Cymbals

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi all,

I was told that before the cymbals entered in the church, the used to be something
called a "naous" As in the "arba7 el naous". Firstly, who does it look.
Why is it gone? Can we bring it back in the church?
I heard it is like a plate on a stick and another stick that has a wheel that makes the sound
when you roll it back and forth.
God bless, Pray for me,

Cyril

Comments

• the nakous is just the arabic word for cymbals or bells. It refers to the same instrument we still use today

• [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=10930.msg132313#msg132313 date=1299547292]
    the nakous is just the arabic word for cymbals or bells. It refers to the same instrument we still use today

Thats correct. Nakhous refers to cymbals however, throughout the history of the church, different instruments were in use including bells. So it is possible that in the early church bells were used during worship. Other percussion instruments have been mentioned to be in use in the early church as well.
  • I was told be a really really reliable source that the "nakous"
    is the old instrument used in the church during the arba7 el nakous.
    God bless, Pray for me,

Cyril
  • Al-naqous=al-naous does mean cymbals. we now call it "daff." many old deacons (age-wise) would still call a daff a nakous. arba' alnakous just means= verses of cymbals.
  • I was told that there is a video where a monk is playing the naqous and another
    the cymbals, and another the triangle.
    Does anyone know if what I am saying makes sense?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10930.msg132437#msg132437 date=1299617875]
    I was told that there is a video where a monk is playing the naqous and another
    the cymbals, and another the triangle.
    Does anyone know if what I am saying makes sense?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

it doesn't make sense.