Advice on confession

2»

Comments

• listening to the following series on confession is very helpful. it was an entire retreat on this sacrament.

http://www.orthodoxsermons.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=92&Itemid=26
  • I'm not sure if this might be true or not, but I will give it a shot!! The most common solution is the fact that people aren't aware of the fact that many people are going through the same thing, asking a more professional adult who has gone through confession more then expected they will offer you very well advice!! Repentance may be hard, but first read the repentance prayer in the Agpeya than apologize on your behalf for the fact of your sins!! If I misinterrupted anything, please correct me!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6249.msg83677#msg83677 date=1205434327] people aren't aware of the fact that many people are going through the same thing
    That is it. I thouht that I was the only one who had gone through this and currently suffering from it. Knowing this relieves you a bit knowing that abouna will know all about this and is common.[quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=6249.msg83677#msg83677 date=1205434327]
    asking a more professional adult who has gone through confession more then expected they will offer you very well advice!

Yeah I found that to be good as a few people are posting me to help me. People who had gone through it all. It can somtimes be hard if it was an adult that  knows your identity. On this site all but a few people personally know me which makes me comfortable to discuss it directly without anybody knowing me.
    pray for me
  • Lost,
    We all fall through similar, if not the same, sins. I have to say, the devil is not very creative in coming up with new ways to make us fall!! The only advice I can give you is to pray and open your heart to God. Ask Him to forgive your sins and make your repentance acceptable before Him, and to give you the courage to speak openly before Abouna. You have to realize that Abouna is not actually a man whom you are telling about your sins, but a representative to God. His job in confession is to take your sins from you to God... after that he forgets everything. Trust me, no matter how bad your sins seem, Abouna will still forget it. Once, I thought that I'd done the worst thing in the world and I went to confess it. Abouna gave me the absolution and we went from there, but i fell into the same sin again. i went back to abouna about a month later to confess it again and Abouna had forgotten all about first time I went to confess that sin. Some people may think that maybe Abouna is acting like that just to make me comfortable, but I know that he had genuinely forgotten. Abouna knows all the sins that people fall into... he's heard it all!! nothing will make him change his opinion about you.

I know i've been rambling alot, but I hope this helped a little bit.

your sister in Christ,
    Marmoura

• At the end of the day we should strive to repent not just confess.

Repentance consists of
    1. Seeking to be in the pressence of God
    2. Regreting the sin that you commited
    3. Deciding to never return to that sin
    4. Confessing
    (Referr to the prodigal son story in the Bible)

As can be seen, confessing is the last step in the process.
    True repentance is never returning to sin, and this is something we should all aim to achieve.

Sorry if this doesn't answer anyones question, but there was no way I was going to read all those posts!!