Spiritual Guidance Through Icons

[quote author=Believer in God link=board=1;threadid=3130;start=0#msg46708 date=1138747847]
[quote author=JesusisKingofKings link=board=1;threadid=3130;start=0#msg46685 date=1138704288]
What is the urim? how was it used to make a decision if it was?

is like looking steadfastly at coptic icons to receive spiritual illumination (if thats what you do and receive) ?

[/quote]

Does this really work? If you look into an icon of a saint, or even of the Lord, and ask a question and see nodding, yes or no, is it really a sign from God or is it a coincidence or what you want to see or what? If so, if you ask the same question twice and recieve different answers, than what does that mean?

Please pray for me always,
Believer in God

[/quote]

As a matter of fact, what about doing the same thing with the Holy Bible? What if you asked the Lord a question and opened the Holy Bible and read the first thing that you saw. Is it legitimaate to say that what you are reading is the reply to the question? Again, if so and if you ask the same question twice and get two completely different answers, than how do you know which message is from God and which message is not from God? I heard that this works, but I am not entirely sure.

Believer in God

Comments

• of course god answers ur question through the bible..but u don't read the bible just to find an answer to ur questins, and also not all the time its gonna be the first thing u read!

GBU
    sandra
  • Well I do not think I am experienced (if thats the word) at getting answers from God directly anymore if I ever had been.

Maybe there is a book or article by a priest or bishop that might help me and you too (if you want help too)
  • That would be great, Jesuskingofkings, if you could do that. I am definitely interested in this matter!

Believer in God
  •     Coming back to this thread years and years later, I have come up with an answer to the question I originally posted about whether or not to use the method of opening the Holy Bible and using the first thing you read in it as a reply to your question.  I am afraid that somebody reading my thread may have thought that this opening the Holy Bible thing to answer a question was a good idea and may have done it.  PLEASE DON'T!

I asked a priest this same question and he told me that we should not do this.  If I remember correctly, he gave me the following scenario:  Let's say, for example, that a person is contemplating whether or not to take his or her own life.  If this person were to open the Holy Bible to the part about where Judas Iscariot took his own life, this may lead to the conclusion that God may be agreeing to suicide.  (I recognize that the church strictly teaches us that suicide is wrong no matter what--at least that is what I think.  However this idea of opening the Holy Bible and using the readings as an answer to a question can be very dangerous in this light, especially if a person is unaware of church teachings regarding suicide, for example.)

Going to a father of confession for answers to questions is a better solution.  But now the question becomes how do I know what decisions to take for myself and what to wait to ask my father of confession for, especially if a decision requires an immediate answer.  This question is one I think I am still struggling with.