Relics

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Quickquestion. If there is a saint example like Pope Kyrollos he still hasn't completed 50 years to be called a Saint but we know he is a saint but he hasn't completed the 50 years
At my church we have part of his beard do we do henout on it even though he's not a saint yet?

Thanks God bless +++

Comments

• How do we know it is actually a part of his beard? The fact that someone would snip off part of His Holiness Pope Kyrillos's beard after his passing seems disrespectful to me, especially if they did it without his permission.

I am against the open display of relics that some churches do. Take a look at Akhmim. Is it really appropriate or respectful to display the bodies of saints that have passed? I know some priests have taken a stand against this and some do not allow relics to be brought into the churches they serve.

• The thing is is that i was told by one of St. Mina's Monastery monks that a hair brush left behind by Pope Kyrillos is a source of his relics in the churches. It was kept by his disciple since the day of his passing, so authenticity is nothing to be doubtful of, and even if doubtful, H.H. lived recently, the authenticity can be proved rather easily since his clothes and hair were collected from him not too long ago :)  I actually was given a hair from Sayedna's brush by Anba Kyrillos, the abbot of St. Mina's Monastery a couple of years back as I visited, and it really is a great blessing.

As for SWMSANMG's comment, The relics of the saints were venerated by people, who were healed because of their public exposition, since the time of St. Peter and Paul, whom the handkerchief of one healed many and made evil spirits come out. The shadow of the other healed. Now the relics of the saints were a great blessing to those who came to venerate since many signs and wonders appeared from them through the power of Christ, as written in the Synaxarium, and our church is a church filled with signs and miracles which appear from it's saints. Since the relics of the saints were exposed to the public since the martyrdom on St. Mark (whose body was placed in a shrine in a church in Alexandria, until robbers robbed the shrine) , it would not be disrespectful, since it is a church tradition. The relics at Akhmim are exposed to show the public, coptic or not, how the power of God manifested itself into the ordinary people of Upper Egypt, who were martyred in his name. Their relics are incorrupt, some hair still grows on the skulls of some of them.

Now for marinacopt's comment. Henout from the wooden cylinders of saints does not automatically say that the relics are of a Saint. Henoot is made to give people a blessing of a person who is a saint, or of a person who is widely known as incredibly holy, which is why we pass out henoot to the church congregation :). We here have some of Father Bishoy Kamel's hair and a piece of clothing which has henoot made on it on his feast. It does not mean he's a saint YET. It's just a source of blessing made for the people :) Any more questions check other posts like this one :) http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,12403.msg145317.html#msg145317

Pray For Me,

Je Nai Nan
  • Je Nai Nan,

Please my brother; Save a piece of your hair for me as my blessing when you depart to Heaven.
  • [quote author=Rony link=topic=13034.msg153141#msg153141 date=1331929961]
    Je Nai Nan,

Please my brother; Save a piece of your hair for me as my blessing when you depart to Heaven.

;)
  • No no the hair isn't just hanging there it's in a wooden tube thing. I don't find it disrespectful its just a blessing for the church. But I see where you are coming from

[quote author=SWMSANMG link=topic=13034.msg153137#msg153137 date=1331918150]
    How do we know it is actually a part of his beard? The fact that someone would snip off part of His Holiness Pope Kyrillos's beard after his passing seems disrespectful to me, especially if they did it without his permission.

I am against the open display of relics that some churches do.

But like at my church it isn't put on display it's inside the altar hardly anyone sees in only on his feast.
    Personally I think that we have to  take  permission from St Maximus and Domadious or St George or St Mina but yet we still have part of their bones. It's the same thing.

• Je nai nan thank you so much for answering my question. You have made things much clearer.
    ++ God bless ++