A Plea To My People

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
To my dearest brothers and sisters,
                                                      It is about 2 am and I just finished my prayers and felt compelled to write this. I know that I am not the best example of an Orthodox Christian. I have often acted foolishly out of my frustration. I know that I know nothing, but I see our church under attack. While most see the physical threat posed to us in Egypt, they are unaware of the spiritual ones behind us. (namely liberalism, protestantism, and atheism) Physical death is nothing but a spiritual one costs us an eternity. My plea is that we shed the ideological shackles placed upon us by this world and stand up against those who attack our beloved Church. We cannot stand aside and allow these ideologies infiltrate our church. I know that I am nothing, but I see the seeds of these ideologies taking root in the hearts of our people. I hear these ideologies in the words and ideas of our people. Must we compromise our religion by adopting these to appease the world? Must we remain silent to avoid upsetting another? What price are we willing to pay to appease the world? I beg of you my brothers and sisters to put on the armor of Christ and defend the church in the same spirit as the great saints from this very church!

This life is for the next, not for the moment.

+Ioa+

Comments

• forgive me but there seems to be something fishy about this post of mine
  • however love does not behave rudely and the meek will inherit the earth.
    Before we say something we have to think if we were in this persons situation could we accept these words?
    Jesus never broke a bruised reed and smoking flax he never quenched
  • [quote author=coptic legend link=topic=12691.msg149095#msg149095 date=1323955422]
    however love does not behave rudely and the meek will inherit the earth.
    Before we say something we have to think if we were in this persons situation could we accept these words?
    Jesus never broke a bruised reed and smoking flax he never quenched

I apologize if you misunderstood what I was saying. I do not advocate violence, does it happen? Yes of course. I am stating that it is our duty to defend the church, not so much as physical, but spiritually. If it is verbally attacked by liberalism, atheism, or protestantism, we should speak up. I apologize if you thought I was advocating us going out and massacring people, that is not at all what I am saying.
  • I think the biggest thing hurting our church (which may ultimately lead to atheism) is indifference. Some don't see the point you're making, Ioannes, about how this life is not for the moment (which may be difficult to comprehend or "sink in" if you're not actively contemplating on it) and others simply don't care enough to make the commitment. This is what needs to be fixed first, yet I wouldn't know where to start if I were to try to take an active role in changing it.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12691.msg149105#msg149105 date=1323971390]
    I think the biggest thing hurting our church (which may ultimately lead to atheism) is indifference. Some don't see the point you're making, Ioannes, about how this life is not for the moment (which may be difficult to comprehend or "sink in" if you're not actively contemplating on it) and others simply don't care enough to make the commitment. This is what needs to be fixed first, yet I wouldn't know where to start if I were to try to take an active role in changing it.

I think we should refer back to the church fathers. I have found that most of the great saints of our church have had to fire their people up. Why are saints like St John Chrysostom and St Cyril loved so much? Because they were bold. They spoke directly, and people knew they were right. Because these saints had authority the people responded, where as I am nothing but a convert. My words carry no weight or authority in the church. I get a ton of criticism for how I say things. Sometimes I agree, I get too over zealous, but I think many times I am criticized because what I say has hit a nerve. Yet, I will continue to speak the truth to the best of my ability. I will be judged by God for my actions, but its better that I try than do nothing at all. I just plead with my people to look to their past, see these bold saints who defended the faith and return to that.

I hope that makes sense.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=12691.msg149106#msg149106 date=1323975397]
    [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=12691.msg149105#msg149105 date=1323971390]
    I think the biggest thing hurting our church (which may ultimately lead to atheism) is indifference. Some don't see the point you're making, Ioannes, about how this life is not for the moment (which may be difficult to comprehend or "sink in" if you're not actively contemplating on it) and others simply don't care enough to make the commitment. This is what needs to be fixed first, yet I wouldn't know where to start if I were to try to take an active role in changing it.

