When we die...

edited September 2006 in Faith Issues
what happens?

Comments

• When our souls die, the righteous souls go to paradise and the evil ones go to hades, they will await the second coming, the resurrection of the bodies, and after that the judgement day. On the judgement day the evil people will be punished and will go to the hell, together with satan and his angels, and the righteous will go to the Heavenly Jerusalem with the Lord. Is this enough? or do u want to know more? :)
  • The waiting place is the paradise OR hades, there we await the resurrection etc, its just the waiting place, the righteous will feel glad, because they feel that they are waiting for the Heavenly Jerusalem, while the wicked will be scared and anxious becaus they know they didnt live a good life. Compare it too school, after the exam, u have the student who knows he studied well and did well on the exam, he will be waiting knowing that he did well, while the student who didn't study knows what his result will be.

Judgement day is:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. (Matthew 25)

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev 20)
  • i dont understand that..when the martyrs died..like in the saint videos..St. George..St. Abanoub...St. Marina etc...they were all like seeing heaven before they died or saw and heard voices of angels singing and praising so...werent they going to heaven then..so u mean they r just in a "waiting place" now ...and

so until the 2nd coming we just wait-- like do nothing-- ?????????????? they cant just be doing nothing ???so...what r they doing?
  • They are in paradise, so they are praying on our behalf and enjoying being with God, it seems logical to me, but they dont feel time like we do, caus they aren't in the flesh anymore, its hard to realise how it feels to be dead i guess ::)
  • the righteous will feel glad, because they feel that they are waiting for the Heavenly Jerusalem

so.....are the righteous WITH GOD in PARADISE..or they wont be with God and see Him till judgment day????????? :-\ ???
  • It's said that nobody in the flesh can see GOd and live, and these people aren't in the flesh anymore, so i guess they will see God, but i'm not sure, anybody???
  • ya they will see Him..."Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." 1 John 3:2
    but i mean do they see Him now in paradise or they dont get to see Him till judgment day..they r no longer in the flesh now..so does that mean that they are with God now..and if they r with God now and see Him..then what would be the difference between paradise and heaven..
    i hope this makes sense....
  • Hey guys,

In the begining man was in paradise and fell. In paradise God made a promise to man that if he obeyed the commandment he would be transferred to heaven. Technically when we die in the faith we are returned to paradise. Remember passion week and all the themes about being allowed back into paradise? It is our restoral to our position prefall but as was intended from the begining man was not supposed to stay in paradise forever, this is a tempory place where the ones who are closest to God will be moved into a greater communion with Him.

We need to be careful here about terminology because heaven and hell are technical terms for both being in the presence of God or out of the presence of God. We would say for example that paradise is heaven because we are in God's presence, like God said that the kingdom is within us and it is on earth so long as we live with God. It has lots of different meaning but we often look at the most obvious one if it being a place we go to be with God when we die but as one of the fathers said, if you don't experience the kingdom on earth, you will never experience it in heaven.

The difference between paradise and heaven can be said to be that before judgement day, the resurrection will occur when our bodies will be raised and glorified and we will get glorified bodies like Christ had because before then we're just spirits in paradise.

God bless,

CS
  • i think u should just read the book of revelations :P
    and if there is something u dont know...ask sum1 who would know like an abouna.....sumtyms the info u get here isnt right, or prescise :-\
    i dont think u should worry about wen we die and this stuff coz no one knowz :P
    instead, worry about ur actions u do here on earth...
    its a bit scary, i know :-\... but u should b ready for wat comes after life...
    judgement day, etc...

nobody knows wer u go after u die....into like a waiting room or sumfin or straight to the Kingdom of Heaven...

i think that the onli souls in heaven at the moment is st.john the baptist, st.mary, angels, archangels, cherubim, seraphim,etc....................sumfin like dat....im not sure, plz correct me...
  • Heres somethng interesting, I guess we can sum the part about the unrigheous people and demons waiting in Hades, till judgement day. Right? But theirs a 'Word List' at the back of my Bible and as I was looking through it and I read the word "abyss" i think that was it but neways it said "Its a place deep deep into the EARTH where God put the demons in chains to await judgement day" So how then can these two statments work :-\? The only way to make these 2 statements not contradict eachother is to assume that Hades is deep deep into the earth, is this true? Someone please clear this all up for me :P Thanks ;)
  • There's no such thing as a hades deep down the earth ::), that id came from the ancien greek culture where there was the river people had to pass to go to the underworld, and this three headed dogs called charybdos or something, lol, hercules (anyone ::))
  • what do you mean there is no "Hades"..dont we say in the liturgy..somewhere " He descended into Hades through the cross"?
  • I mean, there's no such thing as a place deep down the earth where all the dead people are. He descended doesn't mean that he descended down the middle of the earth...
  • ok i get it..thanks for explaining :)

• I think it is good for anyone to think about future, especially
    he dies. At least one must be cautious to be quite close to
    GOD. He also quite sure that life like vapour can easily
    disappeared, hence he will treat all people asif he wants for
    himself. Best wishes for all in good life here on earth and
    soon with GOD in Paradise.
  • In my opanion, I think people should never think about the afterlife. Even though it is a very interesting topic, you can never get the perfect answer. You should try to get closer to God so you don't have to worry about Hades. Besides since nobody is positive about what Hades is or looks like or what happens there, some information can be invalid, and that can hurt you. Therefore instead of wondering about it (which I know is very hard), just try to do what is best, and at one point you will be so close to God that you won't even have to worry about Hades. ;)

May the Lord be with you in everything you do ;D!
  • actually pope shenouda wrote a book about this and 1 of our sunday school told us about this it's wonderful to hear it I really would like to find this book online of find it in our bookstore
  • I think it's right but that's only my opinion!
  • look guys the simplest thing we can do here is to be great christians, follow the commandments, set an example so we can meet our saviour wen it is our time. dont worry bout how, why or if- jus worry about reaching heaven.
  • but u have to think on how u r getting there, like u have to confess often and that kinda things so i think u should worry about how u r getting there because if ur not ready ur going to hell
  • but u have to think on how u r getting there, like u have to confess often and that kinda things so i think u should worry about how u r getting there because if ur not ready ur going to hell

:o :o :o
    rit but thats alittle scary! :'( :'(