Confession

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I believe confession is not just for making  people feel guilty if at all but to make people feel worthy of God and of a spouse because perhaps people see
More trustworthy if they confess regularly it is used for spiritual growth so a person feels ashamed to do a sin because he feels rude to tell the priest he sinned again

Comments

• It depends whose side you're looking at it from.  You, as the sinner, should feel humiliated and ashamed about your sins.

My priest, on the other hand, always makes me feel better. He says along as you didn't commit murder, you're fine lol.

There's nothing wrong with telling a priest a sin more than one time. Confession isn't focused on the priest. It's on you. If you're more worried about telling the priest your sins than you are to tell God, then that's not right. The Priest is simply the one who gives you absolution and advice. You're not confessing TO the priest. You're confessing to God THROUGH the priest.
  • [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12834.msg150931#msg150931 date=1327276054]
    It depends whose side you're looking at it from.  You, as the sinner, should feel humiliated and ashamed about your sins.

My priest, on the other hand, always makes me feel better. He says along as you didn't commit murder, you're fine lol.

There's nothing wrong with telling a priest a sin more than one time. Confession isn't focused on the priest. It's on you. If you're more worried about telling the priest your sins than you are to tell God, then that's not right. The Priest is simply the one who gives you absolution and advice. You're not confessing TO the priest. You're confessing to God THROUGH the priest.

Well, murder and lying are the same severity in God's eyes, but i understand what your Father of Confession means.
  • yeah, my point was that you need to focus on your sins, and the priest is there to help you.
  • Yes but being in the presence of a priest who has dignity reminds you of how much dignity God has