I think we should refer back to the church fathers. I have found that most of the great saints of our church have had to fire their people up. Why are saints like St John Chrysostom and St Cyril loved so much? Because they were bold. They spoke directly, and people knew they were right. Because these saints had authority the people responded, where as I am nothing but a convert. My words carry no weight or authority in the church. I get a ton of criticism for how I say things. Sometimes I agree, I get too over zealous, but I think many times I am criticized because what I say has hit a nerve. Yet, I will continue to speak the truth to the best of my ability. I will be judged by God for my actions, but its better that I try than do nothing at all. I just plead with my people to look to their past, see these bold saints who defended the faith and return to that.

I hope that makes sense.

You're forgetting that St. Cyril and St. John Chrysostom were bishops. It was their duty to defend the church against heretics.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with your approach. The Church Fathers were dealing with INTERNAL battles in the church - people who stood out with their own opinions (heresies, political divisions, etc.) that caused a division in the church's doctrines, dogmas, and liturgical life. The atheists you're talking about aren't members of the church gone into error, and so they don't stand in need of correction as the saints did with the heretics, who were also equally monks, priests, bishops, and patriarchs in the church.

All the efforts of those outside the church against Christianity as a whole or religion as a whole are just too silly to even bother about. They insist that the caricature they made of Christianity is what Christianity is, and attack that caricature, without delving into what Christians actually believe.

Believe me when I tell you this: these ideas and movements are like chaff that the wind drives away.
  • I believe that we need to worry about our own people and their faith before we begin reaching outside the Church attacking any other ideologies. We have ENOUGH trouble inside our Church to deal with already. If that trouble is caused by other ideologies than we can deal with it specifically to some certain extent but not in an over all attack against the cause of the problem. What is the point of going into a losing war?! Not only that we will lose arguments but we may also lose ourselves to that fight--straying from our true worship to God by fighting for Him, yet He doesn't want us to fight for HIM but He fights for us all the time.
  • @Biboboy, yes both saints did deal with heresies and problems within the church, however St John had the temple of artemis leveled, completely. I am not saying we do this I am just saying that they also dealt with many issues outside the church that affected the inside of the church.

St Cyril kicked the jews out of Egypt and outlawed paganism, some say he is responsible for the death of Hypatia as well.

I acknowledge that they are bishops and have a duty much higher than mine, which I spoke of in the original post, they have the authority in which to speak and generally the congregants do not question.

Both Biboboy and minatasgeel are missing my point. I will reiterate once again. I am not speaking of going out and physically attacking or verbally attacking anyone, in fact I used the word "defend" more than anything else. When you are physically attacked to you keep your hands down? No, you put them up and try to move out of the way. That is defense, do not confuse that with offense. I am merely saying that if someone slanders the church, we have every right to respond, and I am sure there are instances in which there is no purpose to respond. When I reply to attacks I am generally replying for the sake of others listening to the argument.

So please do not mistake what I am saying. Defense is not attacking.

1 Peter 3:14-16 (NKJV)
    14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.”
    15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
    16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
  • yes it is very important to defend the faith, who disagreed?

• [quote author=coptic legend link=topic=12691.msg149135#msg149135 date=1324018967]
    yes it is very important to defend the faith, who disagreed?

I dont think anyone disagreed. I think I did not properly explain myself.
  • Speaking of the wind driving the chaff away, here's what happened this morning:

World renowned Christopher Hitchens has died.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/16/showbiz/christopher-hitchens-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
  • [quote author=Biboboy link=topic=12691.msg149143#msg149143 date=1324035007]
    Speaking of the wind driving the chaff away, here's what happened this morning:

World renowned Christopher Hitchens has died.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/16/showbiz/christopher-hitchens-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Yes I seen this. I actually enjoyed Christopher Hitchens. The man was a very schooled debater and was very familiar with the writings of the church fathers. Of all the atheists his work was actually challenging because he was well researched. Needless to say, he is not an atheist anymore.