The Use of Patristic Commentaries on the Scriptures

edited February 2011 in Personal Issues
Hi guys!

I've just finished reading the preface to the commentary on the Gospel of St. John written by St. John Chrysostom, and I am finding it wonderful in every way. The style of writing and depth to which the saint writes concerning the Gospel and St. John the Beloved, the author, are really and truly enlightening: it is full of genuine wisdom  :D

This is my first time reading a patristic commentary on one of the Gospels, and so I am just posting this thread for a bit of advice, both on this specific work, and on the general usage of Orthodox patristic commentaries on Books of the Holy Bible. I'd also like to make it clear that I am not studying Patristics or Theology in incredible depth, nor do I have vast amounts of time to do so; I am merely a teenager seeking to develop my understanding of the words of God, reading when I can.

What are your opinions of using patristic commentaries?

In your experiences, what is the best way to learn and benefit from such commentaries?

Do you recommend, for example, taking notes? Perhaps reading the commentary of another Orthodox Father on the same verse/passage, and comparing the viewpoints?

What is the importance/benefit of using Patrisic texts?

Which Orthodox Fathers' commentaries appeal most to you? What is it that makes them appeal to you: is it writing style, or the way they interpret, etc ?

What were your first experiences when you began to read Patristic texts? Did you find them useful/difficult/beneficial to your understanding?

Were they useful to you in your spiritual life? In what way were they so?

I know there are a lot of questions, so please select any you wish to answer.

The purpose of this thread is for those with experience in studying Patristic commentaries to share nuggets of wisdom and advice to those who are less experienced, for everyone to share their thoughts on how such texts should be used most appropriately, and for the edification of all.

Please participate if you feel so inclined! It would be really nice to get some friendly and stimulating discussions going, in a spirit of love and respect  :D

Many thanks, hoping to hear your views!  ;D

Joe

Comments

• I don't have a specific opinion about this work, I have not had the pleasure of reading it. I do think though, that patristic commentaries are an important aspect to readings. It's always best to follow the fathers and how they interpret scripture than our own understandings. Also realize, at times there maybe disagreements on interpretations(not common but happens), doesn't mean one is necessarily wrong (could be) but simply a different perspective or different light on the subject matter.

I think the best way to learn from these commentaries is the same way you learn from anything, by studying, taking notes, etc. This can be time consuming I understand, but in my opinion, that is the best way to approach patristics and developing a more theological standpoint. Beware, in depth theology and dogma does not always translate into better spirituality. What you learn you must apply, which I am sure you will.

I do think reading patristic writings on a specific book you are already reading, such as St John Chrysostoms on the Gospel of John is perfect. The importance to patristics is as mentioned previously, it allows us to see how the fathers(early Church) taught and doesn't allow us to lean on our own understanding which can be faulty.

My personal favorite is St Isaac the Syrian. I haven't read any specific commentaries but I find his contemplations on ascetic life and spirituality in general very beneficial.

At first for sure it can be very difficult and a lot to swallow but just like anything, with time and growth you begin to love it.

In my opinion, I think patristics and the depth and knowledge can become a two edged sword. If you take what they are explaining and try to apply the aspects of the Gospel to your life its for sure extremely beneficial. However, if you simply study it just like you study for other classes, not only does it have no real relevance except information that is stored in your brain, but can be a source of condemnation if you do not use that knowledge to your benefit and the benefit of others. Just remember what the focus of these patristic writings is to you, is it simply for educational benefit or both educational and spiritual? Each has different impacts and outcomes. I am not saying this as a deterrent or an excuse for ignorance, far be it from that, I believe its very important to have much more knowledge patristic writings/readings in our daily lives, but it must be done with care and guidance from a spiritual father who can explain any confusion you may have on the subjects being studied.

Hope this helped a little bit. 

My two cents on the general topic.
  • Thanks for the reply John (btw, where have you been, ain't seen you in a while man) :D

[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10781.msg131231#msg131231 date=1298253301]
    I don't have a specific opinion about this work, I have not had the pleasure of reading it. I do think though, that patristic commentaries are an important aspect to readings. It's always best to follow the fathers and how they interpret scripture than our own understandings. Also realize, at times there maybe disagreements on interpretations(not common but happens), doesn't mean one is necessarily wrong (could be) but simply a different perspective or different light on the subject matter.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on this. I think the diversity that you see between the father's interpretations is a good thing usually - it may be that the Holy Spirit is relaying several messages or meanings from the same verse simulataneously.

I think the best way to learn from these commentaries is the same way you learn from anything, by studying, taking notes, etc. This can be time consuming I understand, but in my opinion, that is the best way to approach patristics and developing a more theological standpoint. Beware, in depth theology and dogma does not always translate into better spirituality. What you learn you must apply, which I am sure you will.

