God said in his heart

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Who knew what God said in his heart to write it in the Bible? In Genesis 8:21, it says, And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done".

Comments

• What you are describing is an example of anthropomorphism, i.e. attributing human qualities/characteristics/behaviors, etc. to a deity or animal.

The book of Genesis is filled with anthropomorphism. You bring up the example of God saying something in His heart. Does God have a heart (I realize that sounds awkward)? Does God speak? Does He have a mouth to speak? How does God smell, does he have a nose? We can continue this indefinitely but the main point is without such description we might not understand anything about God. This is one of the reasons He was incarnate - to share in our nature and be ever so close and real to us. 

To answer your question - no one can know anything of God unless He reveals it. So although it says God said this in His heart He must have revealed it to Moses.

--I did not look at the Church Fathers for my explanation (which is my mistake because of laziness) but you should do some research on what they have to say. I am sure someone here can provide a link. The only thing I have found was from St. John Chrysostom but that did not get into this chapter but focused mainly on Creation. I did find comments by Matthew Henry, although I do not know much about him so I hesitate to post the link unless Fr. Peter approves.
  • [quote author=myvenmary link=topic=11606.msg139406#msg139406 date=1308004735]
    Who knew what God said in his heart to write it in the Bible? In Genesis 8:21, it says, And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done".

I think the simplest explanation is that God shares his plans and feelings with those who are close to Him; like He did when He told Abraham what He planned to do to Sodom:

"And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do; Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?" Genesis 18:17-18

He also elevates us from mere servants who do a duty not knowing why a master commands it to revealing the hidden plans of God:

"Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." John 15:15

In this particular example God made his feelings known to Noah and established a covenant with Him:

"And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.  And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth." Genesis 9:11-13

People like Noah were prophets and messengers of God who related His Will to us who would otherwise have no knowledge of these things.

Please pray for me,

LiD
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11606.msg139414#msg139414 date=1308012260]
    What you are describing is an example of anthropomorphism, i.e. attributing human qualities/characteristics/behaviors, etc. to a deity or animal.

So Unworthy are you saying when we talk about love we are attributing it to God? Of course not. Love is is not a human characteristic actually it comes from God...i.e. God is love. That goes for other things also...But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
    Galatians 5:22-23

To answer your question Knowledge that Glows. The Holy Bible was written by the Holy Spirit through the Apostles. The same thing with Abouna. When you sit with your Father of confession and he is praying the absolution who is forgiving you? Abouna or God? God of course. God is forgiving you through Abouna.

Pray for me
    I Believe
  • Thank you so much!!! *all*
  • [quote author=I Believe link=topic=11606.msg139440#msg139440 date=1308051534]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11606.msg139414#msg139414 date=1308012260]
    What you are describing is an example of anthropomorphism, i.e. attributing human qualities/characteristics/behaviors, etc. to a deity or animal.

So Unworthy are you saying when we talk about love we are attributing it to God? Of course not. Love is is not a human characteristic actually it comes from God...i.e. God is love. That goes for other things also...But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

To answer your question Knowledge that Glows. The Holy Bible was written by the Holy Spirit through the Apostles. The same thing with Abouna. When you sit with your Father of confession and he is praying the absolution who is forgiving you? Abouna or God? God of course. God is forgiving you through Abouna.

Pray for me
    I Believe

Who said anything about love? Did you even read the examples I wrote? I am talking about things like smelling, speaking, having organs and human features. . .I never said anything about virtues.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11606.msg139472#msg139472 date=1308083964]
    [quote author=I Believe link=topic=11606.msg139440#msg139440 date=1308051534]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11606.msg139414#msg139414 date=1308012260]

Pray for me
    I Believe

Who said anything about love? Did you even read the examples I wrote? I am talking about things like smelling, speaking, having organs and human features. . .I never said anything about virtues.

You should be. :)