Laptop

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey guys,
I know that this is too random but anyways...
I need a brand new laptop, that is durable.
The laptop that I am writing this post from is completly screwed up.
Well, you know the screen's frame... it broken. So all you would see is
a screen taped to a cardboard box with a random keyboard hanging from it.
I need a new durable laptop ASAP.
Any suggestion?
My price range anything until around 700$ CDN not USD
Thanks for your help anyways,
Cyril

Comments

• save another couple hundred and get the macbook. its really durable. I can't believe its survived with me. I just got one in september, I was a hp person before that. its $999 CND, but theres a $100 student discount. the service they give you is also awesome.
  • I can't wait anymore.
    I need one like in the next two weeks.
    All I have is around 700$CDN. I want a mac but it is soo
    much and I really doubt it would last for 3 months with me.
    Thank you nayways. Anybody else got a suggestion?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • Cyril, $700 CAD is about $698.944 USD.  I would recommend Dell Vostro for small business because they're very durable and designed for prolonged use.  They're starting at $349 for the Celeron but you should get the Core 2 Duo. Here's the link: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-1014/fs
  • [quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10588.msg128928#msg128928 date=1296422874]
    Cyril, $700 CAD is about $698.944 USD.  I would recommend Dell Vostro for small business because they're very durable designed for prolonged use.  They're starting $349 for the Celeron but you should get the Core 2 Duo. Here's the link: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-1014/fs

Yeah that is a good idea. I second it.
  • I've always used Dell's, both personally and when I was buying for my company.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128930#msg128930 date=1296423065]
    I've always used Dell's, both personally and when I was buying for my company.

Father Peter

i always say that dell is the best cheapest laptops out there. my first laptop was a dell.

if you want something better but not to expensive, hp is really good. also, it all depends on the specs of the laptop.
  • Yes, you need to decide what spec is important and then compare models and read reviews to see what build quality etc is like.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10588.msg128915#msg128915 date=1296419115]
    save another couple hundred and get the macbook. its really durable. I can't believe its survived with me. I just got one in september, I was a hp person before that. its $999 CND, but theres a $100 student discount. the service they give you is also awesome.

I have the MacBook Pro...it's great...I love it...very durable and faster than hp and dell :)
  • Depends on the HP or Dell you are comparing it to.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10588.msg128938#msg128938 date=1296424502]
    [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10588.msg128915#msg128915 date=1296419115]
    save another couple hundred and get the macbook. its really durable. I can't believe its survived with me. I just got one in september, I was a hp person before that. its $999 CND, but theres a $100 student discount. the service they give you is also awesome.

I have the MacBook Pro...it's great...I love it...very durable and faster than hp and dell :)

macs are in another realm by themselves......expensive, closed system, a little harder to use. so i don't recommend it to beginners. don't get me wrong, i love them and i do say that my next laptop will be a mac.....but just wouldn't recommend it to much.....even though right now i am learning on Unix (or unix-like) operating systems.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128941#msg128941 date=1296424884]
    Depends on the HP or Dell you are comparing it to.

True...but I hated Dell...when I had it, that was my first laptop...the Dell computer I had and the hp one both got viruses, I've had my MacBook Pro for well over half a year and it works just the same...
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10588.msg128943#msg128943 date=1296424971]
    [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10588.msg128938#msg128938 date=1296424502]
    [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10588.msg128915#msg128915 date=1296419115]

macs are in another realm by themselves......expensive, closed system, a little harder to use. so i don't recommend it to beginners. don't get me wrong, i love them and i do say that my next laptop will be a mac.....but just wouldn't recommend it to much.....even though right now i am learning on Unix (or unix-like) operating systems.

I agree...they're a bit pricey but I think they are worth their price...btw, if you wanna buy a mac, wait for the summer, they usually have a deal where they give it to students for $100 off and they also gave me a free printer and a free 8GB iPod Touch!
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10588.msg128944#msg128944 date=1296425000]
    [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128941#msg128941 date=1296424884]

True...but I hated Dell...when I had it, that was my first laptop...the Dell computer I had and the hp one both got viruses, I've had my MacBook Pro for well over half a year and it works just the same...

i am sorry, but it's always about what you do on a pc that might bring you viruses (like "real" viruses and not simple spyware). the only reason macs are so secure because it's a closed system; simply harder to hack or create hack for.
  • If your Dell got a virus then that was your fault for not protecting it.

