Modern day Hermits

Does anyone know any modern day hermits who lived during the 20th century or any who have died lately?
thnx

Comments

• Actually, the only one I know of is Saint Thomas, but I'm sure there are still hermits that live in the monasteries w/o having people rush at them with questions and their issues.  I think there was a modern hermit but I seem to remember that he liked to be in solitude, sorry couldn't really help yuou there!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Abouna Abd Il Maseeh Il Manahry. He was an amazing saint who was, and still is, truly inspiring. He encountered Pope Kyrillos more than once and was a good friend of his.

Sleepy
  • I know two modern day hermits who are still alive.

-Abouna Fanous in St. Paul's Monastery
    -Abouna Samuel in St. Mina's Monastery

Abouna Samuel is not well known. I just had my own experience with him which certainly prooved he was a hermit. Also, he acts like Abouna Abd El messih who acted crazy so people don't find out about him being a hermit. Also, this year when I went to St. Mina's monastery, he knew that I knew he was a hermit so he refused to talk with me. He usually goes to the kitchen everyday to say hi to visitors, well, the specific day i went, he never came down. I'm pretty sure it was because of me because all the people in the kitchen were asking for him and were saying that this is the first time he doesn't come down to us after being a monk for such a long time. I really hope I can talk to him again.

PK
  • Abouna Youstos and Tamav Irene who just died like a year ago I think.
  • i actually think there's one in saitn anthony monestary in cali...
    i can't remember [or don't know] his name..but he only comes to masses...doesn't talk to anyone then..he like disappears.
    wait...is that what you mean by hermit?
    lol...sorry im kind of slow on things.
  • I hear Anba Elia, bishop of Khartoum, Sudan is a hermit.
  • wait...is that what you mean by hermit?

From my understanding:
    a hermit is one who is completely detached from the world.
    so basically he has no communication with people, just lives a solitary life, and then goes to mass, confesses, etc. and goes back to his life.
    his life is dedicated completly to God, and only God, he usually bears no responsiblity at the monastery, i.e. he isn't in charge of meeting with visitors, etc. due to the fact that he is isolated.
    In order to become a Hermit, one must have permission from his Abbot, who if he feels is spirtually strong enough to take the life of a hermit on, he allows him.
  • Yer thats right.

My sunday school teacher told me the story of a monk whose name was Abouna Louka who was in one of the monasteries in the wilderness of Shiheet (i think it was El-Baramos). His greatest virtue was silence and he lived in the furthest parts in the monastery. his one desire was to leave the monastery and live in the inner parts of the desert and be like the great saints like Aba Nofer and Anba Karas. he would never speak a word during the whole year except when he would ask the abbot to allow him to leave the desert but the abbot would say no. later on the abbot put him as Wakeel el Dar (Like the acting head of the monastery) and thus he had to give tour guides to all the visitors who came and visited the monastery. later on he became Pope Shenoudas secretary and thus had to speak even more, but his desire was still to go live in the desrt on his own. he later asked the abbot to let him go to the desert and the abbot let him go. No one knows anything about him now, as the abbot died without telling anyone which of the desert he had gone to. it has been roughly 30 years since he has gone to the desert and no one knows what has happened or become of him.
  • abflab, that's really strange. Never heard of him. Pretty sure he's gonna be a big saint. He probably will be like Anba Karas, until Anba Bemwa found out about him, nobody knew he existed. However, Pope Shenouda probably knows.
  • nah no one knows were he is, the only person that knew were he went to was the bishop of the monastery who died without telling anyone were he had gone
  • There is a modern day hermit, he is living amongst all of us now, his name is Abouna Abraam, he will be one of St. Thomas' beloved brothers!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6103.msg83899#msg83899 date=1205819328]
    There is a modern day hermit, he is living amongst all of us now, his name is Abouna Abraam, he will be one of St. Thomas' beloved brothers!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

