i dont understand what happens if you dont repent 1 sin and die

edited March 2012 in Faith Issues
if a person who is coptic or some other type of christian does not repent about a sin or sins and dies do they go to heaven or hell. ? lets say a person fights agianst the sin but can still not repent completly and dies do they go to heaven? or what if they dont fight agianst the sin do they go to hell?

thanks for your explanations 

Comments

• If they've been fighting against the sin, they will surely inherit the Kingdom.

If they haven't, then it will depend on the mercy of God as well as other aspects of the person's life.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=13026.msg153033#msg153033 date=1331698875]
    If they've been fighting against the sin, they will surely inherit the Kingdom.

If they haven't, then it will depend on the mercy of God as well as other aspects of the person's life.

I am sorry George...but i really don't like that answer.

I believe it simply is God's judgement at that time. Think about....we know that no on will EVER BE fully repentant and has confessed every single sin they have done to milliseconds to their death. even in things that we see at those last hours, we cannot be the judge despite what we see and what we know about the person.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13026.msg153034#msg153034 date=1331701587]
    [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=13026.msg153033#msg153033 date=1331698875]

I believe it simply is God's judgement at that time. Think about....we know that no on will EVER BE fully repentant and has confessed every single sin they have done to milliseconds to their death. even in things that we see at those last hours, we cannot be the judge despite what we see and what we know about the person.

you don't need to have confessed every single sin to the milliseconds before death
    as long as you repent (and are confessing regularly) that is enough (I heard this in a sermon, it is part of the priests absolution)
    That's why living a constantly repentant life is so important
    I don't know about if you don't have enough time to repent.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13026.msg153034#msg153034 date=1331701587]
    [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=13026.msg153033#msg153033 date=1331698875]

I am thankful that one who Judges us is the same one who pardoned the right hand thief.

Where did I say "seconds before their death?" And where did I say it depends on what we see and know about the person?
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13026.msg153031#msg153031 date=1331695587]
    if a person who is coptic or some other type of christian does not repent about a sin or sins and dies do they go to heaven or hell. ? lets say a person fights agianst the sin but can still not repent completly and dies do they go to heaven? or what if they dont fight agianst the sin do they go to hell?

thanks for your explanations

The right answer is... we do not know! God is all-knowing, all-merciful and he is the perfect judge. To simple human minds, that may seem contradictory, but our minds are not even a drop in God's oceans. Why do we always try to understand God's mind? All what we know is that we will be saved through his grace.  Just do your best to unite with God and leave the rest for his mercy.
  • I remember discussing with a friend the topic of an alcoholic and if he lapsed and drank himself into a stupor right before he died.  In the case of something like this I don't think we can say that this person would be condemned.  The reason is alcoholism is an addiction and it takes a great deal of struggle to beat, the poor soul afflicted with this sin would go through many stages of rising up, lapsing and then rising up again.  All of this is a demonstration that the person falls out of weakness but if he gets up again each time then God knows what would happen if this drunk was given a few more days. God knows this because a person may have demonstrated it by repenting 30 or 40 times already.  It is a totally different situation to someone in the era of martyrdom choosing to sacrifice incense to idols, in one case someone fell in a long running battle with addiction out of weakness and in this latter example a person has renounced Christ.  The former may still have died in the hope of the resurrection while the latter has given it up entirely.
  • Look guys, I have fallen into this same questions years back and I have grown to learn this:

Don't worry about it. As long as you keep the desire to know God, He will present Himself to you in everyday life. Sin is the only thing that separates us from Him, and if you honestly believe that the sin you committed was an atrocity done against God and that you really regret doing it then there is nothing to worry about. Just get up, pray, and continue seeking God everyday.

Usually, when one asks whether he will go to hell or not for one sin, it is because he knows that there is one sin that he really likes to do and he doesn't want to give it up so he is trying to work his spiritual life around this sin while not trying to get rid of it. Or he just wants to know the minimum work that needs to be done in order to get to Heaven so that he doesn't have to get very tired.

I am not saying this is the reason why you asked, but i am talking from experience. The answer is, there is nothing we can do to gain entrance in the Kingdom of Heaven. We don't deserve it and it is only by God's grace that we will ever be allowed to enter, no matter who you are.

Even though that last paragraph is there, it isn't meant to scare you or anything. If you are living a life with God then there is no need to worry. Yes, you WILL sin, but what's important is that you acknowledge that it was wrong before God and get up and move on. Don't dwell on thinking about your sins. God says "When I forgive, I forget". God isn't gonna be like, "Well... you've done this sin about 152 times according to my records, so i don't think i will forget about this one." No, it's not like that. Even though He has every right to do that, He won't.

The most important thing is to keep seeking. I like how Abouna Anthony Messeh puts things into perspective in the video that i will link at the end of this post. We need to keep seeking a relationship with God and to want to know more about Him then just focusing on how many sins we have committed and whether that number will reach the requirement to gain entrance into His kingdom.

This type of thinking says a lot about the person. It says that he is focusing and contemplating more on God's judgement than His love. Even though we shouldn't take His judgement for granted, for the time being He is loving and merciful and waiting for us to make the move. The only day we should be fearful is on judgement day and we know we have been "hiding" things from Him. So, the main point is to focus more on God's love. He is a very loving, and yes this sounds very weird right now. I have felt like you in the past. But i am telling you, when you earnestly seek Him, you will taste of this Love that i am talking about and that many others have mentioned here on this forum.

Without further ado, I strongly recommend that you watch this video by Abouna Anthony Messeh:

Fr Anthony Messeh - Faith In Action Part 4 I Believe In God, But I Don't Know Him

That video is Part 4 in the series Faith In action, but it ties up  everything in the last one, that is why i recommend it, but if you want to watch the others here they are:

Fr Anthony Messeh - Faith In Action Part 1 I Believe In God, But I Don't Fear Him

Fr Anthony Messeh - Faith In Action Part 2 I Believe In God, But I Don't Go Overboard

Fr Anthony Messeh - Faith In Action Part 3 I Believe In God, But I Trust In Earthly Treasures

• Another story from Fr Athanasius Iskander in Canada I quite like is of a soldier who is fighting in a war.  He is called to defend a town and is out numbered and then falls injured in the line of duty.  No one in their right mind would call that person a coward and condemn them, they would tell them how brave they were and how much they loved their country to stand and fight like that.

In the same way I think God's faithfulness extends to us while we're in sin.  If we keep putting our faith and trust in Him and getting up to fight against odds we know to be against us, God is faithful to us in return.  It would be a hideous thing for God to say to someone struggling with a sin - 'sorry but you died at the wrong moment before you could repent.'  What would it say to the poor soul who struggled all that time and kept getting up over and over again?