Don't understand

edited July 2004 in Faith Issues
Hey guys. There's a verse that I really don't understand. I know what it means overall but I just don't get a part of it. Well here it is:

"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My desciple."

Luke 14:26

Well I understand that it's just saying that you have to leave everything for Christ and that everything would go wrong for his sake because you don't want to be like the world and you would hate your life. But why does it say HATE about the people?? ??? Especially parents and stuff. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
God Bless.

Comments

• indeed very harsh..
  • well, it is a very confusing verse, but the way I always understood it was that maybe he used the word hate to give us the sense that we have to leave these ppl and give all our love and life to him, cuz u know when u hate someone u dont really wanna be with them and u dont miss them and stuff, but I dont think he really means to hate them cuz he said "honor ur father and your mother" but yea, I may be wrong :-\
  • quick verse..
    "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. " Matthew 10:37
    .. it's a matter of self-denial just as in the verse you mentioned. All must be forsaken in this world; every link with this world must be broken. The nearer anything was to the heart, the more dangerous, the more it must be abhorred. Not that affections are evil things; but, Christ being rejected by this world, everything that binds us to earth must be sacrificed for Him. Cost what it may, He must be followed; and one must know how to hate one's own life, and even to lose it, rather than to follow Christ without discipline...
  • My understanding is that in the original greek the word used for hate means to put something second...

God bless,

CS
  • maybe..
  • thanks alot :)