How to be humble in this conceited society?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Dear Christians,

God has commanded us Chritians to be humble. Especially in areas of work where arrogance is considered to be confidence, talking about how great you are is the reflection of your high self-esteem, how can we as christians be able to be humble in God's eyes? or is this something we need to sacrifice for God's love?

I really need to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Comments

•         It is to be kind to others. Since we endure temptation, we are given patience. We become more resilient the effect of others sins. We can do good to those who sin without becoming involved in their sin.
      The only thing you can be firm on is respect. All should be respected.

Self-esteem is full of lies. It is the way someone thinks of themself or want to be seen as. Either way, it comes from the self and it not transperant. As opposed to self-respect. When we are cleaned or clean ourselfs by obeying God's word, we become genuine. There is inspection into our soul.
        So see where we stand in regards to the respect we have for ourselfs, and whether we are losing it because of those who are with us, or that our self-respect is enough to say we are any different than them.

We cannot judge them but judge ourselfs to see where we stand.

I will find the verse later.

• Thank you Joshua. You covered a lot broader things though and you made it abstract. May be my question is not clear enough.
  • I know I am little off topic

I feel a desire for fame and respect. You see the monks were considered blessed because they had it well for themselves they were rich pharmacists even better probably multi millionaires but they left it all to be monks. They knew they could become great with fame and respect but they left it all. Because who cares if you achieve success if it means nothing to you or is not good for you and has no value. Also Perhaps only those who leave things for Christs sake alone ought to be monks. Those who leave things for the kingdom of Heavens sake. If that means few will be monks well that was God's will. You see you are not leaving things for Christs sake if you are becoming a monk because you don't think you can be rich. It would be foolish to leave it all if that would hurt other people but they left it all because they knew God would bless them a hundred fold on this earth and in the world to come.  Anyway I might take back what I am saying because it seems foolish.. I haven't quite expressed what I want to say

I for one wanted to prove that I can also work hard to make money. But that is being a bit or much greedy if you will not work hard to get that money but will make others work for you if many others are not doing the same.
    What are we doing to those in need? this is the riches we must store in heaven lest our riches eat our flesh like fire

I believe people in this century should be educated. That seems to come at the cost of being rich. Not everyone will respect me but I will meet people who make it worth it. And the feeling inside that I am growing as a person and can benefit society makes it worth it. I worry about my children who will suffer the consequences of my actions not having any money but I do not think christians should have worries about necessities beyond reasonable limits. As St James says come now you who say today or tommorow we will buy and sell and make a profit when you do not know what will happen tommorow? One's life does not consist in the abundance of things one owns.

so how does someone become humble doing the right thing even if people are not praising them? you see I am seeking praise from others such as yourself? and also not falling into sin out of lack of faith and content?

Jesus made our attention pass to riches in heaven. If the LORD wills we shall be rich otherwise we must all work hard as Adam was punished with toiling all the days of his life

seeking riches is not bad as long as our heart is with the LORD
  • [quote author=binC link=topic=14219.msg163040#msg163040 date=1359444815]
    Thank you Joshua. You covered a lot broader things though and you made it abstract. May be my question is not clear enough.

Sorry if I sound abstract. It's because satan has used time against me in which I cannot be my normal self.

When I read something, I see a war going on and what I saw in your opening post was how does someone be humble? To me, being kind was the way to fight satan. Also, you were mentioning work, so I was trying to be specific in that area. Answer, don't go for self-esteem but go for self-respect.

Found the verse.
                                  1 Corinthians 13:4    Love suffers long and is kind.

In some bibles it is;  Love is patient and kind.

So in our battle against sin, my message I hope makes some sense now.

Sum up.  Facing our trails. To be humble is being patient and kind.

Another thing. When we prostate ourselfs before the Lord. We are being humble but also we are kissing the dust. Hope you remember that next time you do your prostration if you don't already. You probably do.

