A troubling verse for many

edited March 2012 in Faith Issues
Many will say to Me in that day Lord Lord have we not prophesied in your name cast out demons and done many wonders in your name? Then I will declare to them I know you not

I don't think that means we should not speak in His name
But I think He was referring to those who think they know God and think they are doing His will when they are not
Such as the Pharisees trying to stone the sinner woman or any Christian who judges and gossips and thinks they are doing God a favor
all those who misinterpret the bible to do what they want
or do not even read the bible

Comments

• It is referring to those who are Christian by name only. Yes, they brought many to Christ, but did they themselves really know Christ on a personal level? Were they really honest with themselves in their spiritual lives or were they justifying their wrong actions and continue living a "pleasureable life" in sin?

The reason this verse is scary is because some of us do this sometimes and we forget we are here for a reason, not just to get a good job and get a lot of money. Our job is NOT to bring all to Christ, but rather to bring Christ to all and this is most effectively done in actions rather than words.
  • Generally it is referring to protestantism. He actually accuses them of "lawlessness". Practicing without authority, that could only be anyone outside the church claiming to be part of the church. The counterfeit church. What sound Orthodox Christian would come to Christ saying anything like that? I think from each and every one of us true Orthodox Christians you would hear "Lord have mercy!"
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13071.msg153527#msg153527 date=1332483083]
    Generally it is referring to protestantism. He actually accuses them of "lawlessness". Practicing without authority, that could only be anyone outside the church claiming to be part of the church. The counterfeit church. What sound Orthodox Christian would come to Christ saying anything like that? I think from each and every one of us true Orthodox Christians you would hear "Lord have mercy!"

Let's not forget that it is referring to us as well, if we go to church every Sunday without genuine repentance and desire to be close to God.

There are many Protestants who do this better than us, even though Orthodoxy encourages it more. So it's not solely the fault of Protestantism.

Also, it doesnt look very good to immediately bring this facet up when we are addressing orthodox Christians.  Advancement of orthodoxy should be our primary concern not denigrating Protestantism.

Note: all capitalization unintended
  • Just to make sure you are not missing the main point
    These people thought they were in the right with God
    and doing His will they blasphemed the character (not talking about Blasphemy of HS now) of God
    and we're hurtful to God and maybe others by their hypocrisy

The old testament says it like this "these people delight to approach me as if they were a nation which did righteousness"

Another example is a person living in sin and yet he tells people they need to accept Christ to be saved and they don't need to repent just to accept Christ so as to turn many away from christianity and to make them doubt His fairness

I accidentally revealed myself

It is not wrong to be living to make money or working as long as you still have a relationship with God it seems you want to force Christians to leave their jobs just to concentrate on saving many people that is a bad example for the world

I signed into this username to thank a member who previously made a post which I find now was very wise and helpful for me now but I will refrain thanking now because it may seem weird and bad
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=13071.msg153528#msg153528 date=1332483750]
    [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13071.msg153527#msg153527 date=1332483083]
    Generally it is referring to protestantism. He actually accuses them of "lawlessness". Practicing without authority, that could only be anyone outside the church claiming to be part of the church. The counterfeit church. What sound Orthodox Christian would come to Christ saying anything like that? I think from each and every one of us true Orthodox Christians you would hear "Lord have mercy!"

Let's not forget that it is referring to us as well, if we go to church every Sunday without genuine repentance and desire to be close to God.

There are many Protestants who do this better than us, even though Orthodoxy encourages it more. So it's not solely the fault of Protestantism.

Also, it doesnt look very good to immediately bring this facet up when we are addressing orthodox Christians.  Advancement of orthodoxy should be our primary concern not denigrating Protestantism.

Note: all capitalization unintended

No, this is not referring to us. Christ specifically refers to them as "lawless". We are not lawless in the sense of practicing on our own authority. We certainly can fall into this, as many have in the past, but this specific verse is speaking of those who operate outside the authority of the Church.
  • Dearest brother Ioannes,

It most certainly can refer to us. Let us take a brief look at St. Cyril of Alexandria's words on the matter:

"Cyril of Alexandria: There may be some who, in the beginning, believed rightly and assiduously labored at virtue. They may have even worked miracles and prophesied and cast out demons. And yet later they are found turning aside to evil, to self-assertive deception and desire. Of these Jesus remarks that he “never knew them.” He ranks them as equivalent to those who were never known by him at all. Even if they at the outset had lived virtuously, they ended up condemned. God knows those whom he loves, and he loves those who single-mindedly believe in him and do the things that please him. Fragment 88"

How many of us begin in the path of the Faith in such fervor, only later to fall away so easily? Or, perhaps, on a daily basis, how many say that they will rely fully on God during their day, only to find themselves falling in sin? For what greater miracle is there than repentance and life in Christ, and how many truly pursue it?

childoforthodoxy
  • Forbidden post
  • [quote author=childoforthodoxy link=topic=13071.msg153537#msg153537 date=1332517629]
    Dearest brother Ioannes,

It most certainly can refer to us. Let us take a brief look at St. Cyril of Alexandria's words on the matter:

"Cyril of Alexandria: There may be some who, in the beginning, believed rightly and assiduously labored at virtue. They may have even worked miracles and prophesied and cast out demons. And yet later they are found turning aside to evil, to self-assertive deception and desire. Of these Jesus remarks that he “never knew them.” He ranks them as equivalent to those who were never known by him at all. Even if they at the outset had lived virtuously, they ended up condemned. God knows those whom he loves, and he loves those who single-mindedly believe in him and do the things that please him. Fragment 88"

How many of us begin in the path of the Faith in such fervor, only later to fall away so easily? Or, perhaps, on a daily basis, how many say that they will rely fully on God during their day, only to find themselves falling in sin? For what greater miracle is there than repentance and life in Christ, and how many truly pursue it?

childoforthodoxy

Certainly, if Orthodox Christians fall away, then technically they are no longer Orthodox Christians. It does not refer to "us" but those who have "fallen away". Orthodoxy is the truth.