Converting to Coptic Orthodox

I was introduced to the Coptic Orthodox faith by someone I am dating. I am originally Catholic, but I would like to know about the converting process. Possibly from those who have gone through this. Thank you

Comments

• I have not gone through this, but I will give you the standard response:
    Firstly, you should convert out of personal conviction, not just for the purpose of marriage.
    Basically, you need to get in touch with a priest who will guide you through the process. There is no standard formula that you have to go through, it is dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
    If and when the priest judges you to be ready, he will chrismate you (anoint you with oil for the reception of the Holy Spirit). This is similar to the rite of 'confirmation' in the Catholic Church. You do not need to be baptised again.
  • Hello :) welcome to our forum!

It's different for each individual and based on the guidance and advice from the priest of that parish. Generally most people attend liturgies regularly for 6 months (without taking communion) and meet with the priest to follow any instructed spiritual law (ie reading from the agpeya, which is our book of hours that contains psalms, gospel, and a few short prayers... spiritual orthodox books, the Bible..etc). You want to make sure you set up a meeting with the priest (you will hear people refer to him as "abouna" which means "father") and discuss the differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, so you know exactly what to expect.

Ask him lots of questions! Especially about the baptism process and what life is like as an orthodox Christian.

The culture in our church has a strong Egyptian influence, so I also suggest finding other converts in your parish, or if there aren't any -- youth, who can answer some of your questions that perhaps an Egyptian might not be able to. For some of the more difficult questions you may have (about theology) we have some really awesome and educated posters who (I think) have the answers to everything ;) (I won't mention names because I don't want to embarrass anyone, but if you stick around with us, you'll know who I'm talking about lol)

Anyway, in short: talk with the priest at your nearest parish. He will be able to give you a "personalized" answer to meet your capabilities :)

Let us know how it goes! :)
  • @TITL

Catholics are not received by baptism, but by chrismation only.
  • Qawe, 

Why, exactly, do they receive baptism?

Ray
  • Qawe, 

Why, exactly, do they receive baptism?

Ray
    We don't (re)baptise Catholics anymore. I'm sure you know that. So I'm not sure what your question means.

• qawe said:

@TITL

Catholics are not received by baptism, but by chrismation only.

I didn't know that! Thanks :)

• Oh sorry I misread that. I thought you said we rebaptise. Apologies

Ray
  • yes, that was since December that we don't baptise catholics.
    anyway to the original poster:
    what do you believe about God?
    in what way do you think you would benefit personally from coming to the orthodox church?

(the answers to these can be kept private - you need to answer this for yourself though).
    may God guide you and bless you