What nationality was Our Lord Jesus Christ when He was born?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,

can someone tell me what nationality our Lord Jesus Christ was on the day He was born?

Thanks

Comments

• He is not a Nazarene as Im sure some people will say, but he is from Judea. Bethlehem was a city in Judea
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7455.msg98494#msg98494 date=1229557511]
    He is not a Nazarene as Im sure some people will say, but he is from Judea. Bethlehem was a city in Judea

He is a Nazarene, He is Jesus of Nazareth, and I many church fathers have said He is. We are all Nazerene's when we become baptized, who told you He wasn't?
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7455.msg98496#msg98496 date=1229558520]
    [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7455.msg98494#msg98494 date=1229557511]
    He is not a Nazarene as Im sure some people will say, but he is from Judea. Bethlehem was a city in Judea

He is a Nazarene, He is Jesus of Nazareth, and I many church fathers have said He is. We are all Nazerene's when we become baptized, who told you He wasn't?

Sorry for my ignorance, but Nazareth was in Judea? am I right? What nationality would He have been then?

A Judeaian ?

Its just that Nazareth wasn't the country then... was it.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7455.msg98497#msg98497 date=1229559072]
    [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7455.msg98496#msg98496 date=1229558520]
    [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7455.msg98494#msg98494 date=1229557511]

Sorry for my ignorance, but Nazareth was in Judea? am I right? What nationality would He have been then?

A Judeaian ?

Its just that Nazareth wasn't the country then... was it.

And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarene.” Matthew 2:23 I don't think it would be any clearer

• this is a good question'
    i have no ideaa

it did say he was a nazarene

but u cant say he was bethelehaem u noe?
    lol
    +mahraeel+
  • At what point in time was the land in which Our Lord was born in called Palestine.
    What were the names of this land throughout history?

Biblically speaking, the first name given to this land was Canaan. I could conclude that Christ was therefore a Canaanite.
  • the province where the Lord was born was called Judea (I also found sources saying Palestina), so technically He was Judean (Palestinian), however, 'Nazarene' refers to the city of Nazareth and not a nation where He would get His nationality, so the Nazarene might be a nickname, just like Leonardo da Vinci is called so because he was from the city of Vinci, whereas his nationality was Italian...
  • To be honest, I do not think that He would have a nationality since He is not of the world. Yes, I believe that He's human, yet nationality is of no importance or relevance. Saying that, I believe that he is God and man, and nationality isn't really an issue.
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7455.msg98552#msg98552 date=1229637183]
    To be honest, I do not think that He would have a nationality since He is not of the world. Yes, I believe that He's human, yet nationality is of no importance or relevance. Saying that, I believe that he is God and man, and nationality isn't really an issue.

Have you ever seen Abouna Makary, the one who is famous for performing excorsisms? Every time he comes to a person who have a demon inside him, or even if they are just very ill, he always "in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth". That quote is part of his prayer that he uses every single time, he said he does not even know where he got this prayer from, when he was in his late 20's and he performed his first excorsism ever these words just came to him and he knew it was the Holy Spirit telling him from now on you will say this same prayer every single time you pray for some1. So God himself practically told him to always say "Jesus Christ of Nazareth". I dont know what is so significant about saying the Nazareth part but im sure its of some significance.
  • The Lord is referred to as the son of David. King David is from the tribe of Judah one of the 12 tribes of Israel. When Israel and Judah split, anyone from the kingdom of Judah was called a Jew, and the religion practiced was called Judaisim. The word 'Jew'  comes from the term Judah. Following this analogy, the Lord would have a Jewish Citizenship.Sometimes Israel is also called the Jewish state. I ,therefore, think that being a Jew incorporates both religion and national identity.
  • wait so there is no such thing as a black or white jesus?
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7455.msg98552#msg98552 date=1229637183]
    To be honest, I do not think that He would have a nationality since He is not of the world. Yes, I believe that He's human, yet nationality is of no importance or relevance. Saying that, I believe that he is God and man, and nationality isn't really an issue.

But His nationality was VERY important! He was a Jew! He had to be descended directly from the line of King David, that was one of the predictions about the Messiah. He had to be a Jew in order to 'transfer' God's covenant over to the Gentiles as well

God bless
  • Many Orthodox (especially those of Mid-East descent) tend to hesitate in calling the Lord Jesus a jew because of some Modern Palestinian political views. The most they will call Him is 'Palestinian' instead of Jewish. He was a Palestinian Jew. Period. If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it must be a .... duck!
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=7455.msg98630#msg98630 date=1229812049]
    The Lord is referred to as the son of David. King David is from the tribe of Judah one of the 12 tribes of Israel. When Israel and Judah split, anyone from the kingdom of Judah was called a Jew, and the religion practiced was called Judaisim. The word 'Jew'  comes from the term Judah. Following this analogy, the Lord would have a Jewish Citizenship.Sometimes Israel is also called the Jewish state. I ,therefore, think that being a Jew incorporates both religion and national identity.

perfect couldn't have said it any better !!!

at the time of the Roman empire, the state of israel was referred to as Palestine.  Our Lord's nationality was Jewish !!!
    and no there is no such thing as black or white Jesus, just jewish Jesus :-)
  • [quote author=Boricua_Orthodox link=topic=7455.msg100667#msg100667 date=1236035788]
    Many Orthodox (especially those of Mid-East descent) tend to hesitate in calling the Lord Jesus a jew because of some Modern Palestinian political views. The most they will call Him is 'Palestinian' instead of Jewish. He was a Palestinian Jew. Period. If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it must be a .... duck!

