On Work

edited May 2013 in Faith Issues
What do you think of a Christian who does not do much work but only prays and reads the bible?
I thought that is acceptable but certainly not if one has a family
"Whoever provides not for his own is worse than an unbeliever"
But work is kind of like fasting not everyone can do it. God rebuked Martha for opposing Mary and God said to the Jews "New wine must not be put in old bottles lest they brake" Jesus said when we fast we should put oil on our heads to show that we are only doing it because we like to do it and we think it benefits us. We do not do it for no reason

I just feel I have never had a great work ethic but Noah, Abraham and Job and many of the righteous did. I have a problem that I do not even desire to make money if it will cause me to be deprived of other things
"The desire of the lazy man will kill him"
"he who has a slack hand will become poor"
How do I get this desire.
Is it necessary to work hard to make money so as to give money to the poor and store up riches in heaven? but the widow with two mites was considered as having given much but perhaps she was not a lazy person.

I am not not saying not all people should work but it is better to be inspired that they are doing it for God so our work is not sluggish.

But I referenced the quotes on fasting so I can ask shouldn't work only be done by those who are happy to work so they do not stumble in sin and confusion?

So how to get God to give me the desire (can He do that if I or someone else is mentally ill?)
to work hard for Him in worldly work when I would rather do something else like something spiritual?

perhaps I should store up my riches in heaven by instead working in prayer something I enjoy doing

Comments

• You have to live a balanced life, meaning you can't pray 24/7 or do tasbeha all night long, and then expect to ace your exam. That's not how it works. A lot of us look at sacrificing for God, and he'll reward us right away. You still have to do work.

And you're right, a lot of the righteous men in the Bible had amazing work ethic. Monks also need to work. I remember I was given a chore in a monastery, and I decided to go to the church instead to pray, and the monk came in and yelled at me because I wasn't doing my work.

Even today, there are monks that are medical doctors, engineers, etc.. if you ever go to St. Antony Monastery in Cali, St Moses church was designed by one of the monks, and it's absolutely beatuful. as saintly and spiritual as these people are, they still have great work ethic.

There's a time for prayer, work, fun, or whatever else. just make sure there's BALANCE and discipline.
  • Thanks

However so many passages also talk about we should think on God's law all the time which I should start doing again. "Great peace have those who love your law and nothing causes them to stumble"

I know we should not read the bible when there is a deadline in 1 hour and we read the bible in the whole hour

• They say that sinning is also defined as not doing enough to help others. Everyone has an inherent amount of laziness where they spend time only thinking about themselves without thinking to help other people. This even applies to mankind's greatest philanthropists (as an extreme example, mother theresa sinned because she did not do enough to help the poor, even though she is a great example to us of someone who helped the poor immensely).
    God doesn't only want you to use your spirituality to get closer to him through self prayer.

"For I was an hungered, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: 36Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me"

The average person cannot do these things without work ethic. To the best of our ability, we must strive to do these things. In order to do these services we must work to earn money (in order to give to the poor), we must work to buy drink (to give to the thirsty), we must work to afford shelter (to take in the stranger), we must work to afford clothes (to cloth the naked) etc.

Even if you win the lottery, your work ethic must be used to its potential in order to implement these services.
  • Thanks for your encouragement