Afraid of poverty in all its manifestations very afraid

edited November 2012 in Faith Issues
there are people who stress having a well rounded life and there are people who want to see that I have worked hard

I think if I have to choose one as right it would be working hard. I value the spiritual blessing of it more than all the other. However I am not faithful over it.

However I am very very very afraid of the pain I will face moving along this path and it seeming impossible to move this path as if I am not supposed to walk it

I dont think the world likes to help geeks perhaps

Come to think of it I dont see why I would face any trouble from the world if I follow that path so I guess I am going to try very hard

Comments

• please be honest with me is what I feel a lie or the truth.

I feel if I go to bed so I can work the next day I will be grumpy (and maybe emotionally/verbally violent at one point if someone annoys me ) the next day and not be able to study and wish I had spent some time for myself before sleeping is this valid or not?
    will God remove all boredom?
    what about if I make time for myself in the evening (just to eliminate the prejudice for night time) when I could be studying?

as a human being I have a need to demonstrate to others I have accomplished something at all times

sometimes I can not sleep because I am not looking forward to the next day
  • Book of tobit says not to be afraid of poverty

Book of Tobit 4:21 And fear not, my son, that we are made poor: for thou hast much wealth, if thou fear God, and depart from all sin, and do that which is pleasing in his sight.
  • are you trying to work and study at the same time?
    may God guide you.
    do not fear anything in this world, God is in control.
  • Workaholic is Not Good for Health

Why people need to work, isn't it because they needs money for there future? Yes, but if your work consumes you and destroys your personal life, then there could be more that is going on, you could be a certified workaholic. The difference between hard work and work holism is on the fairway thinking about work. But hard workers generally have some balance in their lives. And work holism is an addiction, and obsessive-compulsive disorder, and its not the same as working hard or putting in long hours," In Japan, its called "KAROSHI" meaning death by overwork and it Is estimated to cause 1000 deaths per year, nearly 5 percent of that country's stroke and heart attack deaths in employees under age 60. In the U.S work holism remains what it's always been: the so- called "respectable addiction" that's dangerous as any other.
    Disorders often stem from childhood. Research shows that the seed of work holism are often planted in childhood, resulting in low self-esteem that carries into adulthood. Many workaholics are came from some other type of dysfunctional family, and work addiction is an attempt to controllable, or they tend to be products of what I call looking good families whose parents tend to be perfectionist and expect unreasonable success from their kids. These children grow up thinking that nothing is over good enough. That's why the problem on perfection is unattainable, whether you're a kid or a successful professional.

Their obsession with work is all-occupying, which prevents workaholics from maintaining healthy, relationships, outside interest, or even take measures to protect their health.

Why people need to work, because of needs of money for there future. But to much work is not good, for example there are people who may have children, but miss their varsity games and school plays when they don't have to, not because they have to be at work but because they feel need to. They neglect their health to the point of devastating results and ignore their friends and family. They avoid going on vacation so they don't have to miss work. And even if they do go on vacation, they aren't fully present because their mind is still on work. As with any other work holism, there is often a lack of understanding as to how their work addiction affects themselves and others, tuck reveals.

Often they only realize their problem when something catastrophic happens to them, their health completely fails or their marriage or relationships are destroyed. But many companies often confuse workaholics for hard worker, in essence enabling them on their path to self-destruction. Put in the hours. You are not going to get a head without a very major commitment to your job in terms of pure hours. I have worked all over the world over the past 20 years and have found this to be universally true, whether its by recording valuable hours or setting up an environment where long hours are the expectation, professional service firms use time spent at work an important way to measure an individual's commitment and contributions. Workaholic styles overall, workaholic tend to be less effective than other workers because it's difficult for them. They have trouble delegating or entrusting co-workers, or they take on so much as organized as others. In fact, his research indicates four distinct workaholic "working style".

The bulimic workaholic feels the job must be done perfectly or not at all. Bulimic workaholic often can't get started on projects, and then scramble to complete it by deadline, often frantically working to the point of exhaustion with sloppy results. What can be done?

Counseling is often recommended for workaholic. Its really comes down to recognizing a need for balance in your life. Working hard is great, but you need to be able to turn it off and savor the other parts of your life, friends, family, hobbies, and fun. Put in the hours and squeeze every bit of productivity possible out of every minute of the day. No matter what your job is, do it a little harder and a little longer each and every day. Give yourself time to relax your mind and your personal life.

from
    http://voices.yahoo.com/workaholic-not-good-health-1040371.html
  • Thanks mabsoota. But I know God can control everything but by what method? killing the unjust people? that way He will lose the wheat and those He slays

I know God has His helpers in the world. But how will He guide me to them? it frustrates me

I am not trying to make excuses. I have once got sick from too much work

but hard work never killed anybody

I can tell I am not a workaholic. I can see it is a sickness. I would not miss my child's games if it was important. Most employers would understand then that they need to take time off. When someone is in need that comes first

But in my case I am confused and am subject to bad habits and perhaps lazy (ofcourse I am sometimes or many times but not all the time)
    Anyway I see no reason why I should be distracted. I was just worried I would get sick from hardwork but I dont really have anything to lose if I work hard if you know what I mean. And I can only get sick if I work when it is obvious it is not the time
    Forget other people and their judgements even if it is family
  • You said ..."there are people who stress having a well rounded life and there are people who want to see that I have worked hard."

"There are people"...who are these people? You are a Christian that mean follower of Christ not a "Peoplian"(I made that up) who follow people.

