Maro-ou chasf- English

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you has or knows of a recording for the papal hymn sung right before
the psalm, in english. This website already has the coptic, but I needed the english for alahn classes in church,
so the kids can listen to it at home.
God bless, Pray for me,
Cyril

Comments

• [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10515.msg127758#msg127758 date=1295643776]
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any of you has or knows of a recording for the papal hymn sung right before
    the psalm, in english. This website already has the coptic, but I needed the english for alahn classes in church,
    so the kids can listen to it at home.
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril

we, the seraphim chorus recorded one.....but i am not sure where it is. sorry.
    we constructed exactly lik the coptic hazzat. maybe you can do that....not that hard.

WAIT, i found it and found something awseom with it...o-oinee afshai in the fast tune...just in english (don't hate me ophedace):
    http://seraphimchorus.com/Recordings/Psalm and Let them exalt him.mp3
  • ophedace is going to come to america and he will find you mina :D
  • Minagir:

Are the English Recordings according to the construction of SUS Diocese, or did you guys construct them yourselves? We will begin unifying our responses in our congregation, but the SUS recordings are really poorly made so I'm looking for clearer recordings. What do ya think?
  • NO comment. I just hope all of us give Coptic more of an importance in our life. After all if my grandfather leaves me something before he dies then I'll keep it cherished forever even though by the world's standards, or in a foreign country I choose to live in it's worth nothing. It's only worth how much I (and the people of my community) value it.
    God bless us all and bless our services always...
    Oujai
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=10515.msg127763#msg127763 date=1295646966]
    Minagir:

Are the English Recordings according to the construction of SUS Diocese, or did you guys construct them yourselves? We will begin unifying our responses in our congregation, but the SUS recordings are really poorly made so I'm looking for clearer recordings. What do ya think?

use these: http://seraphimchorus.com/english_resp.html

The above ones were recorded for the purpose of unity. It was recorded by a couple of deacons from the tri-state so there church can use it. it was recorded......tons of cds were made....every priest in the US received a cd from the Pope in the priests convention that year (4 yrs ago maybe) and the Pope said everyone must use this. this was all done with the guidance of Anba David of course. now, the first church to use was us, Saint Mark's West Side....we sepnd around 3 month into the process of changing and we been using them since than. some churches used it for a while but now, not much do. deacons demaghhom ray-aa.

The thing is that they are constructed exactly on the coptic hazzat with the consideration of the english language.....ya3ny for example instead of saying "Weeeee Bee-eee-ee-e-lieve" we say, "Weeee Beleieee-ee-eeve" (can't count the e's right but you get what i am saying). i personally think this one is better than the ones that Albair recorded with HCOC...better than what the Southern uses now (i know since i prayed a lot in the monastery) and better than what the LA diocese use (i heard recordings).

There are also the Abouna Antonious Tanious one....but they are constructed on the arabic....which doesn't do will with english.

hear them and tell me what you think.
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=10515.msg127761#msg127761 date=1295645424]
    ophedace is going to come to america and he will find you mina :D

oh....ye-sharaf anytime. i'll give him my address. :)
  • Thanks guys. I the recording from the coptichymnsinenglish.net, the hymn is different then the text on this
    website. Regarding the hymn from the seraphimchorus, I liked that one. But it says "for He has made The
    family like a flock  of sheep," but in this website, http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1328 it says His family.
    Which one is correct?
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • Does it seem like the seraphim choir recordings sound off and are less spiritual?... I really hope it doesn't become a standard in all U.S. churches.
  • [quote author=coptic boy777 link=topic=10515.msg127803#msg127803 date=1295710166]
    Does it seem like the seraphim choir recordings sound off and are less spiritual?... I really hope it doesn't become a standard in all U.S. churches.

Yea I agree, I am not feeling the spirituality of the hymn when they sing it :(
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=10515.msg127805#msg127805 date=1295710668]
    [quote author=coptic boy777 link=topic=10515.msg127803#msg127803 date=1295710166]
    Does it seem like the seraphim choir recordings sound off and are less spiritual?... I really hope it doesn't become a standard in all U.S. churches.

Yea I agree, I am not feeling the spirituality of the hymn when they sing it :(

Thank you! im not the only one.
  • Of course, nothing can compare to coptic.
    I like it. For some reason, I don't see spirituality in hymns exepct (mainly) coptic long hymns.
    Anywyas, back to my question please:[quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10515.msg127799#msg127799 date=1295709384]
    The hymn from the seraphimchorus, says "for He has made The
    family like a flock  of sheep," but in this website, http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1328 it says His family.
    Which one is correct?

GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • i dono what you guys are talking about but i love them.......best recording recording-wise and effort i have heard IN ENGLISH.

also, these are simple short responses....even the aspasmos i still consider a short hymn.....what spiritually are you gonna ask for?
    if you like that playing around with hymns and extension of hazzat and high and low and all of that....you are not gonna find that in our recording...or any successful chorus recording in fact. Listen to HICS and you'll understand.

when we recording things in english we always do as that recording may become a standard. therefore we let all of NICE VOICE to be mixed with the rest......we are a chorus....a harmonic voice that is recorded live with no editing manipulation other than a couple of enhancement. They are there to learn from in the best possible way and for YOU to make it spiritual.

