Music

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey you I guys I know this topic was started before but... ok. I listen to arabic music. I won't say I just listen to the beat and I don't remember the words, but is it wrong? I just listen to the really like, respectful ones; and even then I'm careful. I want to hear what you guys have to say one this one, especially since I've been pondering it for a very long time.

Comments

• Well...basically...I can think of little reasons to listen to such stuff, but I can think of a lot of reasons NOT to!

You know what? Our father and mother saints did NOT listen to such stuff when they were sung by magless el moztahz2een or at any time...even our present day saints don't, because they love their Lord so much so that they don't want their mind to be bothered by things that might in the end dry them up spiritually and go away from God without us even realizing (how exactly is dependent on a million things...the devil is very cunning if we are asleep and unaware)!

Songs enter into such a category...their words do not realize Christian life, but actually vice versa...without you even knowing, you'll be dragged away from your war...I mean, instead of filling ur mind with stuff that might potenially take u away from the Lord (and will if u leave it long enough), why don't u fill it with beautiful music of our church....u have enough to last u 100 times over! Besides...the words of such music is so simple and wonderful you'll not really want to listen to anythign else anymore...

This will not be achieved in a fortnight...but this is a way to achieve the goal...to love God more

Pray for me....

RFZ
  • trouble is: a lot of the same people who have told me not to listen to....(gasp!) secular music, themselves would watch Hollywood movies....so I give that a big "Physician heal thyself!"
  • Who gave you the right to say such a thing...well...to tell you the truth, for every one who is two-faced...u'll find a lot who aren't....A LOT. It's not secular and non-secular music or movies or whatever...it's just that...well...if something takes you away from the Lord and His church....then why take it or live with it in the first place?

RFZ
  • guys use r both adults an both entitled 2 speak ur opinion so dont let this get out of hand :-\
  • ya you guys i didn't mean to start get ppl mad at each other when I started this... I just wanna hear what you ppl have to say, thats all.... Thanks
  • ohh...I wasn't mad at anyone...I was just being sarcastic. I'm just trying to make the point that if you tell yourself to stop listening to secular music, then where do you draw the line? Why not stop watching secular movies? Why not stop watching secular TV shows? Why not stop reading secular books (so stop going to school for that matter)? Why not stop watching the news (which, in my opinion, is by far the worst of all these)? You'd have to escape from life!!

Now I'm not saying go out and buy a 50Cent, Marilyn Manson, or a Deicide CD....not at all. I'm just saying that you can't make blanket, sweeping statements about secular music like that. I mean...what's wrong with a little Amr Diab or Bollywood or techno now and then?
  • People I need more than just a couple replies (not that they weren't good, I just want a lot).... come on I need help here!!!!
  • BY the way people....I am not mad at ALL come on...:D:D

u_stole_my_name...please try to understand me...these are NOT sweeping statements...besides...u're right in all what u're saying, if you can actually and truly live these examples, except school....because of course, educaton serves to actually make you better in all aspects, including your relationship with God (but that's another topic)...

No...u don't escape life when you draw the line according to what was said before....true...the pace, or more likely the charactaristics, of your life will be different than "normal" people, because their won't be Amr Diab or Bollywood here and there....there'll be tasbeha and al7an and sermons where you learn to love God more...of course...that doesn't mean there's no fun in your life...there are tons...BUT...it's not that u're escaping...u're just filtering and taking things that suit you as a Christian...

Remember...do NOT make anything control u....the here and there u're talking about will inevitably control you (that's human nature).

To wrap up...it is very possible to draw the line on anything that doesn't bring you closer to the Lord (remember the monks my friend). A true Christian (on the personal level, not the propagandish "true") is one who does not let anything control him/her...ANYTHING...

"Christ4life"...look...the church's opinion, which it lived by for less than 2000 years, is as follows: Do not put excuses for yourself...anything that takes you away from the Lord is useless, and actually it's better if it's not there in your life...try out the things that actually bring you closer to the Lord, such as tasbeha or learning al7an and becoming an Ibsaltos, with the guidance of your father confessor and ur intense prayers that God show you the "beautifullness" of this path...little by little...slowly but surely, u'll understand what is said here....

