Great YouTube vid of Fr. Matthew the Poor and...

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
some other hermit who I know nothing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-dIqmJvQFw

Does anyone know who that hermit is, the one who speaks English?

Comments

• It was good to see Fr Matta nearly thirty years before his repose.

Has anyone read Fr matta's book The Titles of Christ and can lets know what you thought of it?
  • The English speaking hermit looks like Abuna Elia from the photo in Journey Back to Eden.
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=13569.msg158129#msg158129 date=1343337949]
    It was good to see Fr Matta nearly thirty years before his repose.

Has anyone read Fr matta's book The Titles of Christ and can lets know what you thought of it?

Yeah it was, and the younger monk who was translating Fr. Matta's words into French is also in a recent DVD about St. Macarius Monastery, entitled "Le Lumiere du Desert".  It's really good if you understand French and/or Arabic.  I had to watch it with a friend who knows French in order to get the message.

I haven't read that book, but I've read "Communion of Love" and "Orthodox Prayer Life."

e:  Oh and I've read a little booklet by him called "On the Mount of Temptation" or something similar.  It was really good.
  • [quote author=aidan link=topic=13569.msg158130#msg158130 date=1343338363]
    The English speaking hermit looks like Abuna Elia from the photo in Journey Back to Eden.

Hmm, I'll have to look him up.  He was dropping bombs all over the place in that video I posted!  Whew...
  • Awesome! I live Abouna Matta. When it comes to prayer and relationship with God, Abouna did it best. That is why his words have that effect. They come from practice.

Pray for us, Abouna.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • seriously man

seriously..i need english!
  • [quote author=arsenios link=topic=13569.msg158138#msg158138 date=1343353619]
    [quote author=aidan link=topic=13569.msg158129#msg158129 date=1343337949]

Yeah it was, and the younger monk who was translating Fr. Matta's words into French is also in a recent DVD about St. Macarius Monastery, entitled "Le Lumiere du Desert".  It's really good if you understand French and/or Arabic.  I had to watch it with a friend who knows French in order to get the message.

I haven't read that book, but I've read "Communion of Love" and "Orthodox Prayer Life."

e:  Oh and I've read a little booklet by him called "On the Mount of Temptation" or something similar.  It was really good.

I had the blessing of meeting Abouna Elia in 2007 when I stayed at his monastery for my 40 days following my ordination. It was a tremendous blessing...He passed into eternal life not too long ago. He was a great humble and saintly monk. His words were very deep...
  • [quote author=Fr. Kyrillos link=topic=13569.msg158572#msg158572 date=1344320103]
    [quote author=arsenios link=topic=13569.msg158138#msg158138 date=1343353619]
    [quote author=aidan link=topic=13569.msg158129#msg158129 date=1343337949]

I had the blessing of meeting Abouna Elia in 2007 when I stayed at his monastery for my 40 days following my ordination. It was a tremendous blessing...He passed into eternal life not too long ago. He was a great humble and saintly monk. His words were very deep...

So that was Abouna Elia in the video?  The hermit that spoke English?

By the way, what a blessing.
  • Yes, that was Abouna Elia. When I saw him he was of course much older. He started out with Fr. Matthew the Poor at St. Macarius but later ended up at St. Bishoy (I don't know why). He was living as a recluse but within the monastery in a special reserved area. In the same area I met another saintly monk by the name of Fr. Yustus Anba Bishoy who I was told sometimes goes unseen for several years at a time. I thought he was blind as his eyes had a strange look to them and he had no eyelashes but I was told it was because of his gift of tears...he wept so often that he lost his eyelashes, jut like St. Arsenios!
  • [quote author=Fr. Kyrillos link=topic=13569.msg158578#msg158578 date=1344322787]
    Yes, that was Abouna Elia. When I saw him he was of course much older. He started out with Fr. Matthew the Poor at St. Macarius but later ended up at St. Bishoy (I don't know why). He was living as a recluse but within the monastery in a special reserved area. In the same area I met another saintly monk by the name of Fr. Yustus Anba Bishoy who I was told sometimes goes unseen for several years at a time. I thought he was blind as his eyes had a strange look to them and he had no eyelashes but I was told it was because of his gift of tears...he wept so often that he lost his eyelashes, jut like St. Arsenios!

Wow.  Yes, just like Arsenios!  :D  Thank you for sharing that.