Why do we kiss Abona's hand?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I was always wondering about this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hello DC,

But don't we touch the Lord's body when we partake of It?

Ebnyasoo3
  • I was taught the same thing. You have to also remember that it's a blessing because our own hands cannot touch Christ's body.
  • It is because this is the traditional and historic manner in which all peoples expressed respect towards a senior. In Greek and then in Roman times, and in the Empire, the one who was junior greeted the senior by kissing his hand. Soldiers would kiss the hand of their generals.

The emperor, being so distant from ordinary people, would have his hand kissed by the nobles, but the inferior folk would kiss their own hand. This custom has been found throughout the world. In some places in America the inferior folk touch the ground and then kiss their hand in the presence of their superiors and to show respect.

In the early Church bishops would give their hands to be kissed by their priests. It being a normal social custom.

In the 19th century in England it began to fall from favour. Indeed now we imagine only that a man might kiss the hand of a woman he loved in old films. Perhaps the final use might be in a person kissing the hand of the Monarch.

So it is part of the social language of the past, and almost a universal practice among civilised peoples. It remains a living custom in the Church where it is not necessary to choose between it being a blessing and a mark of respect, since it is both. I do not believe it is because the priest handles the Holy Mysteries since all faithful receive Our Lord Jesus Christ into union with themselves, a greater and more transforming grace and gift than holding the elements in the hand. Indeed we know that in the earlier centuries the faithful also received the Holy Mysteries into their own hands, therefore they could not easily be held to venerate the hand of the priest who handled the same Awesome and Divine Gifts as they did.
  • so it is just a tradition ?

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=11574.msg139234#msg139234 date=1307641916]
    so it is just a tradition ?

+mahraeel+
    Well, it probably is. But our church is knoun for perserving things.  8)
  • Well everything humans do is a tradition. What matters is that it is a meaningful and valuable tradition, especially in an age when there is little respect for authority, age and seniority.
  • Thank you very much Father. I understand now.

God bless your service.
  • I hate when I go to kiss the hand of an Abouna and they pull it away quickly. When I was very new in the church one guy did that and I did not talk to him or even say bye. I was not sure why he did it but it made me feel stupid, so I said bye to everyone and completely ignored him lol. I am not sure if that was right or not but I just don't get that you give me your hand to kiss than you pull it away from me. Kissing in general is a very weird thing for me still, so when I do it, it is because I really respect that person and pushed myself out of my comfort zone to do it, I don't want to be snubbed.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=11574.msg139845#msg139845 date=1308406908]
    I hate when I go to kiss the hand of an Abouna and they pull it away quickly. When I was very new in the church one guy did that and I did not talk to him or even say bye. I was not sure why he did it but it made me feel stupid, so I said bye to everyone and completely ignored him lol. I am not sure if that was right or not but I just don't get that you give me your hand to kiss than you pull it away from me. Kissing in general is a very weird thing for me still, so when I do it, it is because I really respect that person and pushed myself out of my comfort zone to do it, I don't want to be snubbed.

It's not exactly like that dude. The priest extends his hand not because he wants to be glorified, but because it's the norm for people to greet him by kissing his hand - people expect the priest to extend his hand so that they can greet him, and if he weren't to do that then he would make people uncomfortable (by breaking social etiquette).

He then pulls away when people come to kiss his hand because he is not seeking self-glory - it is supposed to be an act of humility. People would in good faith go to kiss his hand because he is the elder, and he would retract his hand in good faith because he does not feel that he is worthy of such honour.
  • As a priest I understand that logic, but the priest is there to be a source of blessing, and so he must deal with any temptation to pride later, and in quiet with God and his own FOC, rather than denying the faithful a means of expressing their own humility, respect, gratitude and desire to be blessed.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11574.msg139228#msg139228 date=1307638836]
    It is because this is the traditional and historic manner in which all peoples expressed respect towards a senior. In Greek and then in Roman times, and in the Empire, the one who was junior greeted the senior by kissing his hand. Soldiers would kiss the hand of their generals.

The emperor, being so distant from ordinary people, would have his hand kissed by the nobles, but the inferior folk would kiss their own hand. This custom has been found throughout the world. In some places in America the inferior folk touch the ground and then kiss their hand in the presence of their superiors and to show respect.

In the early Church bishops would give their hands to be kissed by their priests. It being a normal social custom.

In the 19th century in England it began to fall from favour. Indeed now we imagine only that a man might kiss the hand of a woman he loved in old films. Perhaps the final use might be in a person kissing the hand of the Monarch.

So it is part of the social language of the past, and almost a universal practice among civilised peoples. It remains a living custom in the Church where it is not necessary to choose between it being a blessing and a mark of respect, since it is both. I do not believe it is because the priest handles the Holy Mysteries since all faithful receive Our Lord Jesus Christ into union with themselves, a greater and more transforming grace and gift than holding the elements in the hand. Indeed we know that in the earlier centuries the faithful also received the Holy Mysteries into their own hands, therefore they could not easily be held to venerate the hand of the priest who handled the same Awesome and Divine Gifts as they did.

Excellent answer Father. I applaud your clear indication of what is simply tradition and the uncomplicated method by which you explained it.