Prostration for Virgin Mary

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
I read through one of the hymns, but don't remember exactly where (in deacons' service book: or a regular Euchologion), that hymn is sung in Virgin Mary's feast and fast, and it has a verse which says "we offer a prostration for you". I heard also, but don't know if that referred to the same hymn that Pope Shenouda wanted to scrap that hymn from being sung at all.
Also those bishops or priests that ask for 50 prostrations plus the 400 on Good Friday for Virgin Mary; is that right?
My question in these two examples: is it right that we offer prostration (metania in Greek) to saints, or only to God. And please explain what hymn (or hymns) I heard these things on
God bless you all and mention me in your prayers

Comments

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5338.msg71063#msg71063 date=1179482919]
    My question in these two examples: is it right that we offer prostration (metania in Greek) to saints, or only to God.

It is perfectly acceptable to make a metania as a way of venerating (proskynisis) a saint or a holy object, such as the Gospels or the Cross. However, prostrations as a form of worship (latria) is due to God alone.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5338.msg71063#msg71063 date=1179482919]
    Dear all,
    I read through one of the hymns, but don't remember exactly where (in deacons' service book: or a regular Euchologion), that hymn is sung in Virgin Mary's feast and fast, and it has a verse which says "we offer a prostration for you". I heard also, but don't know if that referred to the same hymn that Pope Shenouda wanted to scrap that hymn from being sung at all.
    Also those bishops or priests that ask for 50 prostrations plus the 400 on Good Friday for Virgin Mary; is that right?

the 400 metanias or for Christ declaring his crucifiction in all the corners of the world. Nirth South, East and West. not for St. Mary.

My question in these two examples: is it right that we offer prostration (metania in Greek) to saints, or only to God. And please explain what hymn (or hymns) I heard these things on
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers

there are 3 kind of metanias. One for God only, as He is God, one for saints, glorifing them, and one for bishops and somtimes for others as a sign for respect.
    now am not sure which hymn you're talking about
  • Dear orthodox11 and minagir,
    Thank you very much for your clarification. I take it that you both are not in agreement with the 50 prostrations added especially for Virgin Mary after the 400 on Good Friday.
    Dear minagir, I am not really sure what hymn I was referring to, as I don't remember it exactly.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5338.msg71169#msg71169 date=1179667133]
    Dear orthodox11 and minagir,
    Thank you very much for your clarification. I take it that you both are not in agreement with the 50 prostrations added especially for Virgin Mary after the 400 on Good Friday.

oh wait, i just read the 50 now. but who are the bishops? and why would you ask for that if you know that that day is the day of Jesus and no one else.....even His mother St. Mary
  • Dear minagir,
    That is what puzzles me as well. I don't really want to mention any names, but it happens here in the UK, and in Egypt I heard it does as well.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5338.msg71243#msg71243 date=1179832931]
    Dear minagir,
    That is what puzzles me as well. I don't really want to mention any names, but it happens here in the UK, and in Egypt I heard it does as well.

with all do respect to our coptoc bishops.....i don't think anyone of them would get to that point and present that to the synod.
  • Dear minagir,
    I agree with you. That means that they most probably imporvise things which are not ritually correct. Thanks for your reply to me.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5338.msg71258#msg71258 date=1179849402]
    Dear minagir,
    I agree with you. That means that they most probably imporvise things which are not ritually correct. Thanks for your reply to me.

dafinitly not. because our synod doesn't just make up an idea and present it. but motly what happend is that there is clergy who study the rites and than they present what ever change to the synod. and untill now....i know that Godd friday is ONLY for Christ. so there is no way the day reflacts anything on St. Mary or anyone else in general.
  • Dear minagir,
    Thank you very much for the clarification. I know now where the rites stand, and where the whole church stands on that matter. I am very grateful to orthodox11 as well, who told me the difference between the different types of offering prostration.
    Thanks all. God bless you and mention me in your prayers