Boricua, are you saying our Lord was Palestinian?
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7455.msg100822#msg100822 date=1236374834]
    [quote author=Boricua_Orthodox link=topic=7455.msg100667#msg100667 date=1236035788]
    Many Orthodox (especially those of Mid-East descent) tend to hesitate in calling the Lord Jesus a jew because of some Modern Palestinian political views. The most they will call Him is 'Palestinian' instead of Jewish. He was a Palestinian Jew. Period. If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then it must be a .... duck!

The question was about the nationality, as in what nation He was from
    Jewish is not a nationality, it's a religion, the land was called Palestine (according to some Roman sources)

God bless
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7455.msg100835#msg100835 date=1236427050]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7455.msg100822#msg100822 date=1236374834]
    [quote author=Boricua_Orthodox link=topic=7455.msg100667#msg100667 date=1236035788]

The question was about the nationality, as in what nation He was from
    Jewish is not a nationality, it's a religion, the land was called Palestine (according to some Roman sources)

God bless

but wouldn't you say in the case of Judaism that the term "Jewish" entails nationality and religion? Thats why we say that Christ was Jewish because he was of Jewish descent and he was circumcised into the Jewish Religion.

peace and love
  • Well yeah, if you look at it that way, but officially, the state where he was from was called Palestine, but I'm sure you're right also :)

God bless
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7455.msg100853#msg100853 date=1236549985]
    Well yeah, if you look at it that way, but officially, the state where he was from was called Palestine, but I'm sure you're right also :)

God bless

lol its not about being right but just knowing the truth !!! i hope im right lol :-)
  • QT, He wasn't a Palestinian Arab but a Palestinian Jew! Jew is a religious and cultural identity. Palestian by birth. Since Israel is in Palestine He was also Israeli :o!
  • Wait wait wait, the term 'Jewish' refers to religion AND A RACE. If you look it up its classified as an 'ethnoreligious' term, meaning both a religious and ethnic designation. Central to the Jewish religion is the Israelite (or Hebrew) people, the Lord's chosen race. Just like you had the Babylonians and the Persians, you had the Israelites whom many Jewish people would trace their ancestry back to. Judaism is of course a religion and non-Jewish people do become Jews, but 'authentic' Jews are descendants of an actual, tangible genetically traceable race of people from the middle east. And according to the Gospels Jesus was one of them, because Matthew states that Mary was descended from King David. His blood had to be JEWISH if He was to fulfill the prophecies made by the prophets.
  • According to the Tewahido Church of Ethiopia, Our Lord Jesus Christ is an Ethiopian -- as our Holly Mother Mary an Ethiopian. Please do make make me a favor to check out this interesting Website. I am eager to hear the opinion of my Egyptian brothers and sisters on it.

http://ethkogserv.org/QandA.htm
  • Well i look at the whole situation differently because i believe that he was of some kind of black decent because the bible suggests so, if you read close enough and know how to comprehend the word, but the world have made there own image of him which i think is very wronge. the bible states that his people will be in bondage and will be takin from there home land in chains and would never return and be sold to edom (the white man). So think about it, the only people like that were slaves, no other people were treated like. And everything in this statement is not an opinion its fact look it up i will be glad to supply anyone with the books and the verses that you can find it in
  • [quote author=taeboutsthat2 link=topic=7455.msg101488#msg101488 date=1238660350]
    Well i look at the whole situation differently because i believe that he was of some kind of black decent because the bible suggests so, if you read close enough and know how to comprehend the word, but the world have made there own image of him which i think is very wronge. the bible states that his people will be in bondage and will be takin from there home land in chains and would never return and be sold to edom (the white man). So think about it, the only people like that were slaves, no other people were treated like. And everything in this statement is not an opinion its fact look it up i will be glad to supply anyone with the books and the verses that you can find it in

what are you talking about.
    first, slaves weren't ALL black.
    second, even if God's people were sent to bondage....they were their origin is what matters.
    third, it was said already, He was a Palestinian-Jew. He was neither a "black" or "white"
  • [quote author=taeboutsthat2 link=topic=7455.msg101488#msg101488 date=1238660350]
    the bible states that his people will be in bondage and will be takin from there home land in chains and would never return and be sold to edom (the white man). So think about it, the only people like that were slaves, no other people were treated like.

The Jews were taken from their homeland many, many times during their history by the Babylonians, the Romans etc. When taken in a first century context, that description fits the Jews much better than it does the black slaves. Besides that, if Jesus was of African descent, pretty much the only way he could've got to Jerusalem would have been as a slave, there is no way he would have gained the respect of masses of Jews or convince them that He was the King of the JEWS if He wasn't JEWISH.
  • Wasnt Christ a Jew from the tribe of Juda?
  • Our Lord Jesus Christ is a descendant of King David from the tribe of Judah. He was born in the city of Bethlehem. However, during His time, Judah was called Palestine. Thus, He is a Palestinian Jew.

Please, nobody say he "was" a this or that. Our Lord is still alive, and when you attribute characteristics to him, you say he is a Jew, Palestinian, etc. Many non- believers view this site, and we must be careful what information we give them.