their lives to safeguard its meaning. try not to think if this contridicts with this or that and just try to understand the meaning because the bible is the word of god, and the pantocrator can never be wrong?

the 2 diffrent translation have 2 diff sources that differ as we all know.
  • Dear all,
    Thanks for the clarification. Well, I didn't mean at first that the Bible was wrong, but it is just because I know for a fact that I learn from the hymns, and the hymns are one of the sources that our church depend on for keeping its tradition. I was confused and that is all. I still am to be honest, but I will take your opinions and advice although I am not entirely relieved.
  • either way, we know it was God himself who saved them.

GB
    Tony