• [quote author=mikeforjesus link=topic=14219.msg163044#msg163044 date=1359460101]
    I know I am little off topic

I feel a desire for fame and respect. You see the monks were considered blessed because they had it well for themselves they were rich pharmacists even better probably multi millionaires but they left it all to be monks. They knew they could become great with fame and respect but they left it all. Because who cares if you achieve success if it means nothing to you or is not good for you and has no value. Also Perhaps only those who leave things for Christs sake alone ought to be monks. Those who leave things for the kingdom of Heavens sake. If that means few will be monks well that was God's will. You see you are not leaving things for Christs sake if you are becoming a monk because you don't think you can be rich. It would be foolish to leave it all if that would hurt other people but they left it all because they knew God would bless them a hundred fold on this earth and in the world to come.  Anyway I might take back what I am saying because it seems foolish.. I haven't quite expressed what I want to say

I for one wanted to prove that I can also work hard to make money. But that is being a bit or much greedy if you will not work hard to get that money but will make others work for you if many others are not doing the same.
    What are we doing to those in need? this is the riches we must store in heaven lest our riches eat our flesh like fire

I believe people in this century should be educated. That seems to come at the cost of being rich. Not everyone will respect me but I will meet people who make it worth it. And the feeling inside that I am growing as a person and can benefit society makes it worth it. I worry about my children who will suffer the consequences of my actions not having any money but I do not think christians should have worries about necessities beyond reasonable limits. As St James says come now you who say today or tommorow we will buy and sell and make a profit when you do not know what will happen tommorow? One's life does not consist in the abundance of things one owns.

so how does someone become humble doing the right thing even if people are not praising them? you see I am seeking praise from others such as yourself? and also not falling into sin out of lack of faith and content?

Jesus made our attention pass to riches in heaven. If the LORD wills we shall be rich otherwise we must all work hard as Adam was punished with toiling all the days of his life

seeking riches is not bad as long as our heart is with the LORD

I think being humble is the way we do things not what we are doing.

I think there are alot of contradictions, but they are there for a reason.

Like, right contradicts wrong; and even different levels where, on the one hand we are asked to do something then on the other not to do it. I think it is because faith is a higher level than righteousness.
      We could do something in righteousness but not do it because we have faith.
  •   I'm sorry once again binC because after reading my post, I am again sounding abstract.

How are we to be humble before God eyes?    Firstly, not to exalt ourselves in His eyes.

Mattew23:12  "And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be   
                              exalted.

Secondly, Be kind to others.

1 Corinthians 13:4    Love suffers long and is kind.

We talk about love suffering here. How does love suffer? It suffers when we feel it has been corrupted.

It would not be wise to join in the corruption, otherwise a part of our love would be lost, in the sense
        of direction, but not lost forever.

To keep our integrity, and to hold our values. That we love God. Therefore, we will not exalt or
        esteem ourselves, but try to be kind to those who may corrupt us.

God bless you binC.

• Thank you very much Joshua and mikeforJesus

I really learnt a lot from your posts. Anything with God's words is a great food for the soul.(within the dogma of our Church).

May be my question itself is abstract. Let me put my question in a scenario.

There are two people in the office with almost the same work experience and qualifications, with the only difference of one being very expressive and brags about himself in any opportunities like with peers, bosses and meetings but the other one behaves mostly in a more humble way.

At the end of the day everyone considers the first person to be confident and excellent but give the other one a lesser value or oppinion which adversly impact the promotion and salary raise.

This is just an example...you can add other similar things.

Now, please read my first question again inline with this analogy and think of real examples in your life or others.

What is your thought on such things?
  • It is a constant struggle binC. Resistance to temptation is a constant struggle. It is sinful to be arrogant and full of pride; yet so many of us fall prey to it.
    The original sin was committed when the Devil tempted Eve to forget her humility to God and go against Gods command. I guess this rouse worked so well for the Devil; that he continues to use this ploy over an over again. And we continue to fall for it over and over again.
    This is the cross that we bare - To remain Christ-like in a very unChrist-like society. We conquer through constant prayer, going to Church, Bible Study, keeping in close contact with our Father of Confession. Pray for Gods forgiveness and mercy.
    We fall, we get up, we fall, we get up. We endure to the end then we can receive perfection. Now we are imperfect and apt to go astray like little sheep, but our Great Shepherd is only a prayer away.

God Bless
  • we should feel sorry for the arrogant person, as his treasure in heaven is very, very small.
    we spend just a few years on earth, compared to eternity, so should measure the things we gain on earth as nothing compared to the spiritual reward of being full of love, faith and hope.
  • Thank you very much Purity and Mabsoota for the replies.