Hidden Treasure

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,

As you all know that our Coptic Church is rich with the teachings of the early church fathers. It would be nice to quote some of those early fathers during our Sunday school Lessons. I am trying to do this but I would like to ask how. How can I look for early church fathers' quotes on certain topics? I am having a hard time doing it with a google search.

In Him,
Ebnyasoo3

Comments

• You can try getting some of the books of the series by the St. Paul Brotherhood called "Treasure of the Church Fathers." Here is a link.

http://www.stpaulbrotherhood.org/index.php?option=com_rokquickcart&view=rokquickcart&Itemid=796

God bless you service
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=14521.msg165315#msg165315 date=1372740169]
    Hello,

As you all know that our Coptic Church is rich with the teachings of the early church fathers. It would be nice to quote some of those early fathers during our Sunday school Lessons. I am trying to do this but I would like to ask how. How can I look for early church fathers' quotes on certain topics? I am having a hard time doing it with a google search.

In Him,
    Ebnyasoo3

Ebnyasoo3,
    You are asking about a very important and generally very deficient area of knowledge and interest among American Copts. There is no easy and credible Orthodox source for study of the early church fathers in English. The best resource that I have found to be easily available is ccel.org. They have the Nicene and Ante-Nicene volumes of the commentaries of the Fathers available on line. These volumes were translated in England in late 19th and early 20th century, so much of the text has a King James accent. It is slow reading at the start, but becomes easier with work. If you have an interest in our Holy Fathers and desire to study their teaching, this is a very rich, accessible resource. It will probably take some work to obtain familiarity, but it is a valuable life long treasure chest. I like the Fathers' commentaries on Scripture to help my understanding of theology in the Scriptural context. I hope this helps your interest. Beware that very little detailed patristic materials is produced by Orthodox scholars, most, including ccel.org materials are produced by Protestant or Catholic financing, so all have the slant of their sponsors. Beware, don't let your spiritual guard down. Pray for me
  • Here is a link to a lot of resources that are unavailable elsewhere:

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/index.htm

Hopefully most of the links are active.  Someone passed it along on these forums in another thread, so I thought I'd do the same.
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=14521.msg165315#msg165315 date=1372740169]
    Hello,

In Him,
    Ebnyasoo3

Greetings:

I have found much information about the early fathers and other orthodox Christian subjects via this link:
    http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/getLectionary.php

Also St. Pachomious library is a good resource for such information.