Who is St. Verena...and what is her story?

Anyone know her complete story?

Comments

• I go to a church named after her and we have part of her relics!!  Sadly, I cannot find her story online but I will try to find a more substantial story than the paragraph I found.  Basically, she was a nurse who served in the army with St. Maruice and they were called on to go to Switzerland.  The emperor found out that St. Maurice and his legion were Christian and they were all martyred.  So, St. Verena stayed in Switzerland and ministered to the people there.  She taught them hygiene and how to take care of themselves.  The emperor found out about what she was doing and that she was converting people to Christianity and she was imprisoned for a while but she wasn't martyred.  Here is a doxology that we sing for her.  I can't write it in Coptic but I will provide the English translation for you.  Her feast is celebrated Tout 4th.

Blessed Saint Verena
    In Egypt was your root
    The Church commemorates you
    On the fourth day of Tout
    Fighting army from Thebes
    to Europe would report
    You volunteered to go
    to help and to support
    The emperor in fury
    Maximianos ordered
    They worshipped his idols
    or they would be murdered
    The soldiers all stood fast
    adhering to their faith
    None of them would obey
    martyrdom was their fate

Blessed Saint Verena
    Stranded in the faraway land
    She was guided to stay
    to serve in Switzerland
    Devoting all her life
    living in a small cave
    Through giving to the needy
    help and counsel she gave
    People flocked to see her
    she taught them health and care
    For their bodies and their souls
    her wisdom, she did share
    Miracles she did perform
    the sick, their health regained
    Casting out many demons
    humble life she retained

Blessed Saint Verena
    purity and chastity
    You were symbol of true
    faith in Christianity
    And when your time had come
    leaving all those you served
    Heaven opened its gates
    Come O faithful you heard
    Throughout the Christian world
    churches in many nations
    Were built after your name
    with great admiration
    Sixteen centuries later
    part of you to Egypt came
    Your person we venerate
    praising your blessed name

The meaning of your name
    is on the lips of the believers
    All of them ask the God
    of Saint Verena, to help us all.
  • Basically similar to Godlovesme summary with one or two lines more.I took it from a church website named after her and St Maurice. You can read about the  Saints that joined the Theban legion in this link-- Saint Maurice and the Theban Legion.

The Link also says there is no entry in the Coptic Synxarion for these saints, neither is there any Coptic Church concecrated in their names (But there are few now).That is partly the reason why there isn't much info about their lives.

ST. Verena
    Saint Verena was brought up in the Theban region (modern day Luxor in Upper Egypt) in a noble Christian family, who handed her over to Bishop Sherimon, Bishop of Beni Suef, who in turn taught her and baptized her.

Saint Verena joined the Theban legion in its mission to Rhaetia (modern day Switzerland) and was a relative of Saint Victor of the Theban legion. The Soldiers' relatives were allowed to accompany themin order to look after them and take care of their wounds.
    When Saint Maurice, Saint Victor and the other members of the Theban legion were martyred, Saint Verena led a lonely and hermit life. First, she settled in a place called Solothurn, but later moved into a cave near present day Zurich. She used to fast and pray continuously. Moreover, God performed several miracles through her. She was particularly concerned over young girls and used to look after them spiritually and physically, due to her expertise as a nurse. Saint Verena was also interested in serving the poor and used to offer them food. Moreover, she enjoyed serving the sick, especially those suffering from leprosy. She used to wash their wounds and put ointments on them, not fearing infection.  As a result of her fame, the ruler arrested her and sent her to jail, where Saint Maurice appeared to her to console and strengthen her. After her release from jail, she moved into several regions, and God worked several miracles through her prayers.

Due to her, many converted to Christianity. At the time of departure of Saint Verena from our world, the Most Holy Virgin Mary appeared to her to console and strengthen her.
    Saint Verena of the Theban legion departed on the 4th day of the Coptic month Thout (September 14).