I am typing on a Dell now and run a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware software.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10588.msg128946#msg128946 date=1296425214]
    [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10588.msg128944#msg128944 date=1296425000]
    [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128941#msg128941 date=1296424884]

i am sorry, but it's always about what you do on a pc that might bring you viruses (like "real" viruses and not simple spyware). the only reason macs are so secure because it's a closed system; simply harder to hack or create hack for.

Well...all I did was research for classes, and tasbeha.org lol...it had a protective software on it...idk maybe I did something wrong...but I will never get another Dell or hp...I'm sticking with the mac...
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10588.msg128945#msg128945 date=1296425142]
    I agree...they're a bit pricey but I think they are worth their price...btw, if you wanna buy a mac, wait for the summer, they usually have a deal where they give it to students for $100 off and they also gave me a free printer and a free 8GB iPod Touch!

i know.... :) i bought a couple for people before using my college email.
  • I used to hear that all the time when I ran IT for my last company. 'All I was doing was researching on tasbeha.org', they would say.

LOL!

I do believe you. There are a lot of compromised sites out there, not just bad ones.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128954#msg128954 date=1296425708]
    I used to hear that all the time when I ran IT for my last company. 'All I was doing was researching on tasbeha.org', they would say.

LOL!

I do believe you. There are a lot of compromised sites out there, not just bad ones.

Father Peter

and i know that for sure to the point that i can't even count the number of computers that i had to reformat because of spyware.
  • As of now, I'm a pc person. I have a bias toward HP... it's always worked great for me! I have gotten 2 laptops from them and they are my top choice in terms of laptop PC's.

With any computer really, it's not so much how expensive and what kind as much as taking care of it. I mean, that stuff does matter, but what matters more is that you have antivirus, don't go on sites that tend to carry viruses, and be cautious in general.

I know careless people who have ruined laptops and then there are people like me who don't let anyone touch their laptop and it remains in pristine condition and mental health ;).
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128947#msg128947 date=1296425287]
    If your Dell got a virus then that was your fault for not protecting it.

I am typing on a Dell now and run a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware software.

Completely agree!  Doesn't matter which computer you use, you'll be vulnerable to viruses if you don't have a firewall/anti-virus. Norton internet security is the best. I've been using Norton since '99.
  • [quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10588.msg128957#msg128957 date=1296426176]
    [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128947#msg128947 date=1296425287]

Completely agree!  Doesn't matter which computer you use, you'll be vulnerable to viruses if you don't have a firewall/anti-virus. Norton internet security is the best. I've been using Norton since '99.

Same here! I've been using Norton ever since I got my first laptop and that, coupled with sense and cautiousness, is why I have NEVER gotten a virus :).
  • A simple wrong click on google can give u a virus. Even safe users can't always manage anymore.
  • I have had a very bad history with Dell computers. 

This past fall I began graduate school and needed a new laptop as my old one was not up to par.  I was able to buy a Toshiba for about $400 (US) and it is a great laptop.
  • Not if you are properly protected. And there are plugins that protect against browsing to sites with malware. Rather like the Christian life, when I am careful and consistent I am not likely to be infected.
  • [quote author=+Pistavros+ link=topic=10588.msg128957#msg128957 date=1296426176]
    [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10588.msg128947#msg128947 date=1296425287]

Norton is great, but it costs money... avast! free antivirus... thats the good stuff ;)
  • PopeKyrillos, I love you avatar lol
  • I've had an HP for 2 years and it overheated like crazy... However, I just got another one on black friday (obviously because it was on sale for $550 USD!!!) It's perfect; no overheating, no lagging, and I got avast free antivirus for it. (it's an i5 with 4GB Ram in case you're wondering)
  • [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10588.msg128992#msg128992 date=1296438019]
    I've had an HP for 2 years and it overheated like crazy... However, I just got another one on black friday (obviously because it was on sale for $550 USD!!!) It's perfect; no overheating, no lagging, and I got avast free antivirus for it. (it's an i5 with 4GB Ram in case you're wondering)

Plus the new high-end hp's are made of metal, not plastic.
  • [quote author=AikotiEnsok link=topic=10588.msg129032#msg129032 date=1296441609]
    [quote author=rafikwa link=topic=10588.msg128992#msg128992 date=1296438019]
    I've had an HP for 2 years and it overheated like crazy... However, I just got another one on black friday (obviously because it was on sale for $550 USD!!!) It's perfect; no overheating, no lagging, and I got avast free antivirus for it. (it's an i5 with 4GB Ram in case you're wondering)

Plus the new high-end hp's are made of metal, not plastic.

yeap.... that's what I have!!! all metal from the outside with 0 scratches so far