• I agree with mina, a chorus is not meant to relay spirituality in a sound booth or a recording session. The purpose of a recording is for you guys to learn the hymns. Plan and simple. If in fact if you can pull "a spirituality" from a recording, most likely because its live and you are listening to them actually PRAY.

The issue, if i may say this, is that many young deacons almost treat these recordings as secular music. When a new HCOC album comes out its like a kanye west album coming out as well or something. Believe it or not, hymns can become a stumbling block where you are so focused on each hazza, the pronunciation etc that you are forgetting the point of what you are saying. We all must remember that first and foremost, these hymns are prayers, not music to listen to for enjoyment. We are blessed to be in an age where these recordings are readily available to those who wish to learn at home and repeat what is going on in a hymns class or even teach themselves if necessary. Lets remember to stick to prayers and not idolizing one recording over another or one cantor over another. In the end, its all for His glory and a means to an end, not the end.

God Bless
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10515.msg127829#msg127829 date=1295721444]
    a kanye west

min dah???????  ;D
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10515.msg127815#msg127815 date=1295716944]
    Of course, nothing can compare to coptic.
    I like it. For some reason, I don't see spirituality in hymns exepct (mainly) coptic long hymns.
    Anywyas, back to my question please:[quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10515.msg127799#msg127799 date=1295709384]
    The hymn from the seraphimchorus, says "for He has made The
    Which one is correct?

GB, PFM,
    Cyril

ohh....i forgot to answer.....that recordings we have from the 2nd edition of the Southern Diocese book....a little different.
    also i kind of didn't get time to update the text library.
  • Very well said jydeacon. Some people may argue that even treating hymn production CD's like chart bestsellers is not a bad thing, and I do agree to an extent, but you hit the nail on the head I guess...
    Oujai
  • I have nothing to do with this thread but I just wanted to celebrate my 700's post with you guys.

Back to studying for Chemistry..
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10515.msg127830#msg127830 date=1295721698]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10515.msg127829#msg127829 date=1295721444]
    a kanye west

min dah???????  ;D

Lol mina he is a rapper ahah.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10515.msg127768#msg127768 date=1295648808]
    [quote author=Tishori link=topic=10515.msg127763#msg127763 date=1295646966]
    Minagir:

use these: http://seraphimchorus.com/english_resp.html

The above ones were recorded for the purpose of unity. It was recorded by a couple of deacons from the tri-state so there church can use it. it was recorded......tons of cds were made....every priest in the US received a cd from the Pope in the priests convention that year (4 yrs ago maybe) and the Pope said everyone must use this. this was all done with the guidance of Anba David of course. now, the first church to use was us, Saint Mark's West Side....we sepnd around 3 month into the process of changing and we been using them since than. some churches used it for a while but now, not much do. deacons demaghhom ray-aa.

The thing is that they are constructed exactly on the coptic hazzat with the consideration of the english language.....ya3ny for example instead of saying "Weeeee Bee-eee-ee-e-lieve" we say, "Weeee Beleieee-ee-eeve" (can't count the e's right but you get what i am saying). i personally think this one is better than the ones that Albair recorded with HCOC...better than what the Southern uses now (i know since i prayed a lot in the monastery) and better than what the LA diocese use (i heard recordings).

There are also the Abouna Antonious Tanious one....but they are constructed on the arabic....which doesn't do will with english.

hear them and tell me what you think.

Unfortunately the LA diocese does not have a standard. Every church you will attend sings a little bit differently..
  • I'm not saying the recording is bad. I'm saying its a completely different tune... it doesnt sound like any of the ENGLISH responses that i've learned... is there a reason to why the tune have changed?
  • [quote author=coptic boy777 link=topic=10515.msg127864#msg127864 date=1295744117]
    I'm not saying the recording is bad. I'm saying its a completely different tune... it doesnt sound like any of the ENGLISH responses that i've learned... is there a reason to why the tune have changed?

What are we talking about exactly?
  • But which translation is right?
    His ot The family...
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10515.msg128019#msg128019 date=1295914656]
    But which translation is right?
    His ot The family...
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril

not that serious of a change.....just differrent translation followd
  • It's the fault of the cantors who made these hymns back then :), they made such beautiful tunes that sometimes we forget what we're saying and just focus on the beautiful tune.

Whereas if we were to sing these beautiful tunes while our hearts are praying, it would be the most beautiful thing on Earth.

O, and I agree with jydeacon :) ... thaaat Kanye West is rapper  ;D ;D ;D
  • mina, did you guys record the deacon responses or no?
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=10515.msg128034#msg128034 date=1295936833]
    mina, did you guys record the deacon responses or no?

not exactly.....it was thought of but it was a priority since you don't need it them as much simply because there is only one person responding rather than a group that is supposed to sing into one harmonious voice.

we were planning to record a full english liturgy with anba david.....we did parts of it but we never finished....
  • Seriously, His or The?
    I know it is not a big difference, but I need to know the right translation.
    Cyril