Jesus said everything in the Bible. Christianity is all about denying yourself. That is why the road is said to be Narrow. The good news if God is always with you when you choose Him. Every passion you have is like a fog that will disappear when you are with God. Of course you will lose many things for the sake of God but you have God. God is greater than anything that you can hope for yourself in this world.

You need Faith. Faith in God and Faith in everything that is written in the Bible. Forget people and forget yourself because almost 90% of people are working with the devil. All these people cannot stand for you in the judgement day.

Poverty can kill your flesh but not your soul...so don't be afraid of such things.

Do you remember the Apostles? we have no gold to give you but rise in the name of Jesus and walk. They have given him what he cannot get with a gold.

If you are more precious than a gold and shine like a diamond, would you wish you had a gold? No. We Christians are more than the wealth of this world. Everything you see is an illusion of people and the devil, what you really need is few.

• Thanks binC

I still remember "we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against devils"
  • He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
    Matthew 13:22

For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
    2 Corinthians 8:9

And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
    Luke 18:24

For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
    Luke 18:25

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    1 Timothy 6:10

They spend their days in wealth, and in a moment go down to the grave.
    Job 21:13

But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
    Luke 6:24

For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.
    Psalm 49:10

For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.
    James 1:11

So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
    Luke 12:21

Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
    James 5:1

A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.
    Psalm 37:16

If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
    Luke 16:11

Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.
    Proverbs 11:4

Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.
    Psalm 39:6

There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.
    Proverbs 13:7

For riches are not for ever: and doth the crown endure to every generation?
    Proverbs 27:24

Better is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich.
    Proverbs 28:6

He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.
    Proverbs 28:22

Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
    Proverbs 30:8

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
    1 Timothy 6:9

But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.
    James 1:10

• Truly only those who are faithful over the little are favored to be entrusted with greater
    however God's kindness rises on the good and the evil

God did not say any of His followers would become poor but the LORD should be their portion
    He promised us peace
    Not as the world gives you do I give you

There is a time to gather stones and a time to cast away

So many other verses also talk about getting riches

"The hand of the diligent shall rule"
    "A good man leaves an inheritance for children's children"
    "Wealth and riches are in the house of the righteous"
    "You have not because you desire to spend it on your pleasures" James
    It was abudance which Jesus condemned
    seen the end intented by the LORD that He is very merciful
    The LORD gave solomon riches
    "if riches increase do not set your heart on it"

Poverty is condemned almost as much as riches

"he who provides not for his own family is an infidel"

"he who sleeps in harvest is a son which causes shame"

"let him work that he may give to him who has none"

if you are trying to treat me as dirt here is another verse
    "a dog having washed returns to its own vomit so is those who return to their sins after knowing Me"

whether we sin or not we are always to have a merry heart so long as we rise

"He who loves Me keeps My commandments"

"If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their own work quietly and to earn their own living."

"Slaves obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service as people-pleasers but with sincerity of heart fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work heartily as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward You are serving the Lord Christ."

"Honor thy father and thy mother that you may live long on the earth"
    that was to be able to support their parents

I understand my way is the broad way which leads to destruction which is why I am trying to rise but I don't need no gloating from you guys or for you to Judge and act like I am a stumbling block
    With the same judgement you judge so will you be judged

I stayed up all night last week so I could have communion but I fell asleep just an hour before I planned on leaving the house to go to church because I guess I did not want to see you guys and I want to understand those outside the orthodox faith. If they have God's help rather than be their enemies and not have a fraternal feeling towards each other

yes the LORD tells us not to worry about tommorow He provides for our peace but not to abandon our work but leave it to the LORD and He will provide for us and our family

he who is hasty to get rich falleth into temptation
    the key is not to be hasty nor to love honor more than God

Matthew 25 and James sermon on faith without works teaches us our duty not to trivialise the needs of the poor and condemn them for not being spiritual enough

I will say however I feel your post was filled with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit but I have already said I do not like being judged with a spirit of haughtiness by people of your denomination

my favorite one was

He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.
    Proverbs 28:22

• there is no charity in your hearts nor is there respect towards people in your heart
    "honor all people" I was right you do not value me as a brother in truth

when the Israelites were in Egypt they were getting rich and the egyptians feared them and tried to stop them

God's desire is to give us abundance but it can not be fitting if we are not faithful to His commandments

the difference is you are now not the only people of God even if you keep trying to convice yourselves

only those who respect others i.e the humble will be blessed

those pharisees for a pretense make long prayers
    one day the condemn riches the other day they condemn poverty
    because they are most greedy for money and envious

I know it is not you binC I think you are a great man seeking God.. doesn't mean it is right

I will honor my parents even though they are rich and perhaps not as devout in some respects as some other christians yet they are still God's children

we thank God who gives us richly all things to enjoy
  • In the matter of piety, poverty serves us better than wealth, and
    work better than idleness, especially since wealth becomes an
    obstacle even for those who do not devote themselves to it. Yet,
    when we must put aside our wrath, quench our envy, soften our
    anger, offer our prayers, and show a disposition which is
    reasonable, mild, kindly, and loving, how could poverty stand in
    our way? For we accomplish these things not by spending money but
    by making the correct choice. Almsgiving above all else requires
    money, but even this shines with a brighter luster when the alms
    are given from our poverty. The widow who paid in the two mites
    was poorer than any human, but she outdid them all.

St. John Chrysostom
  • It is a good quote but I have something else to say about this topic

denying yourself is easy if you do not have any work or if you are not trying to serve God by serving people by engaging with worldly things

That is when faith is being tested