The Divine Liturgy

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi all,
I have to do a some kind of a study for a church project...and I was looking for ENGLISH documented sources,
of rites, and history aswell as contemplations, and explanations. I know it's a lot, but I ask for your help!
I have four books:
- The Shape of the Liturgy; Gregory Dix
- The Early Liturgy; Josef Jungman
- Understanding the Liturgy; Fr. Athanasius Iskander (Kitchiner, Ontario!! :P)
- The Spirituality of the Rites of the Holy Liturgy in the Coptic Orthodox Church; H.G. Bishop Mettaous
Firstly, does anyone know where I can find H.G. Bishop Rofail's explanaitions? I heard a couple on CTV, and I
really like them, even though I don't understand arabic very well.
Is there anything that any of you would recommend?
God bless you, and keep me in your prayers,
Cyril

Comments

• [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=14204.msg162977#msg162977 date=1359082996]
    Hi all,
    I have to do a some kind of a study for a church project...and I was looking for ENGLISH documented sources,
    of rites, and history aswell as contemplations, and explanations. I know it's a lot, but I ask for your help!
    I have four books:
    - The Shape of the Liturgy; Gregory Dix
    - The Early Liturgy; Josef Jungman
    - Understanding the Liturgy; Fr. Athanasius Iskander (Kitchiner, Ontario!! :P)
    - The Spirituality of the Rites of the Holy Liturgy in the Coptic Orthodox Church; H.G. Bishop Mettaous
    Firstly, does anyone know where I can find H.G. Bishop Rofail's explanaitions? I heard a couple on CTV, and I
    really like them, even though I don't understand arabic very well.
    Is there anything that any of you would recommend?
    God bless you, and keep me in your prayers,
    Cyril

Abouna Mikhail's book, Focus on the Coptic Family is priceless, related to your study and available at: http://popekirillos.net/EN/books/Coptfaml.pdf
  • Thanks irishpilgrim very much! I really appreciate it! It seems like an amazing contemplations of the readings,
    but does anybody else ENGLISH documented sources, of rites, and history aswell as contemplations,
    and explanations regarding the Liturgy in terms of hymns/and abouna's actions?
    Thanks, ang GB,
    Cyril
  • Does anyone know where I can find Bishop Rofail's series on the Liturgy?
  • Dear Cyril,

It is great that you are interested in the history of the Liturgy, since most people tend to focus on current practice. Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your specific questions or topic, and then many of us can be more confident recommending the right resources.

Of all the books you and others have mentioned, Dix and Jungmann are the most academic. They talk about the development of the Liturgy in all rites especially in the first few centuries. Jungmann in fact goes further than that into the Middle Ages, which I am guessing you probably don't need. Anyways, I can't say for sure that Dix and Jungmann are what you need, or if there is anything else that might be more helpful. If your end goal is factual, objective, research based information, then it would be ok (though I must caution you that Dix and Jungmann are very old works, and scholars today may disagree completely with them on some conclusions). If your objective is more spiritual, meditative, then the information in Dix and Jungmann would not be what you need necessarily, unless you are willing to extrapolate and reflect on the hard facts to arrive at sound theological reflection from an Orthodox standpoint. Just let us know what you are trying to do specifically, and we can help.

And finally, if you are interested in further study of the history and theology of the liturgy, check out this course I will be teaching soon online:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,14199.0.html
  • Well, I am interested in both! I think I have enough material for contemplation...but I think I need more
    explanations as to our current rite...like why does abouna do this...or that...Also, I am looking into the "evolution", if you will...of our current day Liturgical rite...from the original Church, so you can say academic research.
    I hope this sheds some more light, as to what I am looking for.
    GB, and plz PFM,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=14204.msg162996#msg162996 date=1359218288]
    Does anyone know where I can find Bishop Rofail's series on the Liturgy?

I too would like to know where they are!!!!!

God Bless
  • [quote author=Faithfull Servant 1 link=topic=14204.msg163024#msg163024 date=1359365037]
    [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=14204.msg162996#msg162996 date=1359218288]
    Does anyone know where I can find Bishop Rofail's series on the Liturgy?

I too would like to know where they are!!!!!

God Bless

Come on!!! Someone must know where they are!!

God Bless
  • Well seeing that no one posted anything I did some searching and although I'm shocking at arabic; through God's Grace - here it is!!

Its a series on CTV called "Bread  of life" and Some of it can be found on orthodoxsermons.org

http://arabic.orthodoxsermons.org/sermons/bread-lifepart-01-خبز-الحياة

Thats the link and there is also a lot more in english by many preists.

God Bless