Qubt (Coptos)

Comments

• I think he's a novice, training to be a monk.
  • edited October 2014
  • The thing is even "lay monks" are called Abouna, as far as I have seen. For him to be called "Brother" sounds like a novice. I could be wrong though. St. Macarius monastery and the desert of Wadi Rayan I think do not follow conventional rules of monasticism every other monastery goes through as far as I know. Someone else can probably go through the details, but this is the impression I get
  • edited October 2014
  • Ousia,
    The monastic rule differs depending on
    1. The current abbot. Sometimes this makes a difference, not always though
    2. The founder of the monastery. 
    -Depending on the saint to which the monastery is dedicated to, the monastery would be following their regulations primarily. Strictly Pachomian style monasteries constitute a community that is broken into sketes where 3 monks dwell together, each monastery has 24 sketes. All monks meet daily for praying the divine office and liturgy and hearing spiritual words from one of the elders or the abbot. Meals would be had as a community, in silence to only the sound of one monk reading from the Gospel.

This would be one style. Macarian style is even more communal. Antonian style is more secluded and individualized. Some monasteries are a mix of two styles. The holy saint of the monastery has a huge affect on its system
    3. Traditions that began in that monastery specifically. 
    The novice system is specific to each monastery. The most common system would be to attend services, work and live at the monastery in humble worldly clothes for about 1 to 3 years, then put on the white galabeya (robe) for about 3 years then if the abbot deems you fit, and you are spiritually ready, they put the skull cap (kolonsowa) and black robe, and you  are consecrated a monk. Some monasteries have a light blue robe before the white, some even have a brown robe before the blue. These customs just develop over time. I hope I helped. 
    Pray for me
  • Thank you St. Pachom.

One of the things that I remember about Wadi Rayan is that at some point HH Pope Shenouda wanted the monks there to go to St. Macarius (he was worried about them).  He wanted them to be associated with that monastery.  The monks refused.  They can be associated by visiting, but they are their own in a way.  They don't even, I think, have the conventional "last name" of a monk as the Macarian monks (e.g. "Abouna so-and-so al Maqari).  Both the Wadi Rayan and the Macarian monks do not wear the skull caps with the 12 crosses like other monasteries do (as far I'm aware, but I don't know if the situation changed lately ever since they got an episcopal abbot).

But yes, every monastery has different rules, that much I know.  The details, I'm not all too familiar with as St. Pachom outlined.
  • edited October 2014

• edited October 2014

• edited October 2014

• edited September 2014
    That video could very well possibly be a "monk" of the Wadi Rayan group, and not the Abu Maqar one that was lead by Fr. Matta al Maskeen (now by His Grace Bishop Epiphanius), now that I was watching the video again.  Not sure about the Church.  It seems "different", externally and internally than Abu Maqar (Abu Maqar is not named after one St. Macarius, but 3 saints with the name:  the Great, the Alexandrian, and the bishop of Edku).  The roof, if my sight is not failing me, looks like the top of a cave.

I too wonder what the current situation is.
  • edited October 2014

• Forgive me for my lack of a source, but I read recently in one of the younger Sunday school's lesson packets on St. Shenouti, that "novices in Shenoudian monasteries stayed together in houses outside the monastery walls, unlike Pachomian style." I'm not sure, but it seemed legitimate. The packet was accurate on other accounts and very professional actually.