Tarh El Falaa (Exposition of the Doers)

pp
edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
When can we chant the Difnar intro in this tune? I heard a recording from Fr. Mettias Nasr chanting the Kiahk Difnar [coptic]Pi`,rictoc Pencwtyr[/coptic] intro in this tune and so I wanted a specification of when we can chant since I have memorized it.

Comments

• [quote author=aem581 link=topic=10199.msg124733#msg124733 date=1292477507]
    When can we chant the Difnar intro in this tune? I heard a recording from Fr. Mettias Nasr chanting the Kiahk Difnar [coptic]Pi`,rictoc Pencwtyr[/coptic] intro in this tune and so I wanted a specification of when we can chant since I have memorized it.

despite the ambiguity of the tunes of the commentaries in our church, tarh el-fa3la is supposedly parallel to the tune of Chi-o-oinee, the commentary of the Eve of the Resurrection. i think m Fahim was the one who rakeep the tune of tarh el-fa3la (which was recorded by m. Mikhael--i think) on chiooine because of a small reference in the Nahdet el-kanaies khidmit el-shamas where it's written in the rite of the liturgy of the eve of the Resurrection, "and after the gospel, the commentary is chanted on the tune of Tarh el-fa3la."
  • Why would the Tarh El Falaa tune be used during Kiahk if it's used in Resurrection? Like what is the tune for the Difnar for Lent?
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=10199.msg124736#msg124736 date=1292479823]
    Why would the Tarh El Falaa tune be used during Kiahk if it's used in Resurrection? Like what is the tune for the Difnar for Lent?

As far as the difnar goes, aside from feasts I don't think there is a seasonal tune. I know that there are many overlaps with great lent and Kiahk. But The difnar should be annual I would assume?
  • That's where the ambiguity IS....we can't answer these questions without knowing the "rest" of the tunes of the difnar and commentaries.....btw, there is  a difference between a difnar reading and a commentary reading. ACTUALLY, in kiahk there are commentaries and but i think monks read both: commentary and difnar reading after.
  • Tarh al falaa is the name of the exposition for Kiahk because it starts out, "The Lord of the vineyard called servants saying, "Give them their wages..." It is an expansion of Matthew 20. The last line of the commentary is the part that is sung. "Pikhristos Pensoter" is "Christ our Savior give them their wages instead of their suffering in the heavenly kingdom." Strangely, any commentary or tarh throughout the year chants the first line or two, not the last.

On a side note, Tarh el falaa should be translated as "The exposition of the workers", not "the exposition of the doers" for many reasons. First, the Arabic translation omitted a part of the first line. The Arabic/English translation says, "دعا رب الكرم وكيله وقال له: أعطهم الأجرة وأبدأ من الآخرين إلي الأولين، ديناراً لكل واحد. " But the Coptic says, "The Lord of the vineyard called his servants? saying, "Call the workers. Give them their wages. Start from the last ones to the first ones; a denari for each one". Secondly, Matthew 20:1 says,  “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard."

Now keep in mind, tarh el falaa is also the name of the tune. So the tune can and is used in the Resurrection Feast where that exposition is sung in the tarh el falaa tune. The same usage is found in the terms Batos and Adam. It refers to a day when a particular hymn is said and it also refers to their respective tunes.

And as Mina said, there are many commentaries/expositions said during Kiahk Psalmody. These include the a commentary for each of the four hooses, one for the Commemoration of the saints, the first 6 parts of the Theotokia, one for Shere ne Maria, one for the 7th part of the theotokia (shasf ensop emmini), one for the eighth part of the theotokia (Avmoti ero), one for the Workers/doers, one for Neknai O Panoti, and one for the Praise of the Angels. All of these commentaries/explanations/expositions can be sung in their respective annual tunes, but most people just read them.
    George
  • Dear Remenkimi,
    Of course you know this better than I do: but we're just going round in circles aren't we? This has to happen when you literally translate Arabic expressions without paying too much attention to the essence of what's being translated...