Jesus died for sinners

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
If Jesus died for sinners why does He let people die young because they were not watchful? Does He not wish to wait for their return or does He want to save the world from immorality?

Comments

• [quote author=user157 link=topic=12838.msg151054#msg151054 date=1327483033]
    If Jesus died for sinners why does He let people die young because they were not watchful? Does He not wish to wait for their return or does He want to save the world from immorality?

Jesus died for sinners, but this doesn't mean that everyone goes to heaven, as I'm sure you're well aware.

"because they were not watchful" - I'm assuming this isn't giving the reason for this person's death- because only god knows why he allowed someone to die

We simply don't know gods reasons. This is why we should be watchful ourselves and also preach so that we can prevent ppl from dying without Christ. This is the correct and godly way at looking at your (hypothetical) situation.

Pray that god may give you peace in your heart regarding such matters, and you may (should) speak to your FOC as these questions entailing doubt pop up in your mind.
  • If someone does not look both ways before crossing the street, it is their fault for not looking, not anyone elses.
  • But Jesus loved us and wants everyone in heaven which is why He died that does not mean everyone must go to heaven for we must return to Him with our free will but why would He hinder our returning with an early death such as someone killing someone
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12838.msg151070#msg151070 date=1327518528]
    But Jesus loved us and wants everyone in heaven which is why He died that does not mean everyone must go to heaven for we must return to Him with our free will but why would He hinder our returning with an early death such as someone killing someone

God does not hinder my friend, we hinder ourselves. God knows our hearts and maybe that person started to move towards God, which is something we cannot truly know. The church fathers actually speak of such things. Like, if a person is a catechumen but dies before baptism, then the desire they had to be baptized was a type of baptism itself. As black and white as I am in my thinking, things really are not as polarized as I think.

Fr. Peter is a great example. He was protestant and could have stayed protestant but because of his love for God and truth, he was moved by The Holy Spirit to Orthodoxy. So even as a protestant the Holy Spirit was clearly at work in Fr. Peter's life. But this was also Fr. Peter's choice because he honestly desired God, and not what he wanted God to be. Even in my own experience I can say that God gives us opportunities to come to Him, many unfortunately do not listen and are unable to deny themselves before taking up their cross.
  • How do you know this person lost their chance to repentance? Maybe, if he had continued on living. He would have dug a deep hole and committed worse sin. This in itself may be God's love as we do not know the future, nor this person's past.
  • [quote author=drilago99 link=topic=12838.msg151088#msg151088 date=1327528620]
    How do you know this person lost their chance to repentance? Maybe, if he had continued on living. He would have dug a deep hole and committed worse sin. This in itself may be God's love as we do not know the future, nor this person's past.

As long as the person is alive s/he have a chance. The all-knowing God knows when a person is not going to repent that is when the person die.
  • +Why didn't God wait a couple of hours more for the thief on the left hand? What made the right hand thief repent and not the left?
    What stopped the left hand thief from repenting, was his rejection of the clear Truth crucified before him. When a human has convinced themself about something other than Who is God and what is His path, the eyes, mind and heart become blind to the Truth.

If someone's heart would be a little receptive to God, God would take that opportunity to change their life..

Besides, if you feel this way toward your brothers, imagine the Source of Love Himself. Wouldn't God feel for them more, seeing as He sees the true feelings of a human, and that He formed them and knew them before they were born?

It must hurt God a lot to see His children and the work of His hands drift from Him - to leave the Fountain of living water and make for themself broken cisterns unable to hold water..
    Lord have mercy :(