I think last point especially is pertinent, that we have to apply what we learn to our lives. I started reading the commentary so that I would benefit spiritually, but also because I feel that I should be spending more time on spiritual activities in my life generally. Frequently I may pick up the Holy Bible and read a passage, and although I may feel that I have gained something, I may not have. My FOC told me that every time one should read the Holy Bible, one should pick up on God's message for them (and then apply it practically) - I imagine that the idea of reading one of the father's commentaries is to perhaps facilitate this process of understanding God's message for us.

Of course, I suppose that the use of a Patristic commentary is not strictly necessary for God's unique message to reach us: through the guidance of the Holy Spirit it can be transmitted (for want of a better word) directly, straight from the Holy Bible.

What do you think regarding this? Can God's unique message for us in a certain situation reach us through Patristic commentaries?

I do think reading patristic writings on a specific book you are already reading, such as St John Chrysostoms on the Gospel of John is perfect. The importance to patristics is as mentioned previously, it allows us to see how the fathers(early Church) taught and doesn't allow us to lean on our own understanding which can be faulty.

My personal favorite is St Isaac the Syrian. I haven't read any specific commentaries but I find his contemplations on ascetic life and spirituality in general very beneficial.

Yeah, he was a great favourite of Pope Cyril VI I believe. His contemplations are amazing.

At first for sure it can be very difficult and a lot to swallow but just like anything, with time and growth you begin to love it.

So far it seems to be going well thank God! The clarity that they offer regarding what were previously abstruse verses is really helpful.

In my opinion, I think patristics and the depth and knowledge can become a two edged sword. If you take what they are explaining and try to apply the aspects of the Gospel to your life its for sure extremely beneficial. However, if you simply study it just like you study for other classes, not only does it have no real relevance except information that is stored in your brain, but can be a source of condemnation if you do not use that knowledge to your benefit and the benefit of others. Just remember what the focus of these patristic writings is to you, is it simply for educational benefit or both educational and spiritual? Each has different impacts and outcomes. I am not saying this as a deterrent or an excuse for ignorance, far be it from that, I believe its very important to have much more knowledge patristic writings/readings in our daily lives, but it must be done with care and guidance from a spiritual father who can explain any confusion you may have on the subjects being studied.

I agree with everything you've said here, very well said. Fantastically well put man  :)
  • It has been a while haha, sorry man, I've been crazy busy with school, kinda cut myself off from the world lol. Pray for me man!
    [quote author=JG link=topic=10781.msg131247#msg131247 date=1298290176]
    What do you think regarding this? Can God's unique message for us in a certain situation reach us through Patristic commentaries?

I think it can, it doesn't have to be though. I think for sure any message for us is in the Bible but God can reach us by any means, not just through patristic writings. He can reach us through a sermon we are listening to, a friend we speak with or any other means necessary. The key is we must be ready to accept it from any source God chooses to relay it through. The message God is relaying to us can be blatantly in front of our face through the patristic writings or any other means and we can be oblivious to them. I like to think of the patristic writings(at least commentaries on the Bible) as clarification of the message, or "translation" if you will. God is speaking to us through scripture but we might not necessarily "understand" it so we turn to a professional who does and they translate that message into something we can understand.

God Bless
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10781.msg131278#msg131278 date=1298307556]
    It has been a while haha, sorry man, I've been crazy busy with school, kinda cut myself off from the world lol. Pray for me man!

God be with you man, remember me in your prayers too!

I like to think of the patristic writings(at least commentaries on the Bible) as clarification of the message, or "translation" if you will. God is speaking to us through scripture but we might not necessarily "understand" it so we turn to a professional who does and they translate that message into something we can understand.

But does it not then lose some of it's uniqueness or individuality? If everyone is receiving the same message by reading the same fathers, do they still receive the that personalised message? Or has it gone from being a highly unique message to a "mass-produced" one (in a manner of speaking)?

I suppose it has partly to do with different interpretations of what the fathers wrote; sometimes a slightly ambiguous quote (or one that lacks total clarity) could be taken differently by different people.

I think it also has to do with the Holy Spirit, helping us pick up on the message that He wants us to take home.

PFM
  • Well isn't the Bible a mass produced message? Yet it affects each of us on a personal level? I would say the same thing holds true for anything you pick up. Think back to any English course you've taken, when the whole class read the same exact book. Didn't each person come away with something slightly different even if there is a consensus about certain content? Same thing holds true in patristic writings. For example, if one of the fathers is writing about lying, one person who does not necessarily struggle with this, will find it useful to keep him from falling while another will take the words to heart and could return from his/her ways and make an effort to stop lying. I think you hit the nail right on the head that its the Holy Spirit Who is opening our minds to understand how a certain passage should be taken for our own personal edification.
  • Nicely put man, you've explained it really well!

Thanks for your help  :D