Lenten Rites

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi all,

I was wondering about the rites of the church during lent.
Firstly, I was wondering, is there any rite that changes during lent?
Like not playing the cymbals in the weekdays.
Why? Isn't fasting a joyful thing according to the church?
I know that Meghalo is joyful anwe say it the first Monday of the fast
to symbolise the church is joyful entering the fast- getting a blessing.
Why would we be not happy when the church itself is happy?
Anyways, is there any other "rite" that changes during Lent?
God bless, Pray for me,

Cyril

Comments

• The cymbals aren't played simply because the tunes don't match something that would need cymbals. The cymbals are not meant to represent joy, they are ONLY for keeping the beat. Period.

The rites of weekday liturgies are as follows:
    Liturgy is held in the afternoon, fasting is to be observed all day(ie not eating or drinking). During matins, the verses of the cymbals are not prayed, instead the known kyrie eleison is said followed by Ethrenhos erok. The doxologies are said in the weekday tune. After the doxologies the curtain to the sanctuary is closed and prophecies of the day are read. After the prophecies are read, the litanies and prostrations (metanioas) are done. After those have been completed the known kyrie eleison is said followed by the litany of the Gospel and matins ends as usual.

All 12 hours from the Agpeya are prayed. Alleluia Eiei ekhoun is said after procession of the Lamb. Sotis and Nefsenti are said immediately after the thanksgiving prayer, prostrations are done once again and kyrie eleison is said once again in its known tune. After the absolution entho te tishori is said then followed by tenousht, the hitens are NOT said. Share efnouti before acts. Gospels response for weekdays. Liturgy of st cyril is usually reserved for Lent. Psalm 150 for weekdays and pimairomi is said. Then the concluding canon Somatos is said.

• How about Sunday?
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132307#msg132307 date=1299545594]

i just wanted to comment on this; fasts in general, specially lent, are not considered joyful. the new southern diocese deacon's service book goes as far calling the tune "sorrowful" (they did have the word in quotes because it's more of an opinion). you can feel the hunger and the struggle we are practicing in the fast by listening to the hymns and even better, by chanting them.
  • What is maymar?
    What is mohayar?
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132435#msg132435 date=1299617768]
    What is maymar?

it's a special service with a special reading that used to be prayed a loooong time ago.

What is mohayar?

mohayyar is a tune. you know how there are hymns that have short tune and a fast tune. most of the time there is another tune between short and fast (time-wise) that is called mohayyar. in the link he refers to "apen-shois" that is said after mighalo.
  • So we don't pray the maymar?
    So it would be :
    Slow, Mohayyar, Fast?
    What is the english translation for mohayyar?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132448#msg132448 date=1299618841]

no translation.
  • I think the "sorrowful" was not the best use of words.  It would have been better to say a "penitent" tone.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10929.msg132452#msg132452 date=1299619316]
    I think the "sorrowful" was not the best use of words.  It would have been better to say a "penitent" tone.

yeah. i really don't like it when they did that. but i guess they try as much as possible to relay their view to the people.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10929.msg132449#msg132449 date=1299619003]
    [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132448#msg132448 date=1299618841]

no translation.

Mohayyar is the Arabic equivalent of Paralex in Coptic.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10929.msg132323#msg132323 date=1299550414]
    The cymbals aren't played simply because the tunes don't match something that would need cymbals. The cymbals are not meant to represent joy, they are ONLY for keeping the beat. Period.
    I had the blessing of meeting with bishop David a few days ago and me and my friend asked him
    "Why don't we play the deaf during the Great Lent" His reponse was exactly this
    "We don't play the deaf because the deaf is joyfull/happy and during the fast, we tend to be more ascetic."
    [hr]
    That answered my question but on the way in with anba David, we sang Ek-esmaroot. We then did a procession
    because it was the feast of Pope Kyrillos and sang a bunch of joyfull/happy hymns ekesmarout, agios ictin, rashi and a whole
    bunch of madeh. The way we prayed the asheya was as follows
    The entire prayer of thanksgiving (not of to "all the power of the enemy"), to the end (Amen)
    the closed the veil and did a procession. That was it for the processions, the a choir sang, sermons...
    Are these to thing contradiction or is it just my thinking. Does a Bishop's presence break the Lenten rites?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132719#msg132719 date=1299852213]
    That answered my question but on the way in with anba David, we sang Ek-esmaroot. We then did a procession
    because it was the feast of Pope Kyrillos and sang a bunch of joyfull/happy hymns ekesmarout, agios ictin, rashi and a whole
    bunch of madeh. The way we prayed the asheya was as follows
    The entire prayer of thanksgiving (not of to "all the power of the enemy"), to the end (Amen)
    the closed the veil and did a procession. That was it for the processions, the a choir sang, sermons...
    Are these to thing contradiction or is it just my thinking. Does a Bishop's presence break the Lenten rites?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

he didn't break the lent rites. he didn't pray a "vespers raising of incense" rather he just prayed "the prayer of thanksgiving" which sayedna always does whenever he comes in a church to do anything.
  • So it is right? Even to say Ek-esmarout and madeh and venerations...?
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132727#msg132727 date=1299856430]
    So it is right? Even to say Ek-esmarout and madeh and venerations...?

Vespers is a separate service that is not done in lent.
    Ekesmaroot as a hymn and the tamgeed as a separate service can be done anytime of the (except holy week I think...only limitation I can think of rit now)
    Now, generally, any meeting in a church should begin with the prayer of thanksgiving. Sayedna takes it a little further to open the curtain but that is still fine since there is no raising of incense.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10929.msg132333#msg132333 date=1299552716]
    [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10929.msg132307#msg132307 date=1299545594]

i just wanted to comment on this; fasts in general, specially lent, are not considered joyful. the new southern diocese deacon's service book goes as far calling the tune "sorrowful" (they did have the word in quotes because it's more of an opinion). you can feel the hunger and the struggle we are practicing in the fast by listening to the hymns and even better, by chanting them.

Wait but it seems like Lent and Jonah are the only depressing ones. I feel like advent is more festive than our feasts in some cases and the rest are annual. The mood is the same and the only aspect that changes is really just we are fasting.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10929.msg132755#msg132755 date=1299878724]
    Wait but it seems like Lent and Jonah are the only depressing ones. I feel like advent is more festive than our feasts in some cases and the rest are annual. The mood is the same and the only aspect that changes is really just we are fasting.

and?
  • Oh sorry...I was commenting on your comment:
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10929.msg132333#msg132333 date=1299552716]
    i just wanted to comment on this; fasts in general, specially lent, are not considered joyful.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10929.msg132780#msg132780 date=1299904626]
    Oh sorry...I was commenting on your comment:
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10929.msg132333#msg132333 date=1299552716]
    i just wanted to comment on this; fasts in general, specially lent, are not considered joyful.

advent is a little different. it's the month of praise in which we wait for the Incarnation of our Lord. praises are joyful to welcome God in the world. That is the beginning of the Economy. beginning of God's mercy on earth. now we have to do our part; have mercy. live with Christ, IN HIM, that we may receive His salvation at the end of this journey.
  • Every rite in the Church has a focus and a role. Accordingly, every rite has a musical tone that is suitable for the occasion.

For example, the rites of the Lent season is to bring back our human nature to the Lord through focusing on repentance and what the Lord did for us through His fasting. All the mada7eh and the hymns revolve around that purpose. In addition, the tone of the tamageed does not suit the Lenten melody.

So, the question is: is it suitable to focus on praising a saint and leave our repentance.?
  • Very deep!
    Cyril