Pray for me...

RFZ
  • thank you rf_zachary, that was... how do I explain this... very persuasive... ok now I have another question... my brothers wedding is coming up and they are obviously going to play music... is that fine... I just wanna know....... Thank you soooooooo much you guys
  • hey: what about like Jazz or techno? They don't have words, so is it okay?

Also, remember: as innocent as guys like Bach, Vivaldi, and Palestrina seem to us nowadays, they were considered SATANIC back in their own day! The music of Palestrina was considered by some Catholic canons to be noises of demons, and Bach himself was a guest in the court of Frederick the Great, the same court that held the likes of the anti-Christian Voltaire!

So is it possible that the music we demonize today could be considered child's play tomorrow? :-\
  • [quote author=u_stole_my_name link=board=11;threadid=1958;start=0#msg29794 date=1120076463]
    hey: what about like Jazz or techno? They don't have words, so is it okay?

Also, remember: as innocent as guys like Bach, Vivaldi, and Palestrina seem to us nowadays, they were considered SATANIC back in their own day! The music of Palestrina was considered by some Catholic canons to be noises of demons, and Bach himself was a guest in the court of Frederick the Great, the same court that held the likes of the anti-Christian Voltaire!

So is it possible that the music we demonize today could be considered child's play tomorrow? :-\

i guess that would depend on what kind of music is played tommorow....
  • u_stole_my_name...very nive question...well...Christianity doesn't change...and please please don't bring in the example of Catholics in the Middle Ages...tell me why they fought Muslims in the name of Christ although NOBODY in the name of Christ did that before...and a lot of other things...

Let me tell you something interesting...some of the church's al7an are actually taken (the tune ONLY) from Pharonic chants...some people might think of them as demonic...but no..the church baptized these chants by its words, so as to speak!

The church, in any era, will NOT change its stance...whatever takes us away from the Lord...then we don't need it...simple as that...

"Christ4Life"...look...NO EXCUSES....if u know what I mean...look...there are many examples of ho0w to come up with a Christian reception...I've seen it with my own eyes, alright? That's a big topic...ask, and u'll find out how.

RFZ
  • i wasnt trying to come up with excuses, really. i've tried not listening to music and praying and its really working out... my brother isn't exactly the ''churchy'' person and neither is his fiancee. If it was my wedding you could say that, but its not.
  • Look, everybody: we still have free will. Even if I listen to 50Cent, Eminem, or Insane Clown Posse, I still can choose not to let it affect me. It's not like some brat from Farmington Hills, Michigan is holding a gun to my head, forcing me to shoot the police (neither is some Rasta from Trenchtown either, for that matter). If you do such-and-such a bad thing because of some music you listened to, it's your own fault. The music didn't make you do it. Same with TV.

The question is: what do you feel, when you listen to a certain form of music? Does it make you angry? Then it's probably not healthy. Does it make you depressed? Then it's probably not healthy.

I listen to techno, jazz, arabic pop, and reggae (at least now....I actually enjoy all forms of music), and I don't feel any worse or more morally "bent" than I would have if I did not listen to those forms of music. (Trust me: I know: I've experienced not listening to that music b4)
  • "Christ4Life"...small addition...it's not "churchy" person, but not a deep person in Christ...may God be with you and ur brother...

"U_Stole_my_name" (can u please tell me ur real name man? :) ) look....we have this saying in Arabic that goes "Kan gheerak ashtar" meaning "People before you were much smarter"

Man....NOBODY can do what you just wrote now...it's not u're weak or not...it's just human nature...look...why don't we put our hands in the fire and say "I choose not to make it hurt me" but it hurts you all the same...it's the same concept, although its effects are REALLY small...look man, u either fill ur brain with things that bring u closer to God...or otherwise...there is no third option...even if u choose first not to make it have an effect on you...slowly but surely u'll find ur brain (especially the subconcious part, but then after that even the consious) filled with that trash...always try to keep ur senses focused on Christ and His church as much as humanely possible...or else it'll be YOUR fault that u've done any bad thing (as you said) but that's because ur base and ur life with God isn't that stable...so any small problem or war form Satan makes u tumble....

Pray for me...

RFZ