The Apocalypse In Coptic

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey, I finished a project I had been working on for quite a while. It is the Apocalypse of St. John entirely in Coptic. I was having trouble because I do not know Coptic grammar, I got some help from a few people in getting other sources to cross reference and compare what I had....AND it helped me with chapter and verse placement. Check it out.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-apocalypse/the-apocalypse-in-the-coptic-language/hardcover/product-20063430.html

Comments

• you didn't know that i already have it here: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/170
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13181.msg154614#msg154614 date=1334564175]
    you didn't know that i already have it here: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/170

This is the book of Revelation, from the bible. Its in print and for me there is value in printed material as opposed to only having electronic versions.
  • ok. i agree. and that's why I am publishing the text of the book of Revelation in coptic into our Bright Saturday Book too.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13181.msg154639#msg154639 date=1334617745]
    ok. i agree. and that's why I am publishing the text of the book of Revelation in coptic into our Bright Saturday Book too.

You know what would be really great, a Coptic - English Agpeya  ;)
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=13181.msg154641#msg154641 date=1334629104]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13181.msg154639#msg154639 date=1334617745]
    ok. i agree. and that's why I am publishing the text of the book of Revelation in coptic into our Bright Saturday Book too.

that is not hard since we have all the text.....but no one would use it.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13181.msg154642#msg154642 date=1334629665]
    [quote author=servant33 link=topic=13181.msg154641#msg154641 date=1334629104]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13181.msg154639#msg154639 date=1334617745]

that is not hard since we have all the text.....but no one would use it.

I would totally use it!!!!
  • ME TOO!!! I would use it all the time! Lol some people would even use it seven times every day.
  • You see, this is good. I do not think people really understand the value of print. Also, many do not understand the value of praying and singing "in tongues" which is essentially what we are doing with Coptic.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13181.msg154663#msg154663 date=1334642914]
    Also, many do not understand the value of praying and singing "in tongues" which is essentially what we are doing with Coptic.

Ioannes, would you please elaborate on this?

And before everybody freaks out, this definitely will be accompanied by a language of understanding until I totally understand each and every word of the Coptic Agpeya.
  • Praying in tongues, or singing hymns in tongues (glossolalia) is not the incoherant babbling you see in these charismatic and non-denominational groups. Nobody has any clue what anyone is saying, including the person, in that instance.

I may be incorrect on this so I want you and everyone else to know I am not speaking for the church on this, this is my interpretation. We KNOW tongues are actual languages and that this is what the apostles were speaking, or the people were hearing on pentecost. I have personally found it better to pray and sing in Coptic for the simple reason that I do not want anyone to know what I am saying, it is between God and I. So when I pray or sing, my neighbors have no clue what I am saying. For me, it makes prayer and hymns much more personal, like when I speak to my wife in her language where we live, it is much more private and intimate, even though a bunch of people might be around.

What I had realized this lent is that I have little to no faith whatsoever. I realized that I believe because of study, and that the evidence strongly infers that Christ existed, that He is not "just a man", and that Orthodox Christianity, specifically Oriental Orthodox, is correct. I am sure that God brought me here, there is no doubt, but I believed, not because of faith. So, I delved more into Coptic because I feel that it is much more personal between God and I. So, while this may not be the official stance of the Coptic Church, I think, in my case, it makes sense to me. It helps me gain faith by being more personal, and because nobody hears me praying and singing in english, there is less chance of being puffed up, which I am most often puffed up.

Sorry for the long explanation and if I am incorrect in anything I have said, please, correct me.
  • Just got my first copy, looks amazing. I also added the prophecies of St Hippolytus in english at the end of this work.