The story of Saint George the Mozahem

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey everybody,
I was reading the story of Saint Paul the Mozahem, and there were a lotta things the confused me so i'm hoping anybody could help me out a little bit.

well lemme post the story first and then i'll ask the questions.

[hr]
[center]Saint George the Mozahem[/center]
In Berket Talka in 940 ad. A Bedouin man called " El-Atway" married from a Christian lady called " Mariam", they had six children and one of them called " Mozahem"

Mariam, " Mozahem's mother " had a complete freedom to go to the church and be a real Christian, and " Mozahem" used to go with her to the church and liked it very much.

Mozahem longed to receive the Holy sacraments, but his mother told him that he can't do that unless he is baptized and becomes a Christian

Mozahem grew up and his longing to receive the sacraments grew with him. Once he fasted and waited for his mother until she returned from church and took from her the Eulogia. He ate it and its taste in his mouth was like the taste of honey, so he said if this is the taste of the Eulogia, how is the sacraments!!!

Mozahem tried to get baptized, but Satan caused a women who was possessed by an impure spirit to shout saying that he isn't a Christian. The priest was afraid and got him out.

Mozahem tried to baptized, but the devil let a women who had impure spirit shout saying that he isn't a Christian. The priest was afraid and drove him out.

Mozahem was sad and prayed and during his praying an angel appeared to him. He asked him to go to Bishop Zakharyas who will baptize him.

Mozahem didn't heed the angel's words. He went to the church and tried to baptize himself by immersing himself 3 times.

Mozahem married a Christian lady called Seyola. He told her his story, she told him that his baptism isn't perfect. After suffering a lot of persecutions, Mozahem and his wife went to city near Samanoud and there he was baptized by a priest called Fr. Abamon who called him by a Christian name George, because it was the Roman St. George's feast.

Mozahem and his wife lived together as a brother and a sister (not having any marital relationship). They went to Damiana village and stayed there for 3 years. The saint's holiness began to illuminate. He then thought of becoming a monk, but he heard a voice in a dream refraining him from going to the monastery and encouraging him to seek martyrdom.

After that the governor arrested him and persecuted him a lot, but the saint endured it by the power of Jesus Christ who appeared to him with the Archangel (Michael) and the virgin Mary. Lord Jesus told him that he would be martyred near the church of Archangel Michael.

The governor was very impressed because of the fire didn't have any effect on the martyr, and wanted to free him but the people were excited and wanted to kill the governor.

On Thursday 19th Baouna, the Mozahem St. George was martyred by throwing stones on him. One stone hit his head splitting it in two.

The saint's relics reached his wife. Some people tried to burn it but God didn't allow it to happen

After that his wife took the relics, and lighted a lamp in front of it. His relics are now at (Basta El- Nasara) church - Domyat - Egypt.
[hr]

so now i'm wondering first...what is Eulogia? and second, when he tried to get baptized, the posessed woman yelled "he's not Christian." well duh!!! thats the reason he's getting baptized. why would the priest get scared and not baptize him?

i no this is a reallly long post, so its gonna take a few days for somebody to post a reply, but its all good. lol. Pray for me

Comments

• Hi paul

Thank you for your story of St. George the Mozahem . I have some answers and other questions for you and all

1-Eulogia , I don’t know what they call it in English but we call it in Arabic “LOKMAT AL-BARAKA” it is part of the holy Korban which Abouna give to the congregation after the Liturgy. What is it in English?

2-May the priest was afraid from Moslems anger if he baptized the Moslem man. Some times Christian speakers in Egypt don’t say “Moslem” when they speak about them but say “ non-Christian”.

3-I wonder how the mother of St. George was able to partake from the holy mysteries with being married to non-Christian man.
    Now, if orthodox women who marry non-orthodox are not able to participate in our sacraments
  • I think in English it is simply "Blessed bread" not Conecrated, but blessed for distribution.
    Maybe the Saint didn't want to be baptised for the right reason at the time, but for his wants (tasty bread)?
    Maybe she became Christian after the marriage? or reverted after the marriage?
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father + and the Son + and the Holy Spirit +. Amen.[/glow]

In the Eastern Orthodox Church we call the Blessed Bread " Anti-doron" which comes from the Greek words "anti" (in place of) and "thoron" (gifts). Thus the blessed bread is called "instead of the gifts", in this case the Precious Gifts (The Most Holy Eucharist).

[glow=red,2,300]Glory to the Father + and to the Son + and to the Holy Spirit +, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen! [/glow]