Voleen Eporeonion

Can someone please explain this hymn to me??
i.e. Validity, where it can be found etc..

Thank You
God Bless

Comments

• Hi Faithful,

Here is the Greek text of this hymn:

Βουλὴν προαιώνιον, ἀποκαλύπτων σοι Κόρη, Γαβριὴλ ἐφέστηκε, σὲ κατασπαζόμενος, καὶ φθεγγόμενος· Χαῖρε γῆ ἄσπορε, χαῖρε βάτε ἄφλεκτε, χαῖρε βάθος δυσθεώρητον, χαῖρε ἡ γέφυρα, πρὸς τοὺς οὐρανοὺς ἡ μετάγουσα, καὶ κλῖμαξ ἡ μετάρσιος, ἣν ὁ lακὼβ ἐθεάσατο· χαῖρε θεία στάμνε τοῦ Μάννα, χαῖρε λύσις τῆς ἀρᾶς, χαῖρε Ἀδάμ ἡ ἀνάκλησις, μετὰ σοῦ ὁ Κύριος.

And here is the translation from the Festal Menaion by Met. Kallistos Ware.

Revealing to thee the pre-eternal counsel, Gabriel came and stood before thee, O maid; and greeting thee he said. Hail, thou earth that has not been sown, hail thou burning bush that remains unconsumed, hail thou unsearchable depth, hail thou bridge that leads to heaven, and ladder raised on high that Jacob saw. Hail thou divine jar of manna, hail thou deliverance from the curse, hail thou restoration of Adam, the Lord is with thee.

In the Eastern Orthodox tradition, it is said as the first of many other verses in Vespers of the feast of Annunciation after the singing of Ps. 140 "Lord I have cried". These verses collectively are called the stichera prosomia.

It is also found in our service books, mainly in the Deacon Service Book by Nahdet Al Kana'is in the section for Greek hymns and also marked for the Annunciation. As far as recordings, the only one that was recently brought to my attention is by Cantor Zaher I believe, which seems to be just a slowed down version of the Byzantine original.

What do you mean by validity?
  • Hey RamezM,

Thank You so much and God bless you. What I meant by validity was whether it is chanted in the Coptic Church or not and who chants it, (Ayad, Farag, Faheem)? Which you have answered.

Thanks again and God Bless You
  • It is also found on this site here by Wagdi Bishara.

As far as I know HCOC has not recorded but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in a new CD production.

I have not been able to find any recordings from Muallemeen Mikhail, Tawfik, Faheem, Ibrahim Ayad, or Farag.
  • And for those who prefer a more aesthetically pleasing Byzantine version, here is the one done by the choir of Lycourgos Angelopoulos: