I need help picking and instrument

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hello All,

I want to learn an instrument to play coptic hymns on, but Im kind of stuck. I started off with a recorder, and I can play any hymn that I know by ear, and well. I am looking to upgrade to something more professional, and something with quarter tones would be nice so the true emotion of the hymn can be portrayed. I don't want to play a stringed instrument only because I have had no luck with them in the past, and I also don't want the piano because I can also play that. Whats the best instrument for me that can really display the emotion of the coptic hymns and isn't out of reach to buy here in the U.S.

Thanks!

Mina

Comments

• Hi,

I'm not an expert at all in this field, so please verify what I'm about to impart to you.

If you're looking for an instrument with quarter tones, strings are probably your best bet. Although its possible in woodwind - its unorthodox (and often impossible), to play quarter tones. Quarter tones are possible on brass instruments, but I personally can't see Coptic songs/hymns being played on a trumpet - the timbre just isn't right. Percussion - well we obviously use triangle and cymbals in church, but they accompany vocals, so unless you're playing in a group, this is also a no-no. Piano and its variations again do not play quarter tones, but do have a lot of available manuscripted hymns/songs, but as you've specifically said you don't really want to... I know you said you didn't want to play strings, but give them another shot if you're dead set on quarter tones. If you've previously tried fretless instruments, maybe try something like a guitar. Or if you started with a fretted instrument, give a violin a try. I'd recommend guitar or something fretted because you can 'bend' the notes to get quarter tones, but its still alot easier to play than a fretless instrument (this is mainly personal experience - having played both). If you're really serious about playing a 'passionate' quarter tone instrument, try violin, but be warned. Its insanely difficult to master the basics. Maybe it was just me, but in the space of 2 years playing the flute, I had reached my 'grade' in violin which I had been practising for 5 years.

Of course, pick an instrument you like - you don't want to make a chore out of it. Maybe check out some youtube videos of the instruments you're thinking about, or talk to some local musicians.

Don't forget - what I said was based on personal experience. Make sure to do your homework before commiting to something.

Good luck, pray for me
    Abe

EDIT: Something I just remembered - Saxophone, Clarinet and Oboe (and their various sub-types), can play quarter tones - when I was thinking about woodwind, I only thought of flute/piccolo, sorry. Another instrument with a very nice timbre is Oboe; I highly recommend looking up some classical oboe.
  • Thanks Epshiri for quick response!

I wasn't dead set on quarter tones, I just want an instrument that can really capture coptic hymns. I decided on the Egyptian Nay. Listening to recordings online made me realize how beautiful of an instrument it is. You seem to be very knowledgeable in this field. Thanks again for the response  :D

Mina