When do we say these hymns?

I never really hear these hymns being chanted and would just want to know when these are chanted, as in which service (Raising of incense, liturgy) and when exactly (before or after certain parts) in the service.  A quick explanation could really help too.

Psali Watos
Psali Adam
Aspasmos Watos
Aspasmos Adam
Apetjeek Evol
Tote Alithos
Apekran/Alithos Ghar
All the hymns that follow this certain tune. Ex:  Efrahi ya Mariam, Ayoha Alrab, Marenousht, Nisherobim.
Vol Evol

This would really help and thanks

Comments

• Psali Watos & Psali Adam:
    in general, an psali must be said during midnight praise or vespers praise. depending on the day, the appropriate psali is said. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are adam days, Wed-Sat are watos days. Also, there are 6 known tunes for psalies:
    Annual: one watos and another adam.
    Festive:one watos and another adam.
    Kiahky: one watos and another adam.

Aspasmos Watos:
    Ayoha Al-Rab is aspasmos watos of the annual days. Said after the beginning of the Anaphora, right before "The Cherubim worship ...."
    Aspasmos Adam:
    Efrahi Ya Mariam is aspasmos watos of the annual days and the 3rd week of kiahk. Said after Reconciliation Prayer, right before "Greet one another ...."

There are different Aspasmoses (either watos or adam) for different occasions and periods in a year. There are also different ones (many in fact) for annual days that no one ever says and many of saints feasts, that also no one ever says. something that is obvious is both tunes are unique.

Apetjeek Evol:
    To put it in simple words, it is the Response to the Catholic Epistle in liturgy but it has its own tune. Many specifically just says it during annual days.

Tote Alithos:
    a 2nd praxis response for the Virgin. Can be said any time in the year for the Version before the praxis response (to replace or to be said with Shere ne Maria).

Apekran/Alithos Ghar:
    It is specifically a hymn for Saints...referring more to fathers (those that have "Abba" as a title) and anchorites and monks) rather then martyrs.

Efrahi ya Mariam, Ayoha Alrab (see above)

Marenousht, Nisherobim: please provide a little more details about this.

Vol Evol:
    it is SPECIFICALLY, a people's response from St Gregory's Liturgy (http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1951) that should be said ONLY in that context. I personally hate it when people (specifically youth) say it out side that context, outside the liturgy (as part of Holy, holy, holy ...).
  • Thanks, tasgeel! this really helped a lot

[quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13690.msg159764#msg159764 date=1347411802]

I was referring to these two:

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns%2FAnnual%2FCongregation_Responses%2FIbrahim_Ayad%2Fpart4%2Ftrack_25_marenousht.223.mp3

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns%2FAnnual%2FCongregation_Responses%2FIbrahim_Ayad%2Fpart4%2Ftrack_29_nicherobim.212.mp3

But now I assume that these two are aspasmoses.
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13690.msg159767#msg159767 date=1347419393]
    Thanks, tasgeel! this really helped a lot

[quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13690.msg159764#msg159764 date=1347411802]

I was referring to these two:

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns%2FAnnual%2FCongregation_Responses%2FIbrahim_Ayad%2Fpart4%2Ftrack_25_marenousht.223.mp3

http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns%2FAnnual%2FCongregation_Responses%2FIbrahim_Ayad%2Fpart4%2Ftrack_29_nicherobim.212.mp3

But now I assume that these two are aspasmoses.

yep. both are annual watos aspasmoses
  • I would also like to add that the aspasmos Adam and aspasmos Watos can be said on the same day because in this case, Adam and Watos refer to tunes only not days- unlike the psali's and verses of cymbals
  • Also:

When do we say Apinav Shopi?
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=13690.msg159957#msg159957 date=1347836602]
    Also:

When do we say Apinav Shopi?

And to add, the hymn "Seven Tunes/Ways"
  • Apinav shopy is said on fasting days instead of alel orban (said after the 41 kirie leysons in the Liturgy of the Word). The seven tunes are said on the feast of nativity, epiphany, and resurrection during matins after the litany of the sick.
  • Amoussa01,

As a follow up question. . .what about when there is a liturgy on a non-fasting day besides Sat/Sun. . .e.g. Thursday?

Do we pray al el orban or apinav shopi?

Thanks.
  • On non fasting days we say alel orban
  • So the rites change based on whether or not we are fasting, and it isn't weekday vs. weekend?
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=13690.msg160387#msg160387 date=1349746410]
    So the rites change based on whether or not we are fasting, and it isn't weekday vs. weekend?

rites are based on if you are fasting or not...sometimes the other way around. But both are reflected on the day despite what it is.