Wedding hymns

Hello everyone,

Recently I attended a wedding on a Sunday and noticed the deacons chanting "ti-shori." I was wondering if this is correct or not because I thought "tai-shori" is chanted on Saturdays and Sundays no matter what the service is. Thanks and God Bless.

Comments

• According to this website, http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/235 the rites are to say ti-shori.
    I disagree with that though, but I guys that as matrimony has it's own rites, it would break the
    Saturday and Sunday tites.
    Please don't take what I am saying as a reference because I am not so sure.
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril
  • I have fought about those many times and i'll repeat myself again.

Many think that it goes with the day--meaning that since it's on a sunday you say tai shory and on other days you say tee shory....that is wrong. because normally those hymn depend on if the day is a fasting day or not. now there exists a rule in our Church: there is NO wedding ceremonies during fasting days. so if you follow the speculation above, you'll never get to say tee shory.

NOW, let me explain why it's always tee shory and never tai shory (atleast not anymore). originally there are 2 rites (2 separate and different services) both were even done on differnt days: " 'aqd al-emlak" and "al-ekleel".....one of them had tai shory, and the other tee shory. without going into much details (cuz i can't type much rit now), 'aqd al-emlak was merged to be in one service "al-ekleel"=The Crowning Ceremony. Tee shory was the one chosen to be said in the new merged service. And that's what HICS records.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10535.msg128032#msg128032 date=1295932500]
    I have fought about those many times and i'll repeat myself again.

Many think that it goes with the day--meaning that since it's on a sunday you say tai shory and on other days you say tee shory....that is wrong. because normally those hymn depend on if the day is a fasting day or not. now there exists a rule in our Church: there is NO wedding ceremonies during fasting days. so if you follow the speculation above, you'll never get to say tee shory.

NOW, let me explain why it's always tee shory and never tai shory (atleast not anymore). originally there are 2 rites (2 separate and different services) both were even done on differnt days: " 'aqd al-emlak" and "al-ekleel".....one of them had tai shory, and the other tee shory. without going into much details (cuz i can't type much rit now), 'aqd al-emlak was merged to be in one service "al-ekleel"=The Crowning Ceremony. Tee shory was the one chosen to be said in the new merged service. And that's what HICS records.

Where is your source for this?

Deacon Albair, HCOC Servant, says that it is "Tai Shori." Check for yourself in the Wedding Section of his "Khedmet Shamas" Book.
  • albair makes up a lot of things lol..  not a very good source
  • [quote author=Marenhos Epchois link=topic=10535.msg136992#msg136992 date=1304232597]
    albair makes up a lot of things lol..  not a very good source

oh....please don't say that.

[quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=10535.msg136989#msg136989 date=1304228584]
    Where is your source for this?
    Deacon Albair, HCOC Servant, says that it is "Tai Shori." Check for yourself in the Wedding Section of his "Khedmet Shamas" Book.

i know that.......but i follow the guidance of my church priest....other than that, here: http://www.theholysynod.copticpope.org/aspect23.htm
    there are many of the declarations of the holy Synod. from the bottom, go up to number 5 (meeting on May 29, 1999):
    "Tee shory is said and ten-oo-osht and the specific Pauline of the Ekleel is read (from Ephesians)...."
  • Ekhrestos anesty
    Well said Mina... guys for the billionth time, separate services have their own rites even when they fall on whatever day...
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=10535.msg137049#msg137049 date=1304292631]
    Ekhrestos anesty
    Well said Mina... guys for the billionth time, separate services have their own rites even when they fall on whatever day...
    Oujai

Just because weddings are usually held on Sundays in the US nowadays and "Tai Shori" is chanted on Sundays during liturgy, doesn't mean we are combining the two services. They are still separate services.

With your logic, we might as well take out "Tai Shori" and "Tee Shori" during Good Friday service because the former is only chanted on Sundays and the latter is chanted during normal weekdays (excluding the Holy 50 days) and Good Friday is neither a Sunday nor any normal weekday. With this logic, we can also do that for many hymns but we don't because even though they are separate services, they have some of the same hymns chanted.
  • Ekhrestos anesty,
    Dear kmeka, your last paragraph is exactly the opposite of my point. Your deduction of "my" logic is nowhere near what I meant, but I'm glad because your reasoning proved what I wanted to say, so I hope you agree with me now...
    Oujai
  • Tai shori should ALWAYS be chanted during weddings no matter what day of the week it is.

Tishori is only chanted on fasting days, and weddings cannot be conducted on a fast day (if my understanding is correct).
  • [quote author=tenoosht link=topic=10535.msg138724#msg138724 date=1306717136]
    Tai shori should ALWAYS be chanted during weddings no matter what day of the week it is.

Tishori is only chanted on fasting days, and weddings cannot be conducted on a fast day (if my understanding is correct).

i have one comment.....have you read the rest of the post before you say this?! if not...please do so before you just throw words.