Deaconesses in the Oriental Orthodox Tradition

edited July 2014 in Coptic Orthodox Church
In some of the other threads we've touched on Women Singers/Chanters/Cantors and mixed choirs (which would be wonderful). From what I have heard the Greek Archdiocese and I think the OCA also have women blessed as readers. Now our Coptic Orthodox Tradition seems to also have deaconesses http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2000/479/spec1.htm but it's interesting to see that some of our sister Churches also have deaconesses (at least in the Armenian Tradition) serving a liturgical function:

In the Armenian Orthodox Tradition

In the Syrian Orthodox Tradition they seem to call their singers "deacons" too but what is interesting is that women are blessed as singers in the liturgical Choir:

From the article by HH Moran mor Ignatius Zakka-I Iwas (Memory Eternal) there's nice reference to St Severus when he writes about the ancient practice:

St. Severios the Great (+538) states that in the sixth century the ordination of abbesses as deaconesses was in practice in the Orient (under the jurisdiction of the Antiochean See). In the event of the unavailability of a priest or a deacon, each one of those consecrated was entitled to distribute Holy Communion to the sisters who were under their authority. 

I wonder if there's any studies done on the topic?

Comments

• From what I know, St Ephraim the Syrian composed a lot of the Syriac hymns and one of the first things he did was teach them to the women, so that chanting would be their job in the church.
  • That's beautiful.