Same sex marriage laws

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi

Many countries are following America's lead on same sex marriages. The UK, Sweden, Denmark and Germany have already established same sex marriage laws.

How do these laws affect Coptic Christians? Marriage, after all, is a sacrament. 
How should one reconcile his or her religious convictions with their innate need to be patriotic to their country?

What is the main difference between same sex unions and marriage???

My understanding was that same sex unions was what the government recognized - marriage was what the church recognized.

Are these so called equality laws intended to just antagonize religious institutions?

What value added feature is there in same sex marriages that same sex unions did not have?

Are you aware that your kids, whilst growing up in a county that has this law, will be taught at a young age that 2 men or two women can also get married and adopt to have kids? Are you all ok with this??

Did you know that it will be a crime to teach your kids that same sex marriage is wrong ? That's discriminating.

I'm surprised a bit by Obama - he stated before his first election that marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman. But throughout his tenure , he has been the strongest advocate of same sex marriage.

Do you feel disenfranchised with your country over this?

How can you raise kids with the same Christian values you were raised with?

Comments

• Bishop Suriel has an episode of his podcast about homosexuality and human rights. You can get it here: http://www.bishopsuriel.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1258&Itemid=612

He seems very traditional, saying that homosexuality is an abomination.
  • [quote author=MichaelNZ link=topic=13844.msg161104#msg161104 date=1352713919]
    Bishop Suriel has an episode of his podcast about homosexuality and human rights. You can get it here: http://www.bishopsuriel.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1258&Itemid=612

He seems very traditional, saying that homosexuality is an abomination.

Yes, i've heard this. I know the position of the Church. However, my query is mainly on the grounds as you, the individual: your kids will have to be educated at school that gay marriage is OK. They will be given books now of Adam and Steve - a gay romantic story - two guys who get married and live happily ever after. These are the stories your kids will be reading. How do you feel about that?

How do you reconcile your faith with stuff like this?

If you were to protest against this, you'd be in the wrong as its discrimination. I mean, if the government allows for gay sex marriage, and you teach your kids that gay marriages are a sin, surely that is considered homophobic and a crime.

Isn't that the case?

I know many gay right activists who are DYING for the Church to make statements like Anba Souriel's so they can just close these establishments down as being "incompatible" with human right laws in their respective countries.

But as parents, as Christian coptic orthodox parents, who does this affect you??

• +
    We, ourselves, grew up with many artificial pressures from society. From thoughts introduced to us, to deeds we saw around us that weren't acceptable by God. We grew up with society trying to drill in our heads that the latest materialistic whatever was okay, that dating was okay, that we all have the same God, etc. An era that is possibly destructible than its previous generation.
    How did we live to go through it? Through a relationship with God. Through God's Word. Through the Church. Through the servants of the Church. Through the spiritual guidance and advice of our parents. When the world is shaken by the Truth, it falls in shame.

Keep the next generations close to these firm pillars and, instead of your children being influenced by the world, your children will be able to be influential on the world.

Do not be dismayed, because when the ways of society and the world (for "...the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one." - 1 John 5:19) is put up against the Word of God and what is acceptable by the Orthodox Church, the Truth holds an immensely strong grasp on the nourished Spirit.
  • great answer!
    :)