Re: Our Holy Virgin Mother St. Mary and womens role

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues

[quote author=LostEgPrincess link=topic=132.msg498#msg498 date=1080710286]
from what i know it has to do with men being the head of a man (somewhere in one of Paul's letters sorry, i forgot where it is)  and women should higher their voice then men in songs at church and the like (1 Corinthians 14:34).  Also the example of St.Mary is always brought up because she stayed in the temple only until she was 12.  thats all i know. i dont really agree with it but i have accepted it.  hope this helps
[/quote]

This is a very old quote; and probably the writer has attained more knowledge of God's Decalogue since then. But it caught my eye for some reason and I think the reason is this:

Todays Synxir Commemorates our Holy Virgin Mother being presented to the Temple! It states that she was 3 years old at this time and lived in the Temple there after, for 12 years; so She was 15 when she left the Temple not 12.
Then still it goes on to say how she lived with St. Joseph for a while before the Angel St. Gabriel came to them and told the good news of Christs future Birth! So She wasn't a little 'teenager' when she carried the Logos in Her womb, as many stories portray!

As a women I feel we the weaker sex are always being bombarded with false or inaccurate teachings......ever since our first Mother St. Eve was deceived; we are deceived! I pray in this Holy Season we women will learn to understand our role, accept it and not only like it; but love it! That we find knowledge of the Truth and embrace it in our souls as our Holy Virgin Mother St. Mary did; bringing forth the sweetest fruit!!!
[center]Giving All Glory To God!!![/center]

Comments

• [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=14020.msg161934#msg161934 date=1355334149]

[quote author=LostEgPrincess link=topic=132.msg498#msg498 date=1080710286]
    from what i know it has to do with men being the head of a man (somewhere in one of Paul's letters sorry, i forgot where it is)  and women should higher their voice then men in songs at church and the like (1 Corinthians 14:34).  Also the example of St.Mary is always brought up because she stayed in the temple only until she was 12.  thats all i know. i dont really agree with it but i have accepted it.  hope this helps

This is a very old quote; and probably the writer has attained more knowledge of God's Decalogue since then. But it caught my eye for some reason and I think the reason is this:

Todays Synxir Commemorates our Holy Virgin Mother being presented to the Temple! It states that she was 3 years old at this time and lived in the Temple there after, for 12 years; so She was 15 when she left the Temple not 12.
    Then still it goes on to say how she lived with St. Joseph for a while before the Angel St. Gabriel came to them and told the good news of Christs future Birth! So She wasn't a little 'teenager' when she carried the Logos in Her womb, as many stories portray!

As a women I feel we the weaker sex are always being bombarded with false or inaccurate teachings......ever since our first Mother St. Eve was deceived; we are deceived! I pray in this Holy Season we women will learn to understand our role, accept it and not only like it; but love it! That we find knowledge of the Truth and embrace it in our souls as our Holy Virgin Mother St. Mary did; bringing forth the sweetest fruit!!!
    [center]Giving All Glory To God!!![/center]

Purity2,

Thank you so much for joining into these discussions. For reasons that I have not been able to understand, the holy women's insight and understanding of God's, His families' and His Church's holy patriarchal order seems to be completely ignored or avoided throughout current Western theological, philosophical and secular thought and discussion. Especially within ALL of the self-proclaimed, so-called Christian Churches. Does the neglect of this essential Scriptural and Apostolic principle self-condemn them ALL to fundamental apostate hypocrisy? The signs seem to be indicative. Without holy, God ordered families, what can the order in churches become? I'm confident that you can express this challenge far more precisely and persuasively than I have.

The demons of divorce and division could never have dared to cross the threshold of St. Mary's home, nor that of ALL generations of holy orthodox Christian women (of every nation), until the recent 2-3 modern, rebellious generations, who were able to accept and live in accord with their creation as taught and passed down by SS. Abraham, Sarah, Moses, David, Bathsheba, Solomon, Peter, Paul, Chrysostom and (even) Blessed Monica and Augustine. Your Titus 2:3-5 guidance is showing. Keep passing it on.

Of course, modern orthodox men, especially me, are also in dire need of refreshment in the basics. But, since St. Eve, this has never been an excuse that is productive, or acceptable to God. St. Peter expected this effective leadership by the holy wives of wayward husbands. 1Pet.3:1-2. These principles built and preserved the Orthodox Church and cultures for about 1900 years. Why expect Freud's insanity to restore it?

Thanks again, please help our understanding as you are able, and please pray for me. 
  • Thank you for the inspiration irishpilgrim. I do not feel worthy of these discussions; I hope to one day be, but:

We live in a world of distractions and deceptions and I am, at times, astonied and perplexed by the barbarity and ignorance that are a result of them.
    Still, this is all a part of life we accept and learn to deal with as Orthodox  Christians.
    I find it amazing we are still 'babes' as a majority; even after Christ has come and left (In the Flesh) so long ago. We still are drinking milk and are not ready for the 'strong drink'.
    Our Almighty God in His Great Wisdom knew the weakness of His creation and did prepare for it:
    It is said that The holy virgin St. Mary shined as a beautiful pure pearl in St. Adams side. So when we think of it St. Adams curse (the 'curse' being St. Eva, made from his rib) and his cure (the cure, the holy virgin St. Mary, in his side) where 'within' him. It is still the same today. Men as 'sons' of Adam have the curse and the cure within them. The journey of life is finding the 'cure'. Finding our godself.
    I am a woman, but I say "our" godself because man and woman are united as one. Different but equal. Equal in the 'curse'. Equal in the 'cure'. But playing different roles. Finding that the 'curse' was the bitter medicine that aided in the cure!

As an excuse for our inadequacy I blame early heretical teachings that plague our subconscious. I was not raised in a Convent like our Holy Virgin Mother, but  through grace and truth, even I, can still learn to live in a holy manner.
    I love the words "In this great future, we cannot forget our past". With all the modern technological, scientific advances we cannot forget the lessons of the past that got us here. When we cut off the past we cut off the future and become stagnant, stuck.
    I heard someone say that the Miracles of Christ are regular fare now; like to say just an insignificant part of our past now, since the great advancements of medical treatments!!??!! I do not understand how a surgeons scalpel can be compared to Christ's Miracles??! The most 'treatments' Christ did was make mud and rub over a mans eyes! Christ healed. He did not give treatments or scar and maime to only many times just momentarily stop a sickness. It's like comparing 'apples to oranges'. Not that I do not appreciate the medical advancements and such. I do, very much but, we have to understand that the greatest part of our past history is Christ. The greatest part of our future is In Christ.