Rejoice at the prospect of gay marriage.

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues

This is what Senior Bishops in the Church of England are saying. They are also saying God grace is at work in same-sex marrige.

This is unacceptable!

What makes them think God would condone this?

People lives live for generations through the families that have gone before and it ends with the advent of one homosexual who doesn't have children. They call it love but it is also selfish and ends with the agreement of another selfish minded person. Not only that, but these people could stop another persons generation by convincing them that it is all right to be gay.

What do you think?

Comments

• Is there a particular reason that you care to discuss such a topic? Homosexuality is wrong, end of discussion.

• Sorry Ioannes, I just read it in the news paper. We know it's wrong but they still are pushing the homosexual cause. Our Bishop has spoken up against it and I'm just doing the same. I'll just say protestants and let it end there. You know Protestants were are war with themselves before there were at war with Catholics in England. The puritans against the Levelers. The conservatives against the liberals.
  • Yes and it does not make sense. Homosexuals seeking the approval of their sin, they seek to subvert the church because they do not see anything wrong with their sin. Imagine if we did that with every sin we had, then there would be no need for church because every sin would be accepted as normal behavior people are "born with". Homosexuality is a sin like any other sin, but when people seek approval of them living in their sin, it becomes pure evil. THAT is unacceptable.
  • I agree with PeterA.

It is too easy to be subject to a love of the world ourselves, and yet point out others who are subject to that same love of the world in different ways as if they will be lost and we alone will be saved.

The words we read at the Liturgy yesterday teach us..

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

This surely applies to us all. And just as there are those who make an idol of sexuality, so there are those of us who make an idol of an education, a career, even family and friends, possessions, holidays, cars etc etc.

It will be better for the one who has struggled manfully with homosexuaal temptations and has sometimes fallen yet repented, than for the outwardly devout Orthodox who seems to live a good life but is chained to this passing world with desire for material goods, wealth and the desire for advancement.

•   My thoughts are the same as you who have responded. Thanks for your opinions.

Just a personal thought. I've been thinking about Adam and Eve been deceived by the serpent at the tree of knowledge. No-one talks about the tree, but to me it is planted in the earth. So what I get from that is it isn't knowledge of the world that will bring us to God but God's commandments as he gave Adam and Eve a commandment and they disobeyed. A command gives direction. Therefore, truth lies in direction. In this world, it has become so easy polarize opinion by the use of good words like love, but it is really like a bribe where something good is first offered but behind it, there is something bad.

• God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.
  • Slurs are not necessarily the best way to combat the issue
  • I really do not care if homo's are able to get civil marriages or not, what I want is for them to leave the church alone. To stop pestering its adherents on forums and such. I get so tired of them jamming their insanity down our throats, coming here and trying to stir up trouble on a site with apparently no moderation whatsoever.

It is a terrible shame that these homo's hide behind the anonymity of the internet, seek to rile people up to justify their stance against the church. It is also a terrible shame that unrepentant homosexuals are not punished or exiled in some way. Although being barred from communion is certainly far worse than a death sentence.

I just wish Gabe and his fag friends would leave this website and go do their emo thing somewhere else.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13207.msg156026#msg156026 date=1338014894]
    I really do not care if homo's are able to get civil marriages or not, what I want is for them to leave the church alone. To stop pestering its adherents on forums and such. I get so tired of them jamming their insanity down our throats, coming here and trying to stir up trouble on a site with apparently no moderation whatsoever.

It is a terrible shame that these homo's hide behind the anonymity of the internet, seek to rile people up to justify their stance against the church. It is also a terrible shame that unrepentant homosexuals are not punished or exiled in some way. Although being barred from communion is certainly far worse than a death sentence.

I just wish Gabe and his fag friends would leave this website and go do their emo thing somewhere else.