where is he from
  • Egypt I believe, but he comes to visit Minnesota on occasion!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Are you guys talking about Abouna Abraam el Samouely If him he is in Upper Egypt. The one in St.Thomas's monastery.
  • If you provide me with your email I can show you what he looks like, from that I am not sure, so only the picture helps me!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • ya i guess you guys are talking about Abouna Abraam el Samuely, truly a great man he comes to america for treatment because bascially he is surviving on a quarter of his heart.
    He is the head of St. Thoma's Monastery in Akhmim, Sohag.
    I've heard he is illetrate, however that did not stop him from memorizing the Holy Bible.
    He truly serves as a modern day example of how sainthood is still attainable and he has been rumored (uncomfired) to be an Anachorite.
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=6103.msg83915#msg83915 date=1205867368]
    ya i guess you guys are talking about Abouna Abraam el Samuely, truly a great man he comes to america for treatment because bascially he is surviving on a quarter of his heart.
    He is the head of St. Thoma's Monastery in Akhmim, Sohag.
    I've heard he is illetrate, however that did not stop him from memorizing the Holy Bible.
    He truly serves as a modern day example of how sainthood is still attainable and he has been rumored (uncomfired) to be an Anachorite.

And now he got the honor of being one of St. Thomas' brothers. He is as you say remarkable!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • yea thas him, loca4christ.
  • Also there is Abouna Andrawes El-Samuely his movie is called visitor from heaven and its on this Website.

Also don't attack for saying this, but I'm pretty sure (not completely positive) Abouna Matta-El Meskine El Makari is on of them.

I also know that Pope kirollos (obviously) and then I heard mixed things about the late Anba Bimoa of El Khatatba, I know he was a hermit at the time of El-Sadat (things like he would get orbans out of no where and do the liturgy while in jail and also he would sign things and then later the officer wouldn't find his signature, etc...) but some people say that he might have fallen before he died and others say he was just faking being crazy. 
  • I love Abouna Andrawis El-Samueli, his movie makes me cry, only that type of passion to God will let you reach Heaven. Pope Kyrillos VI is TRULY AMAZING, I wish he was still here.. I'm currently listening to the newest CD of his called The Pope is in my heart (el baba feh alby)!! I love it, I never heard of Anba Bimoa of El Khatatba, do you giving a brief description of his if you know it??

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=6103.msg83915#msg83915 date=1205867368]
    he has been rumored (uncomfired) to be an Anachorite.

wat is an Anachorite?

God Bless

Coptic Pharaoh
  • It is mostly the same thing as a hermit.

and I really don't know much about Anba Bemoe other than the posted above, i don't think any body knows what happened to him
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6103.msg83931#msg83931 date=1205876972]
    and I really don't know much about Anba Bemoe other than the posted above, i don't think any body knows what happened to him

That's ok, thanks for trying anyway!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • An anchorite is what is refered to in arabic as a "sewah" like anba nopher or abouna abdel masseih el manahry el makari. A hermit is one who lives in solitude with limited contact with people.
    Abouna Abraam St. Thomas comes to South Carolina sometimes and is good friends with one of the members here. I have had the blessings of being around him and he is one of those monks who knows things about people he has never met from what i understand. I got to speak with him on the phone once, it was a blessing, though it is scary to think of someone who knows more about you than you've ever told him.
  • He is a blessing, he came to our church I believe 3 times, and one time I don't remember where exactly, but I heard he was going around a crowd and placing his hand on their foreheads, and one of the people in the congregation was blind, so Abouna Abraam put his hand on their face and they retained their original sight again!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • He came to our church a few times and I have a liturgy that he prayed in.
  • What a Blessing...we have Saints living with us and we say the age of Saints is over....

God Bless

Coptic Pharoah
  • I don't know if it is a good idea to talk about the saintly hood of living people, becuase the devil might tempt them and we don't know their true deeds until they die.
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6103.msg84191#msg84191 date=1206061748]
    I don't know if it is a good idea to talk about the saintly hood of living people, becuase the devil might tempt them and we don't know their true deeds until they die.

I agree with you