Washing of the vessels

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi all,

I was wondering, what are you supposed to tell abouna if you are the deacon holding the candle at the end of the service beside the paten? When abouna is done cleaning it, he usually show the paten to another abouna and he says shere...
What are you supposed to say?
Thanks for your help,
Pray for me, God bless,

Cyril

Comments

• Shere Piestavros (hail to the cross)
  • Is that is? Only shere pistavros?
  • Yes it is Cyril97! Only shere pistavros!
  • Shere pi-estavros ente penchois esos piekhrestos.
    Hail to the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.

ALSO, it's the abouna who says it but YOU, the deacon who is watching the paten with abouna for any pearls that might still be there.
  • Thanks.
    I seriously thought the thread just died with no answer...
    Thanks again,
    Cyril
  • Mina, you sure? I was taught that it's the deacon that says it to the priest, not the other way around.. or the priest says "Shere pi-estavros ente penchoice Isos Piekhristos" and the deacon responds with "Shere piestavros"?

My priest told me how once when he finished cleaning the paten, he showed it to the deacon (waiting to hear Shere Piestavros), and the deacon responded with "Menawar ya Abouna".
    Those deacons.. funny people.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10138.msg127652#msg127652 date=1295567162]
    Mina, you sure? I was taught that it's the deacon that says it to the priest, not the other way around.. or the priest says "Shere pi-estavros ente penchoice Isos Piekhristos" and the deacon responds with "Shere piestavros"?

a priest waits for the deacons answer on what he sees. If there another priest, sometimes they also search with the deacon....nothing wrong with an extra set of eyes. but think about it, if a deacon does see something there, what will the deacon say?
    it is a response and a declaration from the deacon to abouna that the Body is done.

My priest told me how once when he finished cleaning the paten, he showed it to the deacon (waiting to hear Shere Piestavros), and the deacon responded with "Menawar ya Abouna".
    Those deacons.. funny people.

that's a true story.... ;D
  • I think we were misunderstanding each other. I get you though; you agree with me that the deacon does respond to Abouna, right?
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10138.msg127656#msg127656 date=1295567996]
    I think we were misunderstanding each other. I get you though; you agree with me that the deacon does respond to Abouna, right?

yeah.