We really don't need that kind of unChristian way of speech.
    It is unnecessary to your cause, and detracts from your credibility - both in and outside the Church.
  • the main problem is that the anglican church in uk is in meltdown.
    it was founded on the wrong principles (rebellion against rome), so it is not surprising it is half full of people / clergy who don't even believe the most basic parts of the Bible and it is now collapsing in  on itself.
    there are many people left in the church who still love God and try to follow him no matter what it costs, but they are now faced with the difficult decision of how much longer to stay in the church.

so please pray for people in the uk, that they will discover the riches within the orthodox church and especially pray for the british orthodox church who is reaching out to them with limited resources.
    (i changed the title of the thread in my reply to emphasize the root problem)
    ps copti copa, welcome! nice to see another uk person here
    :)
  • Do pray for the missions of the British Orthodox Church.

It is not easy to find and work with those who are not Orthodox, and not even Christian, and share our faith with them.

If you are in London or the surrounding area do consider supporting our activities with your presence, it gets lonely with no support from other members of the Coptic Church.
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=13207.msg156033#msg156033 date=1338017034]
    [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13207.msg156026#msg156026 date=1338014894]
    I really do not care if homo's are able to get civil marriages or not, what I want is for them to leave the church alone. To stop pestering its adherents on forums and such. I get so tired of them jamming their insanity down our throats, coming here and trying to stir up trouble on a site with apparently no moderation whatsoever.

It is unnecessary to your cause, and detracts from your credibility - both in and outside the Church.

I do not care what kind of ad hominim you throw at me, I do not care what you think of me.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13207.msg156120#msg156120 date=1338176126]
    [quote author=qawe link=topic=13207.msg156033#msg156033 date=1338017034]

I do not care what kind of ad hominim you throw at me, I do not care what you think of me.
    Ioannes, forgive me, but that was a little harsh. One of HH's final wishes was that we do good to all humanity, not just coptic orthodox Christians. I really understand your frustration with him/them, but calling them names and insulting them is wrong.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13207.msg156120#msg156120 date=1338176126]
    [quote author=qawe link=topic=13207.msg156033#msg156033 date=1338017034]

What's the point of referring to homosexuals with such invective, when their actions can just as easily be denounced calmly and rationally through logic and biblical quotations?

And btw its "ad hominem"
  • The torment of homosexuals is as big a sin as homosexual acts. These people are tormented with this problem which many of them which they did not have. It is sinful to be insensitive of it. I have a coptic friend who, just a few months ago, opened up to me and stated that he was gay. IHe did it in tears, and in full faith to God. He has restricted the acts and the lust, but he feels an attraction to men rather than women. I respect him. He vowed never to act, as he understand that homosexual marriage is incorrect. Calling them "fags" and "homos" is unchristian, and to be rebuked for doing so is as much an ad hominem as being told your opinion is wrong. Your delivery is wrong in calling them that.

Don't forget, we are not arguing to prove who is right. We are discussing how to deal with those people who are tormented by this disorder. We are discussing the treatment of these children of God. He does not take the torment of His children lightly... at all.

From dealing with homosexuals, what I have learned is that they often have a problem with the church, and so, they drift away from it. In drifting away from the church, they drift away from God. So to bring them back to God for healing, we must help them love the church. Pejorative terms such as fag do the exact opposite and drive them away from the church feeling unloved, thus driving them away from God.

Driving them away from God, is a sin that even Christ admitted would have the heaviest of prices to pay. Mark 9:42

Be careful with god's beloved children. We are against homosexual acts and lust, but the people; well, they may be holier than us! Fr. Seraphim Rose? Fr. Henri Nouwen? Care to call them fags? It seems that these days, name calling from both sides has taken over reasonable understanding.

ReturnOrthodoxy

• If they are true in been children of God then there treatment is an offering of repentance. If they refuse, it is not only been sorry about what they have done but also denying there is anything wrong. Their conscience has become so liberal as to say to themselves it is ok. What conscience has the government if they agree with them?
  • No, if they refuse, we lovingly keep the door of repentance and attraction to the faith. We need to encourage this. They need to feel loved and accepted, and be brought to repentance in love. This, obviously, does not stop us from constantly reminding that homosexuality is sin. There is nothing that should come in the way of that. Still, love is of utmost importance.

The above link is exemplary of a homosexual who loves his church for being against homosexuality, and for being loving and accepting of him. That is the key.

ReturnOrthodoxy

•     Forgive me as I was been protective. 

• Josh,

We probably mean the same thing. We both want to respect the,but be strict against homosexuality. I'm sure we know what we are both talking about. There is nothing to forgive :D

ReturnOrthodoxy

• I do respect them however they are pushing for rights that say there life style is normal. Governments are increasingly allowing these rights and in doing so we find that their rights supersede ours. We all want to be ourselves, however, they are not themselves because they are making an idol of their own image. I'm married to a woman and in doing so I married someone weaker, so It is my job to protect her. When I've done that she honours me back with comfort just like Jesus when he saved Mary Magdilene and she washed his feet with her hair.
  • I do respect them however they are pushing for rights that say there life style is normal.

Homosexual acts are not normal. That is not up for debate. I am just saying that we have to be loving of people struggling with this. Even if they are not struggling properly, we, as good christians, must struggle on their behalf. We should pray for them, fast for them, do metanias for them etc. We certainly do not forsake the Orthodox truth for them!

I'm married to a woman and in doing so I married someone weaker

You'd better hope your wife doesn't come across this LOL. I understand though.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=13207.msg156187#msg156187 date=1338328219]

I'm married to a woman and in doing so I married someone weaker

You'd better hope your wife doesn't come across this LOL. I understand though.

ReturnOrthodoxy

LOL!

• I do love everybody as they are God's, but that isn't the issue for me. What I was saying in the last post was talking firstly, protection and from that honour. It isn't the homosexuals I'm mainly worried about but the protection of others. When we honour we come to agreement and from agreement peace but it starts with protection.
            Ioannes, irishpligrim and others seek help from the church because they have a problem and want God's help. First of all they need to feel protected. The homosexuals I'm talking about are not seeking help but instead seek the demise of the church for the comfort of their own conscience.
      Yes big trouble if I say she is the weaker. I thought I was humble before but I have a lot more to go. Please pray for me in this. Wisdom comes from being humble. I think I will die a wise man.
  • The homosexuals I'm talking about are not seeking help but instead seek the demise of the church for the comfort of their own conscience.

We won't let them demise it. But the best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend. So to get the to stop destroying the church, we make them love it.

• You can't make them love it, but I can think you can give them less fear of it.
  • How do you mean 'respect them'?
    I don't understand this
  • To have a certain regard or consideration for their rights in society. The problem with politics is some groups are normalizing questionable moral behavour and this creates the lessening of societies conscience which in turn effects the moral standing that has been established. In other words, there is erosion in morals that effects us all, but we don't cut them off by judgement, but respect them them first if we are ever going to talk about the salvation of Jesus Christ.
  • Respect means you like some sort of behavior or characteristic they portray. We respect those who we admire and look up to. So to "respect" homosexuals doesn't seem to make sense, unless you know of a specific person you respect because of something positive he/she did.

But there is another word we use to describe our behavior towards them in general: love. We may or may not respect some of them (we definitely do not respect their choice of homosexual actions), but we are commanded to love all of them without any other reason except the fact that they are human.
  • Hi Mina
     You are quite right about loving humankind, however, even though they use love as we do, it is rights by law that influance morals that I was concerned about. If we don't repect their rights then we don't repect the law. I respect their humanity but not their moral standing.
       I did know someone many years ago when I wanted to go to a church, but it wasn't open and he happened to be outside and we had a good talk. Later, not that night he was murdered outside his flat. He loved to help people and there are many things they do that are good. So it isn't as clear cut as do they deserve repect or not as there are things that do desevre respect.

They break the covenant that is also in our liturgy and that is God looking after us from generation to generation